Frustrated with TA

acireta

My FI and I booked our March 2012 cruise on the Liberty, using Island Bliss Weddings for the ceremony and reception. We found a local TA with a few good reviews and booked through her even though her rates weren't that much better than booking through Carnival. I THOUGHT it would be easier to have a TA deal with the very small group we have traveling with us (10 people booked so far including us). I should have just done it myself.

Ever since then its been nothing but problems.

She charged us a $100 "wedding planning fee" even though she's not doing anything for the wedding except booking cruises. I've never heard of another TA doing this. Should this have been a red flag? :confused:

She acts like everything I ask of her is her doing us a HUGE favor. She's been rude through emails and she has to ask Carnival for every question I ask her.

She has tried to upsell our guests to better rooms though I specifically asked her not to pressure them, as many of them are on tight budgets.

Today, she told me that people who book on their own or through Carnival can't be added to our group. FI's mom booked through Carnival and now she "can't" add her to our group! I just want to make sure she sits with us at dinner!! I told her I'd pay any applicable price changes between Early Saver and whatever her price is. Is this really true?

What should I do? Is it true that you can't add people to your group that book through Carnival? I have a TA that comes highly recommended from another forum and she said she can easily take over the booking and handle switching the reservations into a single group.

Apparently, I can't control my own booking group through Carnival, according to a call to them. SHE has to call and release the group from her control before I can make changes to my OWN wedding cruise!! :mad:

Sorry for the long post, I'm at the end of my rope here. Thanks for any advice you guys have :(

You can have them linked with you for dinner so you can sit together. I am using a ta that we have used for all of our cruises and this will be the last time. It seems like they are getting greedy. I have went through alot of bull but she didn't start until final payment was almost due. If I was you and this far out and able to switch ta's I would definitely switch. We have 65 people and you would think bringing them business they would be accomodating. I think you will be happier in the long run if you won't be stressed with a ta.

You can have them linked with you for dinner so you can sit together. I am using a ta that we have used for all of our cruises and this will be the last time. It seems like they are getting greedy. I have went through alot of bull but she didn't start until final payment was almost due. If I was you and this far out and able to switch ta's I would definitely switch. We have 65 people and you would think bringing them business they would be accomodating. I think you will be happier in the long run if you won't be stressed with a ta.

Thanks for your reply! I'm so frustrated and I need to just deal with what might be a confrontation and change TAs. The new TA said she just needs my intention to change agents in writing and she'll take care of the rest.

I wonder why she's telling me people can't be added to our group when I see it on here all the time? Because she wouldn't get a commission?

my wedding was on RCI but I would have to imagine that most cruise lines work the same as far as bookings. I had 7 cabins and we used 4 TAs and we were able to all be linked as one group.

There is no way you should have to pay her a wedding fee either. I would defiantly change TAs and while I was at it I would email/call her office and talk to a manager. I am not one for confrontations but when someone takes advantage of you and your family/friends, its hard to sit back and do nothing.

That TA is charging you a wedding fee all on her own. I used a local TA for my wedding group and wasn't subject to any wedding fee. She told me right up front all the wedding planning is directly though Carnivals Wedding department but she would do all the cabin bookings for me. We had 5 cabins booked through her.

My Matron of Honor wasn't sure if she could go prior to our deadline. When she found out her schedule allowed her to cruise with us, she booked a room outside our group booked through Orbit. My TA was able to link her with my group without a problem. All the TA needed was her booking number. However, because she waited so long to book, there weren't any more spots for early dinning for her to join our group. So, I called my TA and she had them put a note on my MOH booking to put her on a wait list to join early dinning with us. Then, when we boarded the ship, my MOH went down to the dinning room to request to be added to our table in early dinning. Turns out, they already had her dinning with us because of my TA's call to Carnival. So, don't worry. Even if you don't get confirmation your FI's mom can sit with you at dinner. Just have her go to the dinning room and talk to the maitre d' as soon as possible once you get aboard.

