How has P&O worked out the OBC for 2012?

qm2lover

Hi

Does any know just how the OBC has been applied for next years cruises. (Not fly cruises).

We have booked a 16 night cruise basic cabin and have been given £40 OBC each.

We are Portunas members. Some people are saying this is being doubled for past passengers for next year. Is this the case?

As it has not been applied to us.

I do understand that the amount varies on cabin type and duration of cruise.

A neighbour has enquired about the same cruise and at first was told the OBC was £40 pp. Now she as been told it is £80 pp.

Does it say what OBC is applicable in the brochure anywhere?

(except fly cruises). It always used too. And if it does where is it please?

(There is only brief details on page 256, but does not give actual rate.)

It has crossed my mind that the actual amounts have not been published so that extra can be given for various reasons for some people.

~ think someone said a relative had been awarded more OBC then they had. And because my neighbour didnt book immediately the OBC has been increased - dont know if this is from P&O or the TA , or if P&O have given some TAs discretion to increase the OBC or if the TA are doing it on their own any way despite what P&O have said about being no extra OBC.

Some people have said their OBC was doubled as a past passenger and others have said that their OBC was taken away as it was a Portunas/Penisular Club Cruise. Lots and Lots of different stories going round.

Any one got any ideas?

Hi qm2lover,

As I understand it OBC is given to any passengers (first 2 in cabin) for fly cruises only as they don't get free parking option. Portunus club members then get OBC for any cruises they do. However, that amount is variable depending on the cruise and the cabin type booked. Also, OBC is only available to passengers for cruises of 7 nights or over.

For some reason P&O have not published the amounts of OBC on offer to Portunus club members - you only find out about it by doing a dummy booking online or by ringing your TA or P&O for a quote.

Feebee_71

Dont know how it works but we booked an inside on Ventura for next April (14 nights) and got £60 total and my daughter, with husband and two kids booked the same and got £110 total. Both with same TA.

Brian

We have just received a TA booklet with most 2012 P&O cruises with the OBC marked.

For a 13 night in Aug it is I/s £30 O/s £30 Bal. £80 Suite £130

For a 16 night it is 40...40...100....160

For a 7 night........20.....20....50....70

The above are fairly consistent through the fleet and are pp. There are some differences. These are all past passenger discounts, no mention of portunus or peninsular.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

We got £190pp for 23 nights - from Southampton.

Isn't that for this year though Gill. We were talking about next year, where the OBC seems to have been reduced.

Hi all,

Just booked last week for the Ventura in November 2012 and we've been given £180pp...a nice little amount of £360 for the two of us, great stuff!

Pringle

I think you will find that it's £90 per person/£180 per couple, as we have just booked ourselves.

I think you will find that it's £90 per person/£180 per couple, as we have just booked ourselves.

Erm...no it's definitely £360! It is £90pp but as we are Portunus Club members, it's doubled to £180pp, total £360 per cabin.

Pringle

We were on Ventura transatlantic last month. When we got on board we found that, in addition to the £100 each obc we had purchased along with our superior balcony cabin, we had another £100 each - making a total of £400 for the two of us. It was a very nice surprise and no idea how it was made up; I think £50 per person of it could have been a perk from our travel agent but I am not sure about that. Made it a nice inexpensive cruise for us as our total final bill was only £124:D

Just to say this was our first P&O cruise, although we had done an OV cruise some years ago.

Erm...no it's definitely £360! It is £90pp but as we are Portunus Club members, it's doubled to £180pp, total £360 per cabin.

Pringle

You must be a much higher grade Portunus Club members than we are then. We are only on the first rung.

You must be a much higher grade Portunus Club members than we are then. We are only on the first rung.

Nope...we are still only on the first level, after this next cruise we go up a grade but at the moment, it's just "Ruby".

In the latest P&O brochure, it does detail what OBC you get with each cabin, £30 for an inside, £60 for an outside, £90 for a balcony and £140 for a suite and then ALL Portunus Club members get double the ObC.

We've received our receipt from P&O now and it does have the £360pp marked up on the statement. If you haven't been offered double on your cruise, I'd get in touch with your travel agent to sort it out.

Pringle

Nope...we are still only on the first level, after this next cruise we go up a grade but at the moment, it's just "Ruby".

In the latest P&O brochure, it does detail what OBC you get with each cabin, £30 for an inside, £60 for an outside, £90 for a balcony and £140 for a suite and then ALL Portunus Club members get double the ObC.

