Insurnace to purchase for mini cruise to Canada

kathy884

Hello,

Apprciate the great advice and web links provided on this site!

Please let me know your thoughts regarding travel insurnance I'm considering purchasing for a five day Canadian Cruise to two Canadian ports from New York and back. We're US citizens, live in Missouri, and have relatives who live near NYC that we will be visiting prior to the cruise. We have no pre-existing medical conditions that we are aware of and no big risks of family emergencies that we think would disrupt vacation plans. There are three in my party: DH 56, me 50, and DS 15.

A little background. We can self insure for trip cancellation (unlikely) // wouldn't have time to do another trip if we cancel this one // would have money in vacation budget for next year for a similar trip.

My main concern / area I thought I should buy coverage for is medical evacuation // low risk and we're just talking Canada - not in a remote third world country, but higher risk than on normal trips for us or normal life as we are on the water. Through work, we have good medical coverage and ok medical evacation coverage that is unlimited after a $2500 deductible, but then just pays 80%.

I'm thinking what makes the most sense to buy for us and what would be the least expensive is single trip medical insurance. I saw a few policies on insuremytrip.com that would give us $50,000 in secondary medical coverage and $500,000 in secondary medical evaluation coverage with a $250 deductible for about $40. // Some trip interruption insurance, baggage coverage, and accidental death coverage (not anything I was looking for) are also thrown in too.

I like the idea or secondary coverage as I think we have an excellent primary insurance company that is very responsive and has great customer service (like the idea that they, a know quantity to me with a good reputation, is who I would deal with first and that a carrier that I don't know is who I would deal with second).

Do you think I'm on the right track looking at this or is there other coverage you think I need to consider too? Or let me know if you think wth just a short cruise to Canada, you'd skip getting any extra coverage at all.

(I appeciate your advice. Most of our travel has been land based in the US, so looking at additional insurance covering us during a vacation is new to me.)

Archived