Freedom Review w/Pics: 4/3-4/10/2011, some good, some bad, some meh.

Falmouth: The big controversey:

So much is being said about Falmouth. It's not done, there's nothing to do there, ships should be going to other ports. Well, it's true, it isn't done, far from it. It will be years before it's done. But Mo Bay and Ochi are so close by, it isn't really a problem. We went to Rose Hall, it was a 20 minute cab ride. No big deal.

As for some of the things I've heard, drugs, crime, hookers, I saw none of those things. I saw police, fences, and buses to take us elsewhere. They also gave out free cute little RCCL backpacks that said Falmouth on them. For the rest of the cruise, you could identify your fellow passengers in port because they all had the same backpacks. I will post a pic of one pf the backpacks next.

But we had a wonderful day at Rose Hall, the waterslides are great, and anyone with kids will have a great time there.

Falmouth:

Port: C (unfinished, but lots of potential. Also run quite well, but a C because there's nothing there)

Hilton Rose Hall: A+++++

A side note, lots of people on excursions got back really late, we were sitting on our balcony watching the buses arrive way past when we were supposed to be gone. That's why some folks stick to ship run excursions, the boat waits for you. I prefer to do my own thing and just be on time.:)

Hi,

I would also like to add a few comments on Falmouth.

I have never stopped at a port before in the past and received a welcome like we did in Falmouth. They actually cared that we were there. No the port is not finished, but the areas we did walk through were very nicely done. Yes, there are fences everywhere giving it a bit of a compound feel, but I think that is due to all the construction still going on, to keep the passengers SAFE from wandering into a construction zone, and NOT to keep us locked in a sterile environment.

We shopped at some of the vendors booths,then made our way to the taxi/bus area. We were a group of 5 and wanted to go to Montego Bay.

We had absolutely no hesitation about leaving the Falmouth area on our own. We ended up in a JUTA van and our driver Patrice was an absolute JOY !!!!! We tentatively set a price at $20 per person, round trip. THen she said, "I will give you the best tour I can give you, and you pay me what you think it was worth". OK !!!!! Patrice looked after us all day. She took us to Doctor's Cave Beach, and checked up on us while we were there. We said we wanted to walk down the Hip Strip and go to Margaritaville. NO PROBLEM !!!! She will check in with us at 4pm when we need to leave. And she did. During our walk down the Hip Strip, every taxi driver there asked us if we needed a ride, but with a smile. We politely said no, we were taken care of, and they wished us a great day. The merchants along the Hip Strip were very reluctant to haggle, but you could get the odd discount. So Patrice took us to another shopping area along the way back to the ship. I told her I was looking for a bikini in Jamaican colors, and she did everything in her power to help me find one!!!! ( unfortunately, they were all too small). But shopping with her was wonderful.

She got us right back to the port on time, and we thanked her, giving her her $100 fare, plus a $50 tip !!! She was worth it.

We stopped at the liquor stand and bought our Rumona before getting on the ship. The farewell send off from the residents was moving. They walked all the way down to end of the pier waving, and cheering. The construction workers on the roofs were waving, and even holding up signs with what seemed to be phone #'s !!! :D

At sail away, my daughter (11) started to cry because she didn't want to leave.

The people of Jamaica really truly want to make you happy. We have also been to Negril in the past, and had just wonderful experiences.

Yes, there are some undesirables everywhere you go. If I go downtown in my small city, I will come across drugs, and prostitutes, but I don't feel endangered. I never felt unsafe in Jamaica.

Jamaica is a beautiful country. Yes we saw some sad areas, and a lot of unfinished houses, but if you take a minute to learn something, then you will learn that most houses in Jamaica are unfinished. They start to build, finish one area, and live in that part, until they can afford to finish another part. So, while the outside may seem rundown to our eyes, the owner of the house actually had a nice living area inside.

I would not hesitate to go to Jamaica again, and take my daughter there. It was one of our best days on the cruise.

Thanks

:p

I will say that that night, it was super windy, and while montion has never been a problem for us at sea, we did feel a whole lot of rocking and banging around in our Afts.

I am thinking of cruising on the FOS next Spring and would like to book a suite but am prone to motion sickness. Was it just the one night that you felt a lot of rocking or was it the whole cruise? And do you know if it was worse in your cabin than on the rest of the ship. I know foreward and aft tend to feel more motion than mid-ship. Just trying to figure out if I might be ok in one of those suites or if I need to stick to a cabin mid-ship. I would be fine for one night of rocking but not a whole cruise. Thanks - and great review and pics!

Hi,

I would also like to add a few comments on Falmouth.

I have never stopped at a port before in the past and received a welcome like we did in Falmouth. They actually cared that we were there. No the port is not finished, but the areas we did walk through were very nicely done. Yes, there are fences everywhere giving it a bit of a compound feel, but I think that is due to all the construction still going on, to keep the passengers SAFE from wandering into a construction zone, and NOT to keep us locked in a sterile environment.

