Distance from Cruise Terminal to Hato Int'l Airport

Starrgazer50

I'm interested in flying over to Bonaire on our cruise stop in Curacao.

Does anyone have an idea of how far the Hato Int'l Airport is and apprx.cost of Taxi?

Or, maybe you've done this before. If so, would you mind sharing your adventure experience?

We will be there from 8:00am to 11:00pm and I figured that this would be a great opportunity to see another island.

Thanks.:)

Karaokelady-

The ride to the airport from the Megapier should take approx 30 minutes if there is no traffic. However, road closures pop up "whenever" (pothole repair, trash pickup, tree trimming, etc.) and can add to your travel time.

The main issue is the "airport process". You will have to arrive for the flight at least 60 minutes prior and then the immigration/luggage check takes additional time depending on how many employees are on duty and how many passengers there are (you have to go through this process even if you have no carry-ons - it took us 20 minutes). There is also a hefty "departure tax" which you are required to pay when departing Curacao and again when departing Bonaire.

We rented a car for the week in CUR so I do not know how much the taxi ride costs. We have taken week long trips in Bonaire and while in Bonaire, you will either rent a car or hire a taxi to take you sightseeing since there is very little near the airport - factor in more time and money.

There is also "island time" to consider. You may be in a hurry, but no one else will be. Our flight to Curacao arrived 20 minutes early which coincided with two other planes that arrived on time. You'd think that with all the extra passengers that there would be more than two agents handling the immigration process - let's just say that it took us 70 minutes for that process alone.

Long story short - I personally would not go through all that hassle. This gives you a good excuse to choose your next cruise with Bonaire as one of the ports of call.

• 1 year later...
Karaokelady-

The ride to the airport from the Megapier should take approx 30 minutes if there is no traffic. However, road closures pop up "whenever" (pothole repair, trash pickup, tree trimming, etc.) and can add to your travel time.

The main issue is the "airport process". You will have to arrive for the flight at least 60 minutes prior and then the immigration/luggage check takes additional time depending on how many employees are on duty and how many passengers there are (you have to go through this process even if you have no carry-ons - it took us 20 minutes). There is also a hefty "departure tax" which you are required to pay when departing Curacao and again when departing Bonaire.

We rented a car for the week in CUR so I do not know how much the taxi ride costs. We have taken week long trips in Bonaire and while in Bonaire, you will either rent a car or hire a taxi to take you sightseeing since there is very little near the airport - factor in more time and money.

There is also "island time" to consider. You may be in a hurry, but no one else will be. Our flight to Curacao arrived 20 minutes early which coincided with two other planes that arrived on time. You'd think that with all the extra passengers that there would be more than two agents handling the immigration process - let's just say that it took us 70 minutes for that process alone.

Long story short - I personally would not go through all that hassle. This gives you a good excuse to choose your next cruise with Bonaire as one of the ports of call.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry that it's been over a year since you wrote and I had not responded. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question so thoroughly. I did decided to follow your advice.:)

Archived