Denali Explorer Trip on Island Princess- Excursion Crazy

igepal

This might actually work out. 8/3 my wife and I can do Jeff King's dog kennel. 8/4 from 7:30 to 10:30 my wife and I can do the covered wagon tour/breakfast. Then I can grab the 11AM shuttle to the visitor's center and catch the 12PM trip to Eilson. My wife can have the afternoon to relax around the hotel. I can get back at 8 and hopefully catch the shuttle back to do the dinner/play special with my wife at 8:30. Whew!

Anyone have any comments on the hotel and the dinner/show?

Thanks again.... George

Do not count on that 8:30pm dinner, you likely will not make it. The shuttle buses do NOT run on a "schedule". I always get back at least a half hour later. Even if on time, you are going to have a wait for the lodge shuttle.

I would skip the hokey covered wagon, and get on an earlier shuttle bus, if the dinner is a priority.

Look above- it says "Arrive 8/3 Denali 5:45PM - 1/2 hour bus ride to Princess Wilderness Lodge." I am not referring to what you are responding to.

I know all about the padded timing the cruisetours, operate under. This poster has only give very limited itinerary information, which makes recommending anything more difficult. They already have made some "corrections" from prior information. I was looking for the factual cruisetour information.

The OP gave his itinerary, over a few posts. You understand the the timing is padded. You understand it takes a lot more then 30 minutes to get from the McKinley Princess to the Denali. Why do you keep asking about the McKinley:confused: Princess?

He arrives by train (from Whittier) at 5:45 and then take a 30 minute :D bus ride to the Denali Princess.

The tour is train to Denali, 2 nights in Denali followed by one or two nights in Fairbanks.

It may sound hokey, but my wife likes animals up close and personal rather than a half mile away. In my 38 years of marriage, I've learned it's a game of give and take. Give her what she wants and I (sometimes) get what I want :)

The itinerary says 5:45- 6:15PM- Rail Depot to Lodge. Are you saying the ride to the lodge takes more than 30 minutes or less?

Much less. The distance is maybe a mile or two. However the train might be a few minutes late and it takes a few minutes to load the buses. I still wouldn't count on getting to the hotel before 6:15.

• 2 weeks later...

The Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge is only 1 mile south of the train depot.

The Princess Train does have dinner service from Denali to Fairbanks. We will be very happy to serve you dinner on the train, and dinner starts around 5:00 pm. The train gets to Fairbanks depot at around 8 pm and Princess buses will be waiting to take you to your next destination in Fairbanks.

Archived