Grand Cayman Pirate Encounter

krissim9

We are planning on doing this excursion next with our kiddos (Three-year-old twin boys), but I am concerned about myself and sea sickness. I am pregnant and already having around the clock morning sickness. Does anyone know how rocky this boat is? I heard that lots of people end up sea sick on it. I already feel sea sick 24-hours a day on dry land, so I don't know what would happen once I am on a ship like this.

Thanks!

Krissi

We were just in GC last week. I have not done this tour but the the Pirate ship we saw was big, about the size of one of the large tenders that service the cruise ships. The water in the harbor was smooth as glass - I doubt you will have a problem.

There were some vendors selling all sorts of tours at the port - you might wait until the ship pulls in to see how you feel before you buy your tickets. Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was on this excursion with my husband and almost 6 year old in April. The boat was pretty stable with about the same level of motion as a tender boat would have.

I was a little bored by the excursion, but my son liked it. The pirates gathered the children on the lower deck to ask them questions, have them recite a pirate pledge, and scrub the decks. Then they threw buckets of water on them. They also tied up one of the parents and put a bucket of water over his head.

We dropped anchor and lots of people jumped in the water. Everyone who was swimming had to wear life vests (but you didn't have to inflate them).

I thought I read somewhere that the children would get to fire the cannon, but that didn't happen.

The pirate crew were very nice. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures :)

Archived