When is a Car Seat Necessary/Recommended?

I will be traveling with our then-almost 2-year-old and seven others on Allure's Western itinerary in July. I have read conflicting reports on where and when a car seat is required, or where it would just be stupid to go on an excursion without one.

Here are the questions I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1. With 9 of us, what is the smartest way to travel from FLL to the port? Is a car seat required?

2. Can a car seat be left at the port for the week, in order to save room in the cabin? If not, is there some other known alternative for storage?

3. Is there a good reason to bring a car seat on the boat with us? We are considering an afternoon trip in Falmouth to My Time 'n Place and a day trip in Cozumel to Nachi Cocum.

4. Since we have a late flight out of FLL on the 24th, we are planning on spending the day at the Harbor Beach Marriott. What would be the best way to get there and then to the airport later in the day? Is a car seat required?

Florida law requires your 2-year old to be in a car seat. You can store it under your bed on the cruise.

Taxi is the best way in FLL; you will need more than one, but the fare is about $15 per taxi, including tip.

You might get some helpful info on the Family board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

So if we take a shuttle from FLL to the port my child is required by law to be in a car seat?

What is the clearance under the bed in a balcony room? I've read elsewhere about passengers having to open their suitcases just to fit them under the bed. I'd be surprised if my child's car seat fit under a bed like that.

But I hope you're right.

So if we take a shuttle from FLL to the port my child is required by law to be in a car seat?

What is the clearance under the bed in a balcony room? I've read elsewhere about passengers having to open their suitcases just to fit them under the bed. I'd be surprised if my child's car seat fit under a bed like that.

But I hope you're right.

Your car seat will not fit under bed unless it comes apart or is a certain brand (not sure which one). Just give it to Room Steward and he will take it away until the last night then put it in the empty closet.

US law does state that you will need a child car seat for travel. As for shuttle if you are pre booking phone them and they can provide one (some may charge extra for it but not much). I know if you contact some of the Airport shuttles and book at least 2 week's ahead they will have it for you and installed (one parent must be sitting beside the child). We had one a few years ago with a shuttle company (cannot remeber name now) but since we phoned in advance they had one already for us when we arrived (it was free then).

Archived