Just Back from Serenade of Seas - First Cruise!

Hi!

We sailed on the Serenade of Seas from March 27 to April 3, our first cruise ever!!! It was AWESOME! The ship was beautiful, the service was excellent, the food was great. It was a wonderful experience!!

I read the Cruise Critic boards and got a lot of information and help in preparing for my trip. I would be happy to answer any questions as a way of helping other first time cruisers!

Here are some random thoughts about packing and other things....

Packing list -

Things that I took cause I read on boards but did not need:

alarm clock - each room has a phone with the time, and you can set your own wakeup call.

Over the door shoe organizer - bought one but didn't open so at least I can return - there is plenty of storage

Extension cord and strip of extra outlets - there is a plug in the bathroom, but it is on the ceiling - my blow dryer would not fit there, meant for shavers only. There are 2 single outlets by the desk. We had a digital camera batter charger plugged in there and I had a travel steamer along and my blow dryer, but those didn't need to be plugged in all of the time so I found out there was plenty of outlets. Personal choice though, I guess

Other Hints:

If you want to go on excursions, try and book them before you leave! They really book up fast - we had all of ours prebooked months before but another couple tried to book on board and lots were full already.

Read your Cruise Compass, a newsletter you get every evening that tells what is in store for the next day. Bring a highlight to maker what interests you, it is jam-packed with info.

Booze - we brought 4 bottle in our suitcases and it got through. Bought Coke and Tonic at the first island and they let it go through. But we did see them take away other bottles of booze from people that was purchase on other islands. You can buy booze from the ship for CHEAP to take home - is you want to drink it in your cabin, they charge $9.50 per bottle, but that still brings it to about the same price as you would pay at home, and then you would not have to lug it around. We brought in case they didn't have our brand, but they did - oh well...

If you want to do any exercise classes or spa services, try and book right away. Go to the spa/health club and sign up. Especially if you want to do something on a sea day - they get full soon. We booked a few things the first day for our last day, which was at sea, and were glad we did.

Shopping Talk - they will tell you what is in store for shopping at each port. You can go to the theater for the live version, but they replay it over and over again on the RC TV station in your room, so won't arrange my schedule about the shopping seminar. Each day there is a new seminar about a different island.

Dry Cleaners - used it to press my long evening dress that got mangled in transit - it was satin and beaded and only cost me $4 to have it pressed, $8 if I would have wanted it drycleaned also. FYI.

Well, that's all I can think of right now. I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Happy Cruising!

Ruth

• 6 years later...
I really appreciated your tips! We look forward to our first cruise next week. Do you advise bringing light-weight jackets for the cool night on deck and inside the ship?

First Time Cruiser

should go in warmer weather

Archived