Baltics cruise

Which month do you think is best to take a Baltics cruise? I've noticed they only cruise in May, June, July and Aug. If you have done a baltics cruise, what was the weather like when you went and what would you recommend. Thanks for your help!

We did the Baltic cruise last year...not exactly sure of the date but we were on the ship for my birthday 8/25...The only time the weather was bad was in Copenhagen...not so bad but it was very windy and we were freezing in windbreakers with our hood up!!!.

the rest of the time is was perfect weather for sightseeing..I would say the average was about 65 to 70 degrees.The Baltic itinerary was amazing...things you have only read about..now you get to see for yourself.It was one of our best cruises...I would do it again in a heartbeat

I´ve done a baltic cruise late May / early June last year and will do it again this year the same time.

Weather was great last year it was always sunny. No rain the whole time. However it was not too hot. Great for sightseeing. During the summer month July / August it can get hot. Not necessary but there is a higher chance.

I really appreciate everyone's reply.

Madforcruising, I checked out the pictures that you had linked to you cruises and they are great!

Has anyone else got advice on which month would be best? Also, what was your favorite excursion and port.

We did the 14-day Celebrity Constellation cruise on July 30 last year. The weather was amazing. There was no rain the entire cruise, except a little drizzle on one of the sea days, and the temperatures were in the 75-85 range. The locals thanked us for bringing them the best weather of the year. Some of the cruise lines also have the Baltics trips in September and October. I know RCCL does, and I think Celebrity and Princess might, also.

As for excursions and ports, we really enjoyed Oslo, Norway. We went on the tour which included the Vigeland sculptures which were fascinating and the Viking Ship museum and the Folk Museum. We really enjoyed Copenhagen, too. We had two days there, and we had two days in Saint Petersburg, which was amazing. The Hermitage Museum is a must. We also took a very nice river boat trip which included caviar, vodka, and folkloric singers and dancers and ended with a concert in a Russian church. Estonia was very interesting, with some of the best shopping prices. We just went in on our own and loved it. We also just did Stockholm and Helsinki on our own. Our ship docked at Warnermunde in Germany, and we passed on the all-day train ride to Berlin. We took the Rostock tour which included samplings at a brewery, and a very nice lunch at a German restaurant. Rostock is in the former East Germany, and the tour guide was a native and had a lot of very interesting things to say about the East/West issues. This tour included the city of Rostock, and then finished at Warnermunde, which has a very nice restaurant and harbor area within walking distance of the ship.

We stayed an extra day in London before and after. We spent the first day mostly sleeping off jet lag, and the second day we went into London's theater district and saw "Jerry Springer, The Opera", which isn't for the meek. It was hilarious, but there were no holds barred as far as language and sacrilegiousness were concerned. We loved it, but maybe we're weird. :cool: For contrast, we then saw "Anything Goes" which was based on the Cole Porter musical of the 1930s. The theater district is near Leicester Square, which is very easily-accessed by tube from Victoria Station. Our hotel was the Gatwick Thistle near the airport, but there are constant trains from the airport to Victoria Station and the hotel provided a shuttle to and from the airport.

You will love the trip, regardless of what is the most convenient time for you to go. The latitude is about the same as Anchorage, Alaska, so it can be pretty cool with more wind and rain in May and October. I lived in Alaska for four years, and July and August seemed like the optimum months for that area, too.

Allen

Webecruise'n, thanks for all the good info! That was most helpful. We have been to Oslo, Copenhagen and England on a previous cruise (best of Europe) and I agree about Oslo...we loved it! Vigeland sculpture park was amazing and I would love to just go back there and spend more time. All of the other ports will be new to us.

You mentioned shopping in Estonia. What is good to buy there?

Thanks again for the info!

You mentioned shopping in Estonia. What is good to buy there?

My wife was able to find some very stylish clothes there at extremely reasonable prices. It seems that they had a lot of very nice linen clothing. They also have good prices on jewelry, and their "specialty" is amber. They also have very good prices on wool and sweaters and china. Mostly, I just sat and watched her try on clothes, so I don't know what else was a bargain. :)

We had read in advance that the Estonian prices were as much as 50 percent less than the other Scandinavian cities.

Allen

Archived