Get rid of that TA if you can and switch to another TA. Just curious, did your current TA tell you about your group amenities? I had heard some TA's don't tell their clients about it so they can use the amenities themselves.

my wedding was on RCI but I would have to imagine that most cruise lines work the same as far as bookings. I had 7 cabins and we used 4 TAs and we were able to all be linked as one group.

There is no way you should have to pay her a wedding fee either. I would defiantly change TAs and while I was at it I would email/call her office and talk to a manager. I am not one for confrontations but when someone takes advantage of you and your family/friends, its hard to sit back and do nothing.

I already contacted the new TA and she replied pleasantly within an hour (at 11 PM by the way). She's going to call me today and tell me the process for changing my booking to her through Carnival. Whether I need to or not, I'm definitely calling the current TA's manager today. I do feel taken advantage of, and I'm very disappointed in her attitude.

That TA is charging you a wedding fee all on her own. I used a local TA for my wedding group and wasn't subject to any wedding fee. She told me right up front all the wedding planning is directly though Carnivals Wedding department but she would do all the cabin bookings for me. We had 5 cabins booked through her.

My Matron of Honor wasn't sure if she could go prior to our deadline. When she found out her schedule allowed her to cruise with us, she booked a room outside our group booked through Orbit. My TA was able to link her with my group without a problem. All the TA needed was her booking number. However, because she waited so long to book, there weren't any more spots for early dinning for her to join our group. So, I called my TA and she had them put a note on my MOH booking to put her on a wait list to join early dinning with us. Then, when we boarded the ship, my MOH went down to the dinning room to request to be added to our table in early dinning. Turns out, they already had her dinning with us because of my TA's call to Carnival. So, don't worry. Even if you don't get confirmation your FI's mom can sit with you at dinner. Just have her go to the dinning room and talk to the maitre d' as soon as possible once you get aboard.

Get rid of that TA if you can and switch to another TA. Just curious, did your current TA tell you about your group amenities? I had heard some TA's don't tell their clients about it so they can use the amenities themselves.

Thank you for your insight, you are a perfect example of what I've heard all the time- that it's completely possible, as long as you have the booking number!

She didn't tell me about amenities, I knew about them on my own, and when I asked she was very reluctant to tell me. We probably won't have a large enough group to get any major bonuses, but I need an honest advocate who will apply them fairly if necessary.

Thanks, ladies!

I'm glad to hear you are changing TA's. I wouldn't want to bear that frustration- especially since you're paying for it. In the future I may skip TA's altogether. Ours normally gets us terrific cabin and dining table locations- that is a plus. But I have had to do everything else myself.

My TA told me that if we booked a certain number of cabins, her company would purchase wine for my guests out of the company's own pocket, but I hadn't heard about amenities? Is this something additional? Can anyone fill me in on this?

acireta,

So glad you are switching. You shouldn't have to worry if your TA is ripping you off.

I'm glad to hear you are changing TA's. I wouldn't want to bear that frustration- especially since you're paying for it. In the future I may skip TA's altogether. Ours normally gets us terrific cabin and dining table locations- that is a plus. But I have had to do everything else myself.

My TA told me that if we booked a certain number of cabins, her company would purchase wine for my guests out of the company's own pocket, but I hadn't heard about amenities? Is this something additional? Can anyone fill me in on this?

Stacy,

Amenities are perks your group receives for booking together in a group. They are given to you as "points". The amount of points you receive are based on how long your cruise is and how many cabins you have booked. The amenities are something Carnival gives you, not the TA. If they tell you otherwise, they are not being completely honest. I can scan and email you the amenities list, I think I still have it somewhere. My group had 5 cabins booked (which is the minimum to get them) and we cruised on a 7 day cruise. It enabled us to get 4 points. Carnival then has a list of gifts (your TA should show you) and how many points you will need so you can give gifts to your guests. You, the group coordinator chooses how you want to spend the points. The list of gifts had things like free ship photo, bottle of wine, ship board credits (money to spend on board), robes, travel bags...etc. The list will tell you how many points you need to give each gift. I choose to use my points to give each cabin $50 ship credits and a bottle of wine and chocolates.

