Chefmakers Cooking Academy on Freedom of the Seas

We will be sailing on Freedom August 14 and am interested in the Chefmakers Cooking Academy classes. The class catalog shows many cooking choices. I would like to hear about your experience. What class you took, how much it cost and your thoughts about the class.

We will be sailing on Freedom August 14 and am interested in the Chefmakers Cooking Academy classes. The class catalog shows many cooking choices. I would like to hear about your experience. What class you took, how much it cost and your thoughts about the class.

If you are interested I would try to book as soon as you get on the ship. We were on the FOS in January and the person selling this was in the Windjammer. Some of the classes are inexpensive but many were $99.00. By the time I decided I want to try one, all of the inexpensive ones were gone and all that was left were the $99.00 ones and I did not book one of these. We took a galley tour and the head chef informed us that these classes are sponsored by an outside entity and he did not care for them at all. At least that was the tone of his comments when he was talking about them.

We took the appetizer class and I think it was about $100. There were just two of us in the class and two chefs. We made lamb chops, bacon wrapped plantains, a couple of other appetizers and a puff pastry dessert with two or three different fillings.

There is complimentary wine (or other beverage, I'm sure) to drink while you cook. At one point the executive chef came out and we were able to get a picture with him. We had already purchased the cookbook (25% off coupon) and had him sign it. Both chefs signed our cookbook also.

One part of the class was actually held in a section of the kitchen.

We made a ton of food so we took a lot of it to dinner to share with our table.

We each got an apron and a bottle of wine.

My husband recently did this on the Liberty. We were travelling with friends and both our husbands love to cook so they pre-booked and paid for the surf and turf dinner. It was about $100 pp. They were a bit concerned that no one else had booked and figured it would be cancelled. The Chefmakers people told us that if they booked online before sailing it would go ahead - even for just 2 people! Booked on board - it would be subject to cancellation.

So it ended up just having 3 people - but made enough food for 12! When it was time to eat, the chef made a few phone calls and next thing there were a couple of officers, the activites director, and the hotel manager came to eat with them!

He said it was one of the best things that are offered on the ship if you have a passion for cooking!!!!

I have signed up myself and my husband for the Chocolate class. If you are considering doing it, I would sign up when they come available for your sailing. Luckily you have some time to get more reviews before yours opens up for booking. Our cruise is May 8th - 14th and I'll be sure to add this class experience into my review.

Thanks everyone! Looks to be a pretty positive experience.

Are all classes offered during each sailing or only a subset? Am I right in assuming that they are only offered during sea days?

nicolen1101 Have a great cruise and we are looking forward to hearing about your experience.

We took the appetizer class and I think it was about $100. There were just two of us in the class and two chefs. We made lamb chops, bacon wrapped plantains, a couple of other appetizers and a puff pastry dessert with two or three different fillings.

There is complimentary wine (or other beverage, I'm sure) to drink while you cook. At one point the executive chef came out and we were able to get a picture with him. We had already purchased the cookbook (25% off coupon) and had him sign it. Both chefs signed our cookbook also.

One part of the class was actually held in a section of the kitchen.

We made a ton of food so we took a lot of it to dinner to share with our table.

We each got an apron and a bottle of wine.

How did you buy the cookbook in advance? WHat kind of recipes are in it? Everyone gets the apron and wine right? Is the wine you get the wine you are drinking and you just get left over? Silly question I know. :)

Thanks everyone! Looks to be a pretty positive experience.

Are all classes offered during each sailing or only a subset? Am I right in assuming that they are only offered during sea days?

nicolen1101 Have a great cruise and we are looking forward to hearing about your experience.

On our sailing in June, classes are offered on both Port and Cruising days. I wanted to take the crepes class with my daughter but we will be in ST Martin and I dont want to miss out on time there. So I am going to try the small bites class. I hope its fun, I am doing it for the experience.

I would love to hear more reviews. :)

How did you buy the cookbook in advance? WHat kind of recipes are in it? Everyone gets the apron and wine right? Is the wine you get the wine you are drinking and you just get left over? Silly question I know. :)

The cookbooks were on sale earlier in the week in the promenade. When we purchased the book, the chef was present to sign each book. If you choose to buy, use the 25% off coupon in the C&A coupon book.

I'm not sure if everyone gets the apron and wine or just those that book ahead and pay the full price. I was afraid they would book up so did book and pay in advance.

No, the wine we were drinking was not the wine we took with us. We were each given a full, unopened bottle to take.

We also received copies of each recipe and the chefs gave us their names and email addresses in the event we had any questions.

The cookbook has a few favorites such as the lamb shank, vidalia onion tart, and bailey's banana brulee, among others.

And, there are no silly questions!

I did some classes on the Liberty in March. I did the chicken class and the shrimp ones. The chefs were awesome and it was so much fun. I would do these againif they are offered on any cruise I do.

I did some classes on the Liberty in March. I did the chicken class and the shrimp ones. The chefs were awesome and it was so much fun. I would do these againif they are offered on any cruise I do.

Did you sign up for those classes once on board or before? Did they fill up?

I signed up on line and was glad I did. The classes sold out very fast. If you don't do it on line then do it as soon as you board. The chicken class was the best! We learned how to cut a whole chicken, each having our own chicken, and how to cook the different parts. We made 4 different dishes, and they were all so delicious. I still use my apron at home and will sometimes put my chef hat on to give my husband a good laugh!!

• 1 month later...
I signed up on line and was glad I did. The classes sold out very fast. If you don't do it on line then do it as soon as you board. The chicken class was the best! We learned how to cut a whole chicken, each having our own chicken, and how to cook the different parts. We made 4 different dishes, and they were all so delicious. I still use my apron at home and will sometimes put my chef hat on to give my husband a good laugh!!

Cruising on the FOS in July, and wondering if there are any perks in the coupon book that would make waiting to get onboard before signing up worthwhile? I've read great reviews on the classes and think it would be a great experience!

Archived