How has P&O worked out the OBC for 2012?

qm2lover

Hi

There were lots of things about Ventura and P&O that we liked. However, I don't think we will be trying another P&O cruise unless there was an itinerary and price that we could not refuse. In actual fact, our goal is to try out as many cruiselines as we can and our next cruise is on the new Celebrity Silhouette next January.

Cannot really put a finger on what it was about P&O which has formed our decision but there just seemed to be something missing. As to Ventura, we personally think that it is being used to replace the Ocean Village ships. I don't mean regarding the cruise passengers but the entertainment - too many acrobats and tribute acts for us although there were a couple of excellent comedians and 'Masters of the House' was brilliant. Ventura is, however, a beautiful ship kept in immaculate condition - could not fault that.

One thing we really did not like was the buffet restaurant. They always seemed to be closing service areas down and sending us to the Beach House end of the restaurant, especially at breakfast time. We tried dinner there one night but, never again, absolute nightmare. Also we have never been on a cruise where the crockery was so thick and heavy. Added to a scalding hot tray, on many occasions, it was often too heavy for me to carry around the restaurant looking for a table. Also the buffet choice, compared to Princess, was quite limited and a bit 'samey'. Also missed the free lemonade and ice-cream that we had on Princess. Loved the McVities digestive though and also the in-cabin tea-making facility.

However, lots of things that we did like

• Our superior balcony cabin was lovely and we especially appreciated the bath in the bathroom. The cabin was identical to the mini-suites on Princess. We also liked the toiletries provided by P&O.
  • We liked the room service menu - much better than Princess.
  • We liked the food in the MDR - more to our taste than on Princess.
  • We liked the bar and wine prices much more than on Princess:D
  • We liked the covered swimming pool as a few of our seadays were a bit on the windy side. Many of the Princess ships have either done away with or do not have the covered pool facility, opting instead for the Dreadful MUTS:eek:
  • We liked always being able to get a sunbed when we wanted one:D
  • We loved The White Room and also the Beach House diner.
  • Liked having Costa coffee on board.

Thank you. We have the same trouble with sides of the buffet closing down whichever cruiseline we're on. I can never work out the system, so we rarely use the buffet except for a bit of lunch to eat outside.

We like to try different lines too and are looking forward to the Equinox next month.

Sorry to go off OBC topic :o.

Nope...we are still only on the first level, after this next cruise we go up a grade but at the moment, it's just "Ruby".

In the latest P&O brochure, it does detail what OBC you get with each cabin, £30 for an inside, £60 for an outside, £90 for a balcony and £140 for a suite and then ALL Portunus Club members get double the ObC.

We've received our receipt from P&O now and it does have the £360pp marked up on the statement. If you haven't been offered double on your cruise, I'd get in touch with your travel agent to sort it out.

Pringle

I have just rung our TA and she rang P&O who said that if our cruise had been a Portunus designed one, we would have got extra OBC. As it wasn't, we are just getting £90 p.p. - so you are very lucky indeed!!

Ahh...so now we know. I had no idea that the cruise we'd booked was one of their special "Portunus" listed cruises.

The brochure I have doesn't actually mention anything about being one of the member cruises...it's been the travel agent who have all said we would get double OBC because of being past cruisers.

I'm kind of glad though...the extra £360 will take a nice little chunk off my final statement! :D

Pringle

Archived