Ok, now I'm confused. I did use a TA and she told me that she can "try" to have the people that didn't book through her seated with us at dinner. I did provide their booking #'s to her.

She told me the min group # was 8, not 5. I have 6 cabins through her and 2 through Carnival direct.

We did use her for a group booking last year (1st cruise) and everyone in the group was given a $50 OBC. This year she said we would each still get the $50 OBC and a bottle of wine, and a "bag". I wondered how we were able to get any perks because we didn't have 8 cabins booked through her??

Can you please post the list of amenities? Since this is my wedding cruise, I would really love to do the cocktail hour, if that choice is available, instead of the wine because we are not wine drinkers.

acireta,

So glad you are switching. You shouldn't have to worry if your TA is ripping you off.

Stacy,

Amenities are perks your group receives for booking together in a group. They are given to you as "points". The amount of points you receive are based on how long your cruise is and how many cabins you have booked. The amenities are something Carnival gives you, not the TA. If they tell you otherwise, they are not being completely honest. I can scan and email you the amenities list, I think I still have it somewhere. My group had 5 cabins booked (which is the minimum to get them) and we cruised on a 7 day cruise. It enabled us to get 4 points. Carnival then has a list of gifts (your TA should show you) and how many points you will need so you can give gifts to your guests. You, the group coordinator chooses how you want to spend the points. The list of gifts had things like free ship photo, bottle of wine, ship board credits (money to spend on board), robes, travel bags...etc. The list will tell you how many points you need to give each gift. I choose to use my points to give each cabin $50 ship credits and a bottle of wine and chocolates.

can you please send this to me? acireta@gmail.com I'd really, really appreciate it. I'm not very trusting of any TA at this point for stuff like this. We already have five cabins booked for a 7 day cruise. I thought we needed many more to get amenity points.

I feel so scammed, so I really appreciate the information from the brides here!! :o

acireta,

Stacy,

Thank you again "oh voice of wisdom" :-) You have all of the answers I need :-) We are getting the wine and chocolates and a photo I just didn't understand that Carnival was doing that for us and not the TA. Thank you for clearing that up.

can you please send this to me? acireta@gmail.com I'd really, really appreciate it. I'm not very trusting of any TA at this point for stuff like this. We already have five cabins booked for a 7 day cruise. I thought we needed many more to get amenity points.

I feel so scammed, so I really appreciate the information from the brides here!! :o

No problem, I am glad to help. I was in your position with all the planning just months ago so I know what your going through. I learned a lot in all my research during my wedding planning process. Much of it on Cruise Critic. Now that my wedding is over I am paying the favor forward by helping others with the knowledge I gained. :D

I'll try to send it soon. I'll let you know on here when I do. I was also told by my TA I needed 8 cabins, then I learned through TA's who posted in this forum that wasn't true and the number was 5. I think the TA's tell you 8 to push you into getting more people to join your group. Carnival requires a minimum of 5 cabins.

Ok, now I'm confused. I did use a TA and she told me that she can "try" to have the people that didn't book through her seated with us at dinner. I did provide their booking #'s to her.

She told me the min group # was 8, not 5. I have 6 cabins through her and 2 through Carnival direct.

We did use her for a group booking last year (1st cruise) and everyone in the group was given a $50 OBC. This year she said we would each still get the $50 OBC and a bottle of wine, and a "bag". I wondered how we were able to get any perks because we didn't have 8 cabins booked through her??

Can you please post the list of amenities? Since this is my wedding cruise, I would really love to do the cocktail hour, if that choice is available, instead of the wine because we are not wine drinkers.