We've received our receipt from P&O now and it does have the £360pp marked up on the statement. If you haven't been offered double on your cruise, I'd get in touch with your travel agent to sort it out.

Pringle

Could you tell me exactly where it mentions this please? I can't see it at all - and it doesn't tie in with our £190pp.

Portunas members do not get double.

We have just booked today and with our balcony we got £90 pp standard but also and extra £50 pp welcome back OBC. You also do not get any OBC if you havent sailed with P&O in the last 3 years:eek:

Could you tell me exactly where it mentions this please? I can't see it at all - and it doesn't tie in with our £190pp.

Hi Gill,

You'll find all the OBC details on the prices page of the brochure...I can't work out your £190 either, perhaps your travel agent could shed some light on it.

We have just booked today and with our balcony we got £90 pp standard but also and extra £50 pp welcome back OBC. You also do not get any OBC if you havent sailed with P&O in the last 3 years:eek:

We certainly did receive double for being a Portunus Member...as did another couple who booked wit us, perhaps it was a special offer for anyone who pre-registered for these cruises!

As for not receiving OBC if you haven't been with P&O for three years, that's rubbish as it'll have been four years since I was last with P&O and two of the couples going with us have never been with P&O and THEY HAVE received the OBC...albeit without the doubling up as they are not in the Portunus Club.

Before we pre-registered, I telephoned several travel agents and ALL offered us the £360 per cabin OBC...methinks you went to the wrong travel agent!

Pringle

That is exactly what happened to us today. I will query the 3 year rule that was stated.

I had booked a single outside cabin for cruise A224 Oct 12th 2012 - 24 days no fly to the Caribbean - online with P&O and didnt get any OBC, after reading many reports about receiving OBC, i decided to email P&O yesterday, and tonight have had a reply to say my account will be amended - and i will receive £100, OBC, thankyou to the people on this forum, I am grateful to you all, it all helps with the final bill. regards audrey.:D

I had booked a single outside cabin for cruise A224 Oct 12th 2012 - 24 days no fly to the Caribbean - online with P&O and didnt get any OBC, after reading many reports about receiving OBC, i decided to email P&O yesterday, and tonight have had a reply to say my account will be amended - and i will receive £100, OBC, thankyou to the people on this forum, I am grateful to you all, it all helps with the final bill. regards audrey.:D

Ive just e-mailed P&O regards the 3 year rule i was quoted. Lets see what they say.

That was a nice surprise Dorset Cruiser. The OBC goes a long way too on P&O doesn't it?

How did you like P&O compared to Princess? What did you think of Ventura?

Hi

There were lots of things about Ventura and P&O that we liked. However, I don't think we will be trying another P&O cruise unless there was an itinerary and price that we could not refuse. In actual fact, our goal is to try out as many cruiselines as we can and our next cruise is on the new Celebrity Silhouette next January.

Cannot really put a finger on what it was about P&O which has formed our decision but there just seemed to be something missing. As to Ventura, we personally think that it is being used to replace the Ocean Village ships. I don't mean regarding the cruise passengers but the entertainment - too many acrobats and tribute acts for us although there were a couple of excellent comedians and 'Masters of the House' was brilliant. Ventura is, however, a beautiful ship kept in immaculate condition - could not fault that.

One thing we really did not like was the buffet restaurant. They always seemed to be closing service areas down and sending us to the Beach House end of the restaurant, especially at breakfast time. We tried dinner there one night but, never again, absolute nightmare. Also we have never been on a cruise where the crockery was so thick and heavy. Added to a scalding hot tray, on many occasions, it was often too heavy for me to carry around the restaurant looking for a table. Also the buffet choice, compared to Princess, was quite limited and a bit 'samey'. Also missed the free lemonade and ice-cream that we had on Princess. Loved the McVities digestive though and also the in-cabin tea-making facility.

However, lots of things that we did like

• Our superior balcony cabin was lovely and we especially appreciated the bath in the bathroom. The cabin was identical to the mini-suites on Princess. We also liked the toiletries provided by P&O.
  • We liked the room service menu - much better than Princess.
  • We liked the food in the MDR - more to our taste than on Princess.
  • We liked the bar and wine prices much more than on Princess:D
  • We liked the covered swimming pool as a few of our seadays were a bit on the windy side. Many of the Princess ships have either done away with or do not have the covered pool facility, opting instead for the Dreadful MUTS:eek:
  • We liked always being able to get a sunbed when we wanted one:D
  • We loved The White Room and also the Beach House diner.
  • Liked having Costa coffee on board.

Archived