VNP tour with Robert's

lladage

Has anyone taken the VNP tour with Robert's? Their price is good, but their description is really minimal. Do they take you to the Thurston lava tube like most of the other VNP tours? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Lynn

I did see Robert's buses, several, parked at the Thurston Lava tube. BUT, I would not consider that a priority of any tour of Volcanos National Park. It is a 10 minute walk, through a so so "tube" at best. (there is a significantly better one, on the road to Hana) Far more important, in my opinion is where it goes and for how long. I have never seen any big buses at the end of the Chain of Craters Road??

Has anyone taken the VNP tour with Robert's? Their price is good, but their description is really minimal. Do they take you to the Thurston lava tube like most of the other VNP tours? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Lynn

We took Roberts last year and stopped at the lava tubes.

DT

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from Hawaii 10 days ago and did the VNP tour with Roberts. We did do the Thurston Lava Tube. Our driver also did drive down Chain of Craters Rd just a bit and let us get out to walk on some lava. This was not part of the tour. I would have loved to have spent a bit more time at the Visitors Center at VNP and skipped the Orchid Farm, but that is just me! All in all, it was a good day for a fair price and we saw a lot!

We took Robert's VNP tour in Hilo. We really enjoyed it. It was half the price than if we'd booked via the ship. We went to (in order): Rainbow Falls (sadly no rainbow on our day....but still beautiful), Mauna Loa Nut Factory (viewing, free samples, $$ lunch, & some nut shopping), Jagger Museum at the caldera in VNP, the July 1974 lava flow at Lua Manu (don't take any lava rocks or you'll get the curse of Pele...cross the road quick so you can get some pics of the lava flows without 'stranger dangers' in your pictures), Thurston Lava Tube hike (where we were provided a taste of apple bananas...also hike is not for the physically challenged), Anatsuka Orchid Farm (some shopping there) and finally Big Island Chocolates (samples and shopping). The only thing you don't get that NCL provides is a stop at Hilo Hatties (Roberts is not allowed to stop @ HH). Our driver (Derek) was wonderful!! Funny, informative, courteous! He constantly pointed out landmarks, stories, etc. along the way. The only negative (which would be true of ANY group tour) is that I would have preferred spending more time at some of the stops. But...in order to see everything and get back to the ship on time, we had a schedule to keep.

Roberts is very reliable!

• 2 months later...
We took Robert's VNP tour in Hilo. We really enjoyed it. It was half the price than if we'd booked via the ship. We went to (in order): Rainbow Falls (sadly no rainbow on our day....but still beautiful), Mauna Loa Nut Factory (viewing, free samples, $$ lunch, & some nut shopping), Jagger Museum at the caldera in VNP, the July 1974 lava flow at Lua Manu (don't take any lava rocks or you'll get the curse of Pele...cross the road quick so you can get some pics of the lava flows without 'stranger dangers' in your pictures), Thurston Lava Tube hike (where we were provided a taste of apple bananas...also hike is not for the physically challenged), Anatsuka Orchid Farm (some shopping there) and finally Big Island Chocolates (samples and shopping). The only thing you don't get that NCL provides is a stop at Hilo Hatties (Roberts is not allowed to stop @ HH). Our driver (Derek) was wonderful!! Funny, informative, courteous! He constantly pointed out landmarks, stories, etc. along the way. The only negative (which would be true of ANY group tour) is that I would have preferred spending more time at some of the stops. But...in order to see everything and get back to the ship on time, we had a schedule to keep.

Roberts is very reliable!

From what I've been reading Roberts Hawaii seems like a reliable tour company and the pricing seems good. Do you have to pay up front with a credit card or can you pay after the tour with either cash or credit card?

Thanks

Kruz Guys

Stephen & Tom

We took the VNP tour through Roberts last year. We made all of the same stops as NCL's busses and stopped before they arrived or after they left so we never had to fight the crowds. Many times our busses would be pulling out as NCL's was pulling in. A fellow passenger on the POAm commented to me later that they always saw our busses pulling out as they arrived and became envious of us because all of their stops were too crowded.

The VNP is a total tour and the lava tube is just a small part of it. It is well worth the money and especially through Roberts.

We took the VNP tour through Roberts last year. We made all of the same stops as NCL's busses and stopped before they arrived or after they left so we never had to fight the crowds. Many times our busses would be pulling out as NCL's was pulling in. A fellow passenger on the POAm commented to me later that they always saw our busses pulling out as they arrived and became envious of us because all of their stops were too crowded.

The VNP is a total tour and the lava tube is just a small part of it. It is well worth the money and especially through Roberts.

The more I read about Roberts the more I am leaning toward his company. Thanks for the good reviews.

Does Roberts pick you up at the port?

Their website indicates pickups from certain hotels only.

Thanks!

Yes, Roberts picks you up at the port. They actually have several busses there going to both the hotels & the airport.

Roberts offers six "transfer" trips:

1.) Airport to the ship port

2.) Airport to Waikiki Hotels

3.) Waikiki Hotels to the ship port

4.) Ship port to the Waikiki Hotels

5.) Ship port to the Airport.

6.) Waikiki Hotels to the Airport

They are MUCH cheaper than the cruise lines transfers.

From what I've been reading Roberts Hawaii seems like a reliable tour company and the pricing seems good. Do you have to pay up front with a credit card or can you pay after the tour with either cash or credit card?

Thanks

Kruz Guys

Stephen & Tom

I called Roberts a few days ago inquiring about their tours. They told me that you pay by credit card up front, and then there is a 24 hr cancellation policy. If you cancel 24 hrs or shorter...they charge the entire amount and you get no refund. If you cancel any time up to before 24 hours before the tour, they charge you 10% of the tour fees. So, if you reserve the tour, they charge your credit card in full, and then you cancel the next day....you still pay 10% no matter how far in advance you cancel.

Just FYI...this is what I was told on the phone.

Kelly

I called Roberts a few days ago inquiring about their tours. They told me that you pay by credit card up front, and then there is a 24 hr cancellation policy. If you cancel 24 hrs or shorter...they charge the entire amount and you get no refund. If you cancel any time up to before 24 hours before the tour, they charge you 10% of the tour fees. So, if you reserve the tour, they charge your credit card in full, and then you cancel the next day....you still pay 10% no matter how far in advance you cancel.

Just FYI...this is what I was told on the phone.

Kelly

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the response.

Stephen

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the response.

Stephen

No problem Stephen...have you used this tour company? I am thinking about using them for an upcoming trip in December. Also thinking about taking the Pearl Harbor tour through them when we get off the ship the last day....they take your luggage as well and drop you off at airport or hotel afterwards.

Just wondered if you used them and if so, which tours and what was your opinion. Thanks...Kelly

No problem Stephen...have you used this tour company? I am thinking about using them for an upcoming trip in December. Also thinking about taking the Pearl Harbor tour through them when we get off the ship the last day....they take your luggage as well and drop you off at airport or hotel afterwards.

Just wondered if you used them and if so, which tours and what was your opinion. Thanks...Kelly

No, we haven't used them but are thinking about using them for a few tours when we go to Hawaii on the Pride of America's Dec 10th cruise. The tours sound pretty good and the reviews have been positive so far on Cruise Critic. Just haven't decided yet.

Stephen & Tom

Kruz Guys

For clairfication, I have never seen any of these buses at the end of the Chain of Crater Road, so, in my opinion, not really a "total tour" of VNP.

Archived