Gem-Where to go-Wet Sailaway

bdklein

Hello,

Looking for some ideas on where to go on the Gem to take in the views of NYC/NJ, but stay dry. We do not have balcony cabins, have kids (11 and 8), and want to avoid crowded indoor areas (and any cig smoking). Thanks in advance for any and all asistance.

In the event that we DO have a wet sailaway (I am holding out hope that we do NOT!), there are a few covered outdoor areas. We would have the same dilemma as you since we booked an inside cabin for this cruise, and my daughters are anxious to see the Statue of Liberty, etc.

I know on the jogging track around Cagney's on Deck 13 you could definitely take shelter and see the NYC/NJ view. Also both sides of the pool deck are covered (either side of Top Siders). I think that Spinnaker would be crowded if indeed it is raining....

Here's to good friends!! LOL :rolleyes:

We've done both of our trips on the GEM with little kids from the Spinnaker Lounge. It's a great place and they usually have a band playing in there as well. To see the Manhattan skyline stay on left side of the boat as it goes down the Hudson. To see the Statue of Liberty it will be on your right side. You will probably be able to move from side to side without a problem.

I second the Spinnaker Lounge, if the weather is not good. We sailed out in January when it was 20 degrees and blowing hard so outside was not an option, at least not with kids and for more than a few minutes. What was great was being so close to the upper decks. We ran up for the passing under the V. bridge, which was very cool (literally and figuratively) and then back to the comfort of the Spinnaker, complete with a live band.

Archived