use Disney gift cards on ships?

i<3TX

My local grocery store sells Disney gift cards in $25 incriments. They show that they're available to use in the parks & the cruise ships. Has anyone used these, know how "useable" they actually are on the ships, etc. I thought it would be a good idea for the kids to use in the gift shop instead of their room card. All thoughts welcome!!!

You can put them onto your account at guest services, and then use your room key in the shops. But I don't think you can actually use the cards in the shops.

My kids loved being able to charge things to the room cards, they felt like "big shots" in their words. We let them pick out a few things in the gift shop and charge them.

Beware the arcade though. The arcade cards burn quickly.

On the ship, your room card is the only accepable way to pay for anything, except gambling which Disney does not have. If you plan on using gift cards, take them to the pursers desk and put them against your shipboard account. Keep in mind that as soon as you get to a $500 balance, all cruise lines submit the charges to the credit card account. If you plan on paying a large amount,ie. excursions, I would go the first day and prepay. All credit balances go against the credit card that you used as payment for room card.

Another board member suggested to call in the Disney Gift Card numbers into your TA and have it added to your account. We didn't book through a TA, but through Disney Cruise Lines directly, so wonder if this is something we can add when we do our online check in? Our local grocery store offers bonus gas perks with the purchase of gift cards so it's a double bonus for us -- cheaper gas and getting closer to a $0 balance on our room account!

• 9 months later...
Another board member suggested to call in the Disney Gift Card numbers into your TA and have it added to your account. We didn't book through a TA, but through Disney Cruise Lines directly, so wonder if this is something we can add when we do our online check in? Our local grocery store offers bonus gas perks with the purchase of gift cards so it's a double bonus for us -- cheaper gas and getting closer to a $0 balance on our room account!

There was discussion about this on another board, and it sparked my curiosity. Upon perusing the gift cards at the grocery store today, I ran into a woman who said she did the exact thing mentioned here. She ended up with 3 FREE full tanks of gas for her SUV and a trip paid for little by little with each paycheck/grocery trip :)

My question is: does anyone know if there is an expiration for the gift cards? I would love to start saving for a Disney trip/cruise, but since IDK when that will be (except later than sooner:() I dont want them to expire before I get to use them...

There was discussion about this on another board, and it sparked my curiosity. Upon perusing the gift cards at the grocery store today, I ran into a woman who said she did the exact thing mentioned here. She ended up with 3 FREE full tanks of gas for her SUV and a trip paid for little by little with each paycheck/grocery trip :)

My question is: does anyone know if there is an expiration for the gift cards? I would love to start saving for a Disney trip/cruise, but since IDK when that will be (except later than sooner:() I dont want them to expire before I get to use them...

In California, by law cash value gift cards never expire. Other states may vary.

disney gift cards do not expire.

• 6 years later...

How many gift cards can you use at one time to book a cruise. I read somewhere you can only use $1000. I want to start buying gift cards to save up for a Disney Cruise with my grandkids in the future. Like on an airline you can only use 3 forms of payments for one flight. So want to know about the Disney gift cards. Don’t want to get stuck with a bunch of gift cards I can’t use

How many gift cards can you use at one time to book a cruise. I read somewhere you can only use $1000. I want to start buying gift cards to save up for a Disney Cruise with my grandkids in the future. Like on an airline you can only use 3 forms of payments for one flight. So want to know about the Disney gift cards. Don’t want to get stuck with a bunch of gift cards I can’t use

There is no limit to how many you can use. Just be sure that they are DISNEY gift cards, not Disney Store gift cards. They are different!

No limit. Might I suggest you go the Disney Gift Card website and combine your smaller cards. You can put up to $1000 on a card. Then when you call it in to DCL you don't have tons of small cards to read out.

On board, just bring the cards, they will swipe them right into your account at guest services. But in the unlikely event you don't spend it all, keep the gift cards because it will be refunded to the gift cards.

If you have a Target Red Card you can buy Disney Gift Cards in the store and get 5% off. If you pay for your whole cruise that way you can save enough (usually) to pay your tips.