Help! Should I upgrade from Grand Suite to Owners Suite?

We are diamond members and for the first time, booked a grand suite on the Voyager since our 20 year-old daughter is traveling with my husband and I and we thought we would enjoy/need the extra space. The owners suite has dropped in price to within $150 of what I paid for the grand suite. Should I upgrade? Although the owners suite is larger, I am concerned about losing all the balcony space. The grand suite balcony looks great - but the owners suite balcony looks soooo small. Help! I have to know today!

We are diamond members and for the first time, booked a grand suite on the Voyager since our 20 year-old daughter is traveling with my husband and I and we thought we would enjoy/need the extra space. The owners suite has dropped in price to within $150 of what I paid for the grand suite. Should I upgrade? Although the owners suite is larger, I am concerned about losing all the balcony space. The grand suite balcony looks great - but the owners suite balcony looks soooo small. Help! I have to know today!

:cool:I was in the exact position as you. Diamond, booking my first "real suite". Booked GS (3 weeks), and looked at OS maybe five times. Each time I decided to stay where I was. Two credits, CL, same benefits. Just did not see the reason. Our DD is 26, and there is plenty of room for the 3 of us:cool:

Looks like you're on the Voyager. The OS balconies on the first three Voyager class ships are not as large as the two newer sisters. You're really not going to lose a lot of balcony space compared to the GS but you are going to gain a nice size cabin. I would go with the OS if it were me for the price. That's a great deal.

The part about time spent on the balcony is probably correct - we will be in the med and the itinerary is very port-intensive with only 1 sea day. Maybe it's just the photos I've seen, but the extra space (according to RCCL the OS is almost twice as large as the GS) doesn't look all that much more. So, wanted to verify what others thought. Any additional input is appreciated.

I was a 20 year old daughter who stayed with her parents in a Grand Suite. One word of warning, the sofa bed in the GS is utter misery if you are tall (I'm 5'10"). I'm not sure if the OS has the same type of sofa bed or if it's better. I say upgrade. You'd be amazed how small the GS can seem with parents and adult children. Even without the space issue, $150 for an Owner's suite? Sign me up!

We have had both Grand Suites and Owners Suites on the Voyager class ships. Absolutely spend the $150 more for the Owners Suite! The layouts may look similar, but the extra space inside is awesome. The sofa bed is huge and comfortable. We have an Owners Suite on our upcoming Explorer cruise.

The attached photo is OS # 1300 on the Explorer.

Eric

1343355181_photo4.jpg.99b6698b190a92f4b5947734103887b4.jpg

What a nice predicament to be in! I had a GS (Voyager class) 2 ladies with two 18yr old girls & loved it - plenty of room, spacious balcony, gi-normus mirrored closet, etc. Also had an OS.

Personally I liked the GS. Yes the OS is larger - there is a dining table (which we never used), and the decor is more subtle (I'm on a cruise! so I enjoyed the more lively patterns in the GS). In OS, if you both watch TV in bed, it's either facing one way or the other... however it does serve as something of a room divider, which you don't have in the GS (curtain only).

Biggest difference for me is the bathroom - GS has a large tub/shower combo - OS has a small spa tub and attached glass shower + a bidet. Both are huge by cabin standards and are decked out in gorgeous mosaics, marble & granite. Personally I liked the GS shower which better lent itself to holding all our various sundries and offered more vastly more space for our ladies grooming rituals! To me, the small shower is more reminiscent of the 55 gal drum in smaller cabins! I really feel the suite luxury in that spacious tub. Here is a link for great pics of OS bath: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1119084

and of the GS bath: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1112130

Some suite tips: use the Concierge lounge! Loved the specialty coffees in the am and cocktail hour before dinner, + check out videos there - your suite has surround sound with speakers in the ceiling.

I was on a 14 niter in the Med & we stayed in an inside! It was soooo port intensive and there was so much walking - honestly, when I was in the cabin i was sleeping! The inside was nice - lights out and you can sleep anytime - day or night.

Enjoy! (Was your price $150 total or pp?)

After reading most of the responses (I had not seen Sunny C's yet), I decided to make the change to the owners suite. When I called RCCL, it ended up only being $30 more total. I do think I will miss the larger balcony, but, looking at our med. itinerary, we only have 1 sea day - most of the days we are in port from 8 am - 7 pm. So, we'll be spending most of the time in teh room, not on the balcony. Hope I made the right choice (the price was right!). I'll update everyone when we return in June.

After reading most of the responses (I had not seen Sunny C's yet), I decided to make the change to the owners suite. When I called RCCL, it ended up only being $30 more total. I do think I will miss the larger balcony, but, looking at our med. itinerary, we only have 1 sea day - most of the days we are in port from 8 am - 7 pm. So, we'll be spending most of the time in teh room, not on the balcony. Hope I made the right choice (the price was right!). I'll update everyone when we return in June.

You will not be disappointed. There is also a huge window in the bedroom area. I loved leaving the curtains open to watch the moonlit ocean go by at night. It really opens up the room. The chair with ottoman in the bedroom area is nice too, especially when the sofa bed is in use and the divider curtain is closed. Please let us know how you liked the OS when you get back.

Eric

• 9 months later...

Archived