Accessible tours: Costa Rica West Coast

Splinter

I know we have discussed this here before, but I would appreciate some links and/or phone contact numbers for companies that provide lift-van or bus tours in Costa Rica (west coast). I can't find the previous discussons, and the links I had saved are no good.

I have a friend who is going on a transcanal trip the end of this month, and he would not be able to transfer to a regular bus, van or car. He uses a power wheelchair.

I know we have discussed this here before, but I would appreciate some links and/or phone contact numbers for companies that provide lift-van or bus tours in Costa Rica (west coast). I can't find the previous discussons, and the links I had saved are no good.

I have a friend who is going on a transcanal trip the end of this month, and he would not be able to transfer to a regular bus, van or car. He uses a power wheelchair.

http://www.gowithwheelchairs.com/

Erik gave us the best tour we have ever had since the lead sled was attached to my butt. :) He knew not only what was available in the area of Puntareanes but how long each would take, any traffic problems and, amazingly, what the average person with various degrees of paraplegia, quadriplegia and MS can handle in the heat. His van was not just safe with 4 point tie downs but he carries, and can use, a full EMS kit not just a first aid case. He uses Ricon lifts and his prices are absolutely outstanding as they are for the entire van not per passenger. He is well stocked with bottled water, bottled juices, fruit that can be peeled and the air conditioning was just what I needed between the river trip and the canopy ride to be able to do both. I am so glad he talked me out of a side trip to a pottery maker or I would have been toast and we might have been late getting back.

The not so good part: Call Erik at the numbers on his web site but be prepared that he may not be doing tours in Costa Rica anymore. He did an a lot of good things in his area getting the river crocodile trips to be accessible and the people who run the rain forest canopy rides educated on how to best get specific PWDs situated in the time allowed. Not to mention accessible bathrooms built at a national rainforest park that is accessible during dry weather for a half mile or so. Unfortunately, the government in Costa Rica has made it very difficult for Erik to continue there. So he was working on getting restarted in Panama. If the trip stops in Panama then I would definitely take his tour there. Erik truly cares that his clients have the best time possible. I'll try to dig up my last letter from him to see if I have a faster contact number and will message it to you Splinter.

http://www.gowithwheelchairs.com/

Erik gave us the best tour we have ever had since the lead sled was attached to my butt. :) He knew not only what was available in the area of Puntareanes but how long each would take, any traffic problems and, amazingly, what the average person with various degrees of paraplegia, quadriplegia and MS can handle in the heat. His van was not just safe with 4 point tie downs but he carries, and can use, a full EMS kit not just a first aid case. He uses Ricon lifts and his prices are absolutely outstanding as they are for the entire van not per passenger. He is well stocked with bottled water, bottled juices, fruit that can be peeled and the air conditioning was just what I needed between the river trip and the canopy ride to be able to do both. I am so glad he talked me out of a side trip to a pottery maker or I would have been toast and we might have been late getting back.

The not so good part: Call Erik at the numbers on his web site but be prepared that he may not be doing tours in Costa Rica anymore. He did an a lot of good things in his area getting the river crocodile trips to be accessible and the people who run the rain forest canopy rides educated on how to best get specific PWDs situated in the time allowed. Not to mention accessible bathrooms built at a national rainforest park that is accessible during dry weather for a half mile or so. Unfortunately, the government in Costa Rica has made it very difficult for Erik to continue there. So he was working on getting restarted in Panama. If the trip stops in Panama then I would definitely take his tour there. Erik truly cares that his clients have the best time possible. I'll try to dig up my last letter from him to see if I have a faster contact number and will message it to you Splinter.

Totally agree with Northern Lite (Splinter). Erik is a unique and true find as a guide. We totally enjoyed our day in Costa Rica due to his knowledge and available accessibility of his van in the area. Bear in mind, Costa Rica is HOT, humid and roads are bumpy -- but all worth it in the end. We too enjoyed the aerial ride -- went from scooter to platform and then they took scooter away. When it came to the boat ride -- I declined as my husband, would say -- "looked buggy for the princess". and we spent time in a beautiful hotel area (gift shop, lunch, accessible ladies room). He's very adaptable and even went "flea market" shopping with me to get the best prices on Costa Rican "buys". We had a great time with him and he does remain in contact -- and is always updating his EMT courses in the states. Tell him B&V from NY said hi. Enjoy Costa Rica but be prepared for the heat.

His last e-mail address was eshzk1@gmail.com. Vicki

Archived