We shopped at some of the vendors booths,then made our way to the taxi/bus area. We were a group of 5 and wanted to go to Montego Bay.

We had absolutely no hesitation about leaving the Falmouth area on our own. We ended up in a JUTA van and our driver Patrice was an absolute JOY !!!!! We tentatively set a price at $20 per person, round trip. THen she said, "I will give you the best tour I can give you, and you pay me what you think it was worth". OK !!!!! Patrice looked after us all day. She took us to Doctor's Cave Beach, and checked up on us while we were there. We said we wanted to walk down the Hip Strip and go to Margaritaville. NO PROBLEM !!!! She will check in with us at 4pm when we need to leave. And she did. During our walk down the Hip Strip, every taxi driver there asked us if we needed a ride, but with a smile. We politely said no, we were taken care of, and they wished us a great day. The merchants along the Hip Strip were very reluctant to haggle, but you could get the odd discount. So Patrice took us to another shopping area along the way back to the ship. I told her I was looking for a bikini in Jamaican colors, and she did everything in her power to help me find one!!!! ( unfortunately, they were all too small). But shopping with her was wonderful.

She got us right back to the port on time, and we thanked her, giving her her $100 fare, plus a $50 tip !!! She was worth it.

We stopped at the liquor stand and bought our Rumona before getting on the ship. The farewell send off from the residents was moving. They walked all the way down to end of the pier waving, and cheering. The construction workers on the roofs were waving, and even holding up signs with what seemed to be phone #'s !!! :D

At sail away, my daughter (11) started to cry because she didn't want to leave.

The people of Jamaica really truly want to make you happy. We have also been to Negril in the past, and had just wonderful experiences.

Yes, there are some undesirables everywhere you go. If I go downtown in my small city, I will come across drugs, and prostitutes, but I don't feel endangered. I never felt unsafe in Jamaica.

Jamaica is a beautiful country. Yes we saw some sad areas, and a lot of unfinished houses, but if you take a minute to learn something, then you will learn that most houses in Jamaica are unfinished. They start to build, finish one area, and live in that part, until they can afford to finish another part. So, while the outside may seem rundown to our eyes, the owner of the house actually had a nice living area inside.

I would not hesitate to go to Jamaica again, and take my daughter there. It was one of our best days on the cruise.

Thanks

:p

We are sailing on the FOS starting on Sunday, with a Falmouth stop. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate these posts!!!!!

We were on Freedom the first week of February. There were four of us traveling together - two couples. All four of us thoroughly enjoyed every meal served in the main dining room. Our service was beyond excellent. Our waiter was so nice, and he made extra effort to make sure that we were all happy with our dining experience.

I find it strange that the quality of the dining room has suddenly gone down so drastically. Maybe they got a new chef during their dry dock?

Now I would not say that any of us were foodies - so maybe that is the difference here? We expected a nice meal - sort of on the level of an Outback Steakhouse or maybe even Season's 52, and we were satisfied. If you go expecting gourmet food, then of course you will be disappointed with a kitchen serving 4000 people a night.

I never mentioned DR food, if you re-read you will see I ate meals in the WJ. I have no idea what was going on in the DR, we never stepped foot in there.:)

I am thinking of cruising on the FOS next Spring and would like to book a suite but am prone to motion sickness. Was it just the one night that you felt a lot of rocking or was it the whole cruise? And do you know if it was worse in your cabin than on the rest of the ship. I know foreward and aft tend to feel more motion than mid-ship. Just trying to figure out if I might be ok in one of those suites or if I need to stick to a cabin mid-ship. I would be fine for one night of rocking but not a whole cruise. Thanks - and great review and pics!

208601_10150169028393113_682718112_6777653_3481567_n.jpg

This is Kanesha, she works in the WJ and is my son's new BFF. She has worked on ships for years, and she told me that Monday night was some of the worst movement she had ever felt. But it was only that one night, it wasn't an issue the rest of the week.

If you are going on Freedom any time soon, say hi to Kanesha, she's awesome!!!

Am I right in thinking that you bargain at the markets in both Haiti and Jamaica.

Yes. For instance, at the pier in Falmouth I bought a dress, she asked for $20, I got it for $15. It was all very friendly.

In Labadee, I was offerend something for say $10, I would say no thank you, they would come down to $8, or something like that.

But yes, respectful bargaining is fine.:)

Am I right in thinking that you bargain at the markets in both Haiti and Jamaica.

My FIL went to the market to buy some bracelets. The pricing started at $5 each. He ended up getting 4 for $5 !!!

I walked past the market area to go the washrooms and was constantly waved at to 'come in and see, see what I have for you'. I finally just had to say, " I have no cash!' That worked !!!! :p

We were on Freedom the first week of February. There were four of us traveling together - two couples. All four of us thoroughly enjoyed every meal served in the main dining room. Our service was beyond excellent. Our waiter was so nice, and he made extra effort to make sure that we were all happy with our dining experience.

