Gem Review Bahamas 4/9/11

Thanks for your very complete review. We have sailed the Gem twice in suites and loved both cruises, it's true than no line does the suite life like NCL! We also hope to sail her again soon.

Thanks for a great review! We are sailing on the Gem in June, 2012. I was looking into the forward Penthouse suites but was concerned that it might be too windy on the balcony. What was your experience?

I do have the dailies, unfortunately scanner is "dead". Anything specific you want to know, I'll look them up for you:o

Thank you, this is very kind.

Is anything planned in the Spinaker Lounge for Sunday between 1-4?

Is there karaoke daily? Where/what time?

Pub crawls? Prices?

We are booked in November in the suite right next door to your (9000). Your review really has me looking forward to this cruise. Did I understand from your review that there are no DVDs but that PPV movies are complimentary?

Here's a link to my rather long review of our wonderful week on the Gem.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=81776.

:)

Hi whenisthemidnightbuffet? :D

Thanks so much for your thorough review... we board the Gem in July and are more excited than ever after reading your review... thanks again!

JJ ;)

Thanks for a great review! We are sailing on the Gem in June, 2012. I was looking into the forward Penthouse suites but was concerned that it might be too windy on the balcony. What was your experience?

We enjoyed very good weather on our sailing, and it was April, and the wind was never an issue. As a matter of fact, on sea days while sunbathing on the balcony, the sea breeze was most welcomed. Also, the butler kept the outer door (the big heavy metal door as there are 2 doors in this cabin) permanently opened for the whole cruise, and I truly loved to hear the wind whistling through the cracks around the wooden door while I slept at night, it was very soothing.

Thank you, this is very kind.

Is anything planned in the Spinaker Lounge for Sunday between 1-4?

Is there karaoke daily? Where/what time?

Pub crawls? Prices?

No problem, I have taken alot from these boards, feel it only fair I give back.

Sunday, Spinnaker Lounge: 11AM there is Bingo and the next event held there is at 3:00 - Name That Tune with Cruise Staff. 3:45 Cha Cha Dance Lessons. 4:30 Bingo again

Karaoke: Bliss Lounge, Saturday - 8 - 10:15

Sunday- 9 - 11:15

Monday - can't find daily

Tuesday - 8:30 - 11:15

Wed. - 8:30 - 10:15

Thurs. - 8:30 - 10:30

Friday - 8:30 - 10:30

Pub Crawl: Sunday: 8:30, $25 Per Person

Thursday: 8:30

Didn't get a chance to do Pub Crawls this trip (actually I thought there was only one on Thursday, didn't know about Sunday's) but they are so much fun and I do recommend them highly.

We are booked in November in the suite right next door to your (9000). Your review really has me looking forward to this cruise. Did I understand from your review that there are no DVDs but that PPV movies are complimentary?

That is correct. You do have a DVD player and can bring some DVD's from home to view. Speak to your concierge (hopefully it will be Ryan he was great) and he will arrange for you to get the PPV movies at no charge.

No problem, I have taken alot from these boards, feel it only fair I give back.

Sunday, Spinnaker Lounge: 11AM there is Bingo and the next event held there is at 3:00 - Name That Tune with Cruise Staff. 3:45 Cha Cha Dance Lessons. 4:30 Bingo again

Karaoke: Bliss Lounge, Saturday - 8 - 10:15

Sunday- 9 - 11:15

Monday - can't find daily

Tuesday - 8:30 - 11:15

Wed. - 8:30 - 10:15

Thurs. - 8:30 - 10:30

Friday - 8:30 - 10:30

Pub Crawl: Sunday: 8:30, $25 Per Person

Thursday: 8:30

Didn't get a chance to do Pub Crawls this trip (actually I thought there was only one on Thursday, didn't know about Sunday's) but they are so much fun and I do recommend them highly.

Thank you so much! This helps me out a lot. Our roll call didn't plan a formal M&M, we plant to meet in the SL at 2 on Sunday, I'm glad we'll be able to have plenty of space/tables/peace. :D. A few people were are very interested in karaoke as well. Now I have good news for them all.

Phyllis - I totally agree with you about the senior staff and crew of the Gem. Sean, the hotel director and Jennie, the assistant hotel director, couldn't have been nicer to me, and I was in an inside cabin, not a suite. I think this was the most visible group of officers I'd ever seen on a ship.

Phyllis - I totally agree with you about the senior staff and crew of the Gem. Sean, the hotel director and Jennie, the assistant hotel director, couldn't have been nicer to me, and I was in an inside cabin, not a suite. I think this was the most visible group of officers I'd ever seen on a ship.

Hi Laura, nice to hear from you. Agreed the most visible group of officers - which may have a good deal to do with how amazing this cruise was!

Phyllis:o

We enjoyed very good weather on our sailing, and it was April, and the wind was never an issue. As a matter of fact, on sea days while sunbathing on the balcony, the sea breeze was most welcomed. Also, the butler kept the outer door (the big heavy metal door as there are 2 doors in this cabin) permanently opened for the whole cruise, and I truly loved to hear the wind whistling through the cracks around the wooden door while I slept at night, it was very soothing.

Sounds heavenly!!!!

I addressed your concern about the wind in these forward suites in an earlier post, but have noticed on other threads some concern in regard to the motion of the ship being somewhat extreme in this location and wanted to share my experience with you and others who may come across this post. Though I realize the intensity will vary from sailing to sailing based on weather and sea conditions the only time I felt the motion was at night when ship speed picked up and usually I was in bed at these times. This was particulary true on our first night out of New York. However, the way the cabin is set up the bed (and sofabed as well) is horizontal to the verticle direction the ship is moving (i.e., front of the ship facing south, aft facing north and the bed head to toe lies east/west). The motion of the ship created a very relaxing sort of swinging in the breeze, hammock motion, and NOT that nauseating up and down (head to toe or toe to head) roller coaster sensation, so this was never a problem.

Archived