How do you get kids into camp if they don't want to

valtandc

The OP never said why she wanted her children to attend the camp.

I agree with the posters who say you don't make them go. It is their vacation too and it is a family vacation. If you don't want them with you, then don't bring them. If you want them to attend a camp with other children to get them socialized, then you (and they) would be better served by attending a day or overnight camp on dry land.

During one cruise, my darling niece refused to attend camp and even got sick one day. I really think it was because all her mother did, up until and during the cruise, was talk about partying for the week. Niece got the feeling that mom wanted to get rid of her and was having no part of it.

Maybe that is what the OP's kids are feeling. Mom/dad/parents want a vacation without us...no way.

Guess I'm one of the few that is THRILLED that my son (11) doesn't want to go to the club. He still wants to hang out with Mom. That is going to end very soon so I'm enjoying it while I can. He always meets one or two kids through the roll call or at the pool that he hangs with a bit, but he would rather spend most of his time with me. I'm so lucky!!

Guess I'm one of the few that is THRILLED that my son (11) doesn't want to go to the club. He still wants to hang out with Mom. That is going to end very soon so I'm enjoying it while I can. He always meets one or two kids through the roll call or at the pool that he hangs with a bit, but he would rather spend most of his time with me. I'm so lucky!!

Count DH and I in with the lucky group. DS(16) and DD(14) prefer hanging with us (85-90% of the time) or each other (10-15% of the time) on a cruise. I don't even bring up the kids clubs any more (although I am hoping on our NCL Epic cruise they make use of the teen area together since they will both be in the same age group for the first time ever). I love having my kids with me and we truly have fun together...Isn't that what a family vacation is supposed to be about?

Our cruises are family vacations. We take excursions, go to shows, waterworks, mini golf, play games go to the pool area all together.

We have gone to orientation for camp Carnival. It’s like a muster drill for kids. They can’t wait until it is over so they can go somewhere else to have fun. ;)

Act like you're the parent.

Tell, don't ask.

While I agree with that sentiment in most cases, I certainly don't in this one. I don't think forcing a child into camp Carnival is right if they aren't comfortable with it...I would force them to look at it with me and then tell them they could make that decision after the tour but not before.

If they sit through orientation and still don't want to participate, then they would be with me as it IS a family vacation.

Archived