Quoted $65/hr for Blue Flag taxi tour,have rates gone up?

loisagogo

I finally got 1 answer out of 4 emails I have sent to various taxi drivers listed on this board. He quoted me $65 hr for 4 people and said this is the new price in Bermuda. Is this correct or should I keep looking for a $40 hr rate?

also are BLue Flag or Blue Bonnet taxis available at the Dockyard when the cruise ship docks or is it best to have one booked ahead of time?

Hi Loisagogo,

Right. I just spoke to my tame Taxi Driver "The Stig", AND the Government Transport Control Department, and here's the deal:

Taxi Tour rates are mandated and controlled by Government. The rates are $40 per hour for a four person cab and $55.50 per hour for a six person cab.

A driver can negotiate LESS than the standard rate, but not MORE.

Most drivers will ask for a minimum time, usually three hours.

Unlike regular taxi rates, these prices do not change at night, on Sundays or holidays.

It is quite likely (and reasonable) that if you book a tour through your ship, they will add a charge, but if you are dealing directly with a driver, they CANNOT ask more than the Government rate without risking getting in big trouble and losing their license.

Government is VERY strict about this. We will not tolerate a situation here similar to that which exists in many other destinations where visitors are "ripped off" by rogue drivers.

Tours are available from both regular drivers or "Blue Flag" drivers.

The difference is that Blue Flag drivers have completed a Government course and are therefore qualified as Tour Guides.

There is no difference in rates - but Blue Flag drivers may be harder to book, simply because they are very busy.

That said, many cruisers have reported excellent trips with non-Blue Flag drivers.

There will usually be taxis available right there at the dock to go on tours, but if you want a specific time or service, it would be in your interest to book ahead of time - there is no extra charge for this.

Hope that covers your questions...

Have Fun!

so he is not being truthful when he said this the new rate. he quoted me $65 for 1-4 people, 3 hour minimum and 5-6 people $85/hr. He said he upgraded his qualifications with the Dept of Tourism and is now a "Blue Flag Ambassador" of Bermuda. Can you recommend any taxi drivers that respond to their emails. I have tried 3 others recommended on this board and no responses from any of them in almost 2 weeks.

Hi Loisagogo,

Your driver is quoting you above the legal rate. If TCD find out about it, he will lose his license and be fined.

By the rules of this forum, I am not allowed to recommend specific drivers, but there are many threads with feedback from cruisers on drivers they have used.

If you can't get email responses from your drivers, try the online Bermuda Yellow pages Taxi listings, here:

http://www.bermudayp.com/searchresults/1/taxis

As a rule, they answer a phone call much more readily than an email.

Have Fun!

Per Colin Jennings from April for or June date

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your e-mail. I have just gotten a chance to read my e-mail. If you are still interested in touring with me I am available to tour with you on June 22nd. I would recommend a 4-5 hour tour being that it is your first time visiting the island. This would allow you to see most of the island, visit some great spots, stop for lunch in between and visit one of our beautiful beaches. The price is $40 per hour for 1-4 people and $55 per hour for 5+ people. Please let me know what time your ship arrives so that we can set a pick-up time. Again, I want to say sorry for taking so long to respond.

colinjenningstaxi@yahoo.com

441-799-2959

I just got answer from Colin last night too - like I said, he takes a while but he will answer you!:)

You will be very happy with your tour with Colin! We plan to try to book him when we go back to Bermuda next year!

Archived