Impact Of PSVA on upcoming AK cruise/missed sailing

Can anyone advise me on the best coverage/company in this situation?

I wonder what protection I should have in the event that I miss the ship in SEA and be unable to board until day 3 in Ketchikan. This is part of a 14 day cruise, so I will be very interested in rejoining my sisters on the ship for the remainder of the cruise.

Costs anticipated: a $300 fine imposed (by the cruise line?), airfare and land costs in SEA prior to the flight to Ketchikan, Seattle Clipper fare from Victoria BC since I have to disembark in a foreign port, pro-rated cruise fare for missed days.

Has anyone experienced this situation and can share the outcome?

Are you flying into Seattle day before cruise departs? Unless you have cut your travel time very short (or didn't book air through cruise line) this shouldn't be an issue? Always recommend flying in day or evening before to avoid this type of situation. Can you change your ticket with just a change fee at this point if arrival is day of sailing?

Our non-stop flight from ORD arrives at 11am, ship sails from Pier 91 at 5pm, so I really don't expect this to be an issue, but one is smart to insure for the most likely of the unforseen situations.

I wonder what protection I should have in the event that I miss the ship in SEA and be unable to board until day 3 in Ketchikan. This is part of a 14 day cruise, so I will be very interested in rejoining my sisters on the ship for the remainder of the cruise.

Costs anticipated: a $300 fine imposed (by the cruise line?), airfare and land costs in SEA prior to the flight to Ketchikan, Seattle Clipper fare from Victoria BC since I have to disembark in a foreign port, pro-rated cruise fare for missed days.

I've always liked TravelSafe's Missed Connection Coverage. It's simple, it covers most reasons for missing the ship and the $2500 benefit will usually cover the added expenses plus the valus of the missed days.

"Missed Connection : If You miss Your cruise or tour departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination is delayed for 3 or more hours, benefits will be paid, on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount ($2500 per person), for a) the Additional Transportation Cost to join the Trip and b) the unused portion of the prepaid expenses for land or water Travel Arrangements, due to: a) any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the Common Carrier); b) a documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the point of departure; c) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, natural disaster, terrorism or riot. These benefits will not duplicate any benefits payable under the policy or any coverage(s) attached to the policy."

Stepping up to their Premier Plan will bump the coverage amount up to $3000 per person.

By the way, even if you do have to pay the fine, with proper documentation that the situation was unavoidable the fine is often waived. Just plain missing the flight because you overslept wouldn't do it but a documented carrier-caused delay normally would. The act is not designed to punish those who, because of the normal problems of travel and through no fault of their own, happen to end up in violation. The fines designed to keep both travelers and cruise lines from intentionally from skirting the regulations. If a fine is assessed you will be notified of where to send the paperwork to request a refund.

I've always liked TravelSafe's Missed Connection Coverage. It's simple, it covers most reasons for missing the ship and the $2500 benefit will usually cover the added expenses plus the valus of the missed days.

"Missed Connection : If You miss Your cruise or tour departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination is delayed for 3 or more hours, benefits will be paid, on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount ($2500 per person), for a) the Additional Transportation Cost to join the Trip and b) the unused portion of the prepaid expenses for land or water Travel Arrangements, due to: a) any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the Common Carrier); b) a documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the point of departure; c) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, natural disaster, terrorism or riot. These benefits will not duplicate any benefits payable under the policy or any coverage(s) attached to the policy."

Stepping up to their Premier Plan will bump the coverage amount up to $3000 per person.

By the way, even if you do have to pay the fine, with proper documentation that the situation was unavoidable the fine is often waived. Just plain missing the flight because you overslept wouldn't do it but a documented carrier-caused delay normally would. The act is not designed to punish those who, because of the normal problems of travel and through no fault of their own, happen to end up in violation. The fines designed to keep both travelers and cruise lines from intentionally skirting the regulations. If a fine is assessed you will be notified of where to send the paperwork to request a refund.

Double check with your cruiseline as to whether they will even be able to allow you to join the ship in a later port.

I recall that HAL had a situation last year where all subsequent ports were US, and therefore they could not allow the pax to join their cruise at all. I know for certain this happened a few times when Key West was the second port...pax had to wait for first foreign port to join ship.

As I understand it, the rule is that the ship cannot knowingly allow you to violate the PVSA except in cases of emergency debarkation. And there is no such thing as emergency embarkation.

If the ship is sailing from and returning to Seattle and you board at some other US port, you will have to disembark at the foreign port. The ship cannot allow you to sail from Katchikan (a US port) to Seattle (another US port) without a stop at a distant foreign port. There are no distant foreign ports in North or Central America.

Bottom line, you might not be allowed to board at all.

I suggest that you fly in the day before.

Archived