Do They Let You Order Off-Menu at Giovanni's Table?

I am really looking forward to eating at Giovanni's Table. I have reviewed both the lunch and dinner menus and will have no trouble choosing from the options listed.

However, I'm traveling with a group of 9 and there are some less-than-adventurous eaters in the group.

If they want something simple that isn't specifically offered on the menu, do you think Giovanni's Table will accommodate their order? Or is the restaurant fairly strict about sticking to what's offered?

For example, the dinner menu has a gnocchi and cream sauce pasta dish and a number of dishes that are served with pesto. Could someone special-order gnocchi with pesto?

If you've tried ordering off-menu I'd appreciate any details about how your experience went.

I realize special orders like this are a hassle for servers and kitchen staff, and I would tip accordingly; but if it's simply not done or extremely frowned upon, I can just keep my group in line or relegate those with limited palates to the MDR.

I’ve heard yes and no. When we sailed, we met folks who went and the chef would not change the menu item. They left.

Unless there is a medical/religious reason for not eating certain foods, I feel sorry for those who will not try anything new.

Given your limitations, seems like you will find it hard to select a place everyone will like. If it were me, I would go to the restaurant and those who wanted to go can, and those who don’t like the menu can dine elsewhere. ( as you noted)

With so many options, everyone can eventually be happy . Good luck.

M

cruisegirl, have no doubt, I will not let anyone in the group spoil my vacation.

To quote a recent post:

ONE RULE: Groups and Families - {Understood WEEKS ahead and agreed to prior to booking}

"If we all do everything together, that is fine and it will be fun; if we do nothing together, that is fine and it will be fun; anything and everything in between is fine and it will be fun."

I'm just trying to save time and hassle on the Allure by having my questions answered now by the helpful people on this board.

Thanks for the info/well wishes.

During our recent cruise we went to Giovanni's for both lunch and dinner.

I did not hear anyone special order anything at the dinner meal.

At our lunch meal there were 9 people seated near us at one table and they were of various ages (30's to late 80's) - as they were seated - several mentioned to the host that there were several "picky" eaters, religious food restricted diners, and allergy sufferers.

The host walked away and returned a few moments later with a "chef" - not sure what level the "chef" was at (head chef? sous chef? line chef?, executive chef?). This chef talked to each individual and with the server took all the orders. Not once did the chef or the server say "no" to anything that was ordered or changed from the original menu.

After the meal (the entire table seemed to enjoy themselves) someone asked to speak to the chef again. He was handed a cash tip and was thanked by everyone for accommodating all of their varied requests.

When the server dropped off the bill, several diners said the minimum tip should be 20%. The person paying said the tip was already included. After a little discussion - several individuals left cash tips next to their plates.

This was our only experience with changes, special requests.

Personal experience - I suffer with a nut allergy - I never asked the staff to change an item - but asked that they check to see if any nuts or nut oils where used in the preparation. Not once did the staff question my requests for info or appear "put out" by being asked to secure the info for me.

Archived