I can email you the list, just post your email and I will send it to you along with the other ladies who want it. The cocktail thing was an option, but I don't remember how many points you use to do it. It's on the list. Your TA should have shown you the amenities list for you to choose what to give. It sounds like she is making the choice for you. You will get 4 points with your group booking like I did.

I will tell you though, if I were to choose again what to give my guests it would be giving them the maximum on board money credits ($75 per cabin) instead of the champaign and chocolates. This is because not many drank the champaign and the chocolates were the same as what they give you each night on the bed when they turn it down. If you give them money they can spend it anyway they want while aboard.

Thank you again "oh voice of wisdom" :-) You have all of the answers I need :-) We are getting the wine and chocolates and a photo I just didn't understand that Carnival was doing that for us and not the TA. Thank you for clearing that up.

Teeheehe, your so funny. :D

And I'm always glad to help! I'll send you my bill later. ;)

I can email you the list, just post your email and I will send it to you along with the other ladies who want it. The cocktail thing was an option, but I don't remember how many points you use to do it. It's on the list. Your TA should have shown you the amenities list for you to choose what to give. It sounds like she is making the choice for you. You will get 4 points with your group booking like I did.

I will tell you though, if I were to choose again what to give my guests it would be giving them the maximum on board money credits ($75 per cabin) instead of the champaign and chocolates. This is because not many drank the champaign and the chocolates were the same as what they give you each night on the bed when they turn it down. If you give them money they can spend it anyway they want while aboard.

Thank you! My email it twomack1021@yahoo yes, if the cocktail hour isn't an option I will do more of an OBC. Most people used it towards their DOD's and gratuities last year. I want to go to my TA informed about my options so if she tries to tell me no, I can tell her otherwise.

Since Carnival now requires a $200/pp deposit at the time of booking, even when using a TA, what is the incentive to use them going forward? I know we only used her on our 2 cruises so we could get more people to book in our "group" with the deposit of only $50/cabin (so we thought)...

Because these amenities can change from time to time, I would rely on Carnival group dept for an accurate up to date listing? Or ask your TAs for a list if you are going through them.. If they refuse to give them to you, it's time to talk to a manager

When did Carnival's Group Department change from EIGHT double-occupancy cabins to FIVE to qualify for a group booking? I worked as a TA from 1999-2005, and it was always eight double-occupancy cabins. I always provided the clients with Carnival's amenity list (You could choose from Column A or Column B kind of thing), and they would let me know the amenities they wanted, which I then forwarded to Carnival. The amenities grew as the number of group cabins grew. I booked quite a few wedding/honeymoon cruises (and other large groups) through Carnival's Group Department. Group bookings have two deposits....the first one is usually pretty small (enticement), and the second one adds up to the total deposit amount required for an Individual cruise. The final payment is usually due before Individual bookings final payments. It can get pretty confusing when you book through the Group Department, and they require a "contact" person - usually the TA. Booking through the Group Department requires a lot of faxes, e-mails, and frequent updates. I had to get my own fax machine at home when our local branch closed in 2003.(out of pocket) This was years ago, and that's the way things were then. It was A LOT of work to make sure group bookings went smoothly and the clients received their amenities. And, yes - I could link Individual bookings to the existing Group booking.

I did a good job on many group cruise and land bookings.....and I'll NEVER do it again!! :)

Talked to the new TA today, and she is already so much better! Professional, pleasant and realistic. She's helping me figure out how to cancel/rebook or transfer our current bookings. It'll take a few emails to get it all worked out, but I think we'll be okay.

This is just a lesson to me to follow my gut. I had a bad feeling about the original TA from the beginning and I should have followed my instinct. Lesson learned! Thanks all for the advice.

So in order to transfer a booking to a new agent, the agency being "fired" has to submit a letter to Carnival to let them know about the new agency! This is the most ass-backwards industry. I really hate confrontation and now I have to call the previous agents manager to get him/her to send this damn fax to carnival.

I will never use a travel agent ever again.

Archived