I find it strange that the quality of the dining room has suddenly gone down so drastically. Maybe they got a new chef during their dry dock?

Now I would not say that any of us were foodies - so maybe that is the difference here? We expected a nice meal - sort of on the level of an Outback Steakhouse or maybe even Season's 52, and we were satisfied. If you go expecting gourmet food, then of course you will be disappointed with a kitchen serving 4000 people a night.

We have had the same type of great experience in the MDR you spoke of on other RCI ships. That's why it's so disappointing when you don't. When you have had that level of service and good food, you come to expect it again and it is a potential let down for your entire dining experience.

We have never gone to the MDR and expected a gourmet meal. Although we do feel the food quality has gone down over the years, we have still been able to enjoy the meals.

On this cruise the beef entrees were tough, dry and either over or undercooked. The fish entrees had a "fishy" smell and taste and the pastas were usually dry with no sauce. That was our experience. I'm sure there were others that would have a differing opinion. The wait staff were just average, where you said yours were beyond excellent. We know there were better wait staff in the MDR, we could see them.

We would have loved a meal equal to Outback Steakhouse or Red Lobster. On this particular cruise, the entrees were poor.

We realize the kitchen prepares about 4000 meals per night, but that is what they are set up to do. It's their job. They need to be able to do it and do it well, consistently. We have come to expect that from RCI.

How was the entertainment on the ship? Did you see any of the shows or the ice show

Hi, we didn't see too many of the shows, but my In-laws and daughter saw the Once upon a Time show and enjoyed it. The ice shows did not appeal to us. We saw one headliner . . . Delisco . . . some talent reality show winner. If I was in a more convenient seat to leave during the show, I would have. Thank goodness it was only 45 minutes long!!!!! The comedy act of the Cruise Director Graham Seymour was HILARIOUS !!!! He has a real future in comedy! It was advertised as adults only, so try to make it if you can!!!!

Thanks for add N me, the pics are great and your boys are just 2 cute, great trip report! I feel you on the food RCCL has got to do better!

As for the food, this is the first vacation I have ever come home from eager to cook my own meals. My food is sooooo much better than that stuff on the ship. :eek:

The first night we were back I made some slammin' Chicken and Mushrooms and my husband actually Facebooked how happy he was to have me at home doing the cooking.:p

As for the food, this is the first vacation I have ever come home from eager to cook my own meals. My food is sooooo much better than that stuff on the ship. :eek:

The first night we were back I made some slammin' Chicken and Mushrooms and my husband actually Facebooked how happy he was to have me at home doing the cooking.:p

Girl I know the feeling! Next time I go back on the FOS I am bringing my creole seasoning with me,and may ask to speak to the chef cause I could teach him a few things.

Great review.

Do you have to pay for the cupcakes? If so, how much?

How is the sound at the outdoor movies - is it pretty loud or do you need to sit close to a speaker?

Is there special seating or do you just sit in the pool lounges?

Do they have the outdoor movies every night?

Great review.

Do you have to pay for the cupcakes? If so, how much?

How is the sound at the outdoor movies - is it pretty loud or do you need to sit close to a speaker?

Is there special seating or do you just sit in the pool lounges?

Do they have the outdoor movies every night?

Yes, the cupcakes are $2.50 each, if you buy 7, the 8th is free.

The movie is loud, we could hear it from the other pool, quite clearly too.

They had special seating near the screen at night.

Not sure about every night, one night they showed the final college basketball game instead of a movie.

:)

Thanks for your review and the Facebook add. We leave 1 month for today and are all looking forward to it. Sad to hear about the food but I'm with the majority that it has gone downhill over the years but I'm not picky just need it to keep me going. Thanks again looks like you and your family had a great time.

I have to agree with you about the Windjammer food it left much to be desired but you missed out on a great experience and service in the MDR. We actually enjoyed our meals there (we were on the same cruise as you). Our waiter (Sherlin) and assistant waiter (Hong Yu) took care of all of our needs. The bread each night was to die for. My favorite was the Lobster Tail and Prime Rib night as I asked for both. I do think that on my next cruise I will try one of the specialty restaurants one night.

As for the entertainment, we missed the Masquerade show but saw all the others. They had Merill Osmond (one of the original Osmond brothers) he was okay but of course went down memory lane. There were two different comedians the first guy was pretty funny with his impressions of John Wayne and Jack Nicholson but the guy on the last night did not do much for me.

Now as for our CD Graham Seymour was so funny and talented. I too loved his late night comedy show and on the last night he sang a serious song and was great. And how about Captain Rob! Finally an American who spoke clear English and a funny sense of humor.

OP, we missed you at the meet n mingle, we had fun with the cabin crawl seeing a Hump Balcony, Aft Balcony, Promenade View, Junior Suite and the Owners Suite! :)

Archived