Best adventure tour in PR

Boatingmom

Ha, ha! It's great to see all us great minds thinking alike for PR! April-in-NC, who did you book with? I signed up for the RainForest/BioBay excursion so I could do two things at once.

Ha, ha! It's great to see all us great minds thinking alike for PR! April-in-NC, who did you book with? I signed up for the RainForest/BioBay excursion so I could do two things at once.

I signed up with Kayaking Puerto Rico, the excursion is $70 which includes round trip transportation with pick-up and drop off at my hotel.

Well, I am not allowed to name names, and I don't now the date/times you will be in port, but there are some great adventure tours- zip lines, rappeling, hiking, caves tubing, climbing waterfalls etc. Most of these are day trips.

The BioBay is great, if the moon is right. You would need to check that before booking. This is a night time trip and you would need to be in port until at least 10:30pm

OK so I can fly in on a Thursday and do el Junque on Friday day and bio bay kayak friday night. Hang at the hotel with late checkout.to the ship by 2 and then either stay on the ship or do the fort. Does that sound too busy? Ship leaves at 8:30pm

OK so I can fly in on a Thursday and do el Junque on Friday day and bio bay kayak friday night. Hang at the hotel with late checkout.to the ship by 2 and then either stay on the ship or do the fort. Does that sound too busy? Ship leaves at 8:30pm

I don't think that is too busy, after all the Bio Bay excursion is just a few hours in the evening (be sure to check the moon calendar before you book, a full moon is not good for seeing the sparklies). If you wanted to you could spend a few hours on Friday exploring OSJ and the forts and still have time to relax before going kayaking.

I don't think there's a restriction against locals naming specific tour operators or attractions. They've deleted/moved the document that outlines the restrictions so I can't refer to it, but my understanding is a local business can't use the CC forums to advertise their business, which is only fair. If you are a business, you're not supposed to pretend to be a cruiser/Cruise Critic member as a way of promoting your business. That used to happen regularly a few years ago, but CC did a good job of banning the violators from the forums. A local also isn't supposed to steer cruisers to specific businesses, either.

Boatingmom, your plans for PR are very similar to mine. The rain forest/bio bay tour doesn't leave until late morning (thank goodness!) so you can have a leisurely breakfast before you go. That combo tour also includes a stop for dinner, I think, so you'll get a break between tours. From what I've read, though, the kayaking is fairly active, so you may be tired the next day.

I just read about an infrared camera from Bell & Howell (I didn't know they were still around!) that's good for taking night shots. People in the paranormal business use them. I was thinking about getting one to photograph the biobay. Anybody familiar with this camera???!!!

I did the bio bay tour 2 years ago, but the group that was with me would not do the kayaks. We took a tour that required us to go on a boat across the bay over to Vieques then take a bus to a little restaurant to eat then onto a really old bus that takes you through the forest that is really scary and you have to think a little to yourself "they could bury us here and no one would find us for years" :) then we finally arrived at the bay. With all the various transportations and rough water (yes very rough water getting over to Veiques) and through the woods oh and making an emergency stop on the bus for the horse that ran out in front of us, it was the best experience that I have ever had. So if you have people that do not want to do the kayak experience you can do a search for bio bay not by kayak. this tour will take up your entire day.

I don't think there's a restriction against locals naming specific tour operators or attractions. They've deleted/moved the document that outlines the restrictions so I can't refer to it, but my understanding is a local business can't use the CC forums to advertise their business, which is only fair. If you are a business, you're not supposed to pretend to be a cruiser/Cruise Critic member as a way of promoting your business. That used to happen regularly a few years ago, but CC did a good job of banning the violators from the forums. A local also isn't supposed to steer cruisers to specific businesses, either.

I only know what they told me, when they kicked me off: Cruise Critic is for cruisers by cruisers, not locals (even ones that cruise!). So they would prefer locals don't even answer.

CC doesn't know what local owns what business or who is getting kick backs from certain local businesses etc. And you said it yourself "A local also isn't supposed to steer cruisers to specific businesses". That would be done by naming names. I try to help and give as much info as I can, but try to stay within the guidelines.

rainforestgirl, guess cruisecritic doesn't know that locals take cruises, too!

Katfncy, you don't remember the name of the bio-bay tour provider? Did you leave from San Juan? How did you find them? Did they let you swim in the biobay?

• 2 weeks later...
I only know what they told me, when they kicked me off: Cruise Critic is for cruisers by cruisers, not locals (even ones that cruise!). So they would prefer locals don't even answer.

CC doesn't know what local owns what business or who is getting kick backs from certain local businesses etc. And you said it yourself "A local also isn't supposed to steer cruisers to specific businesses". That would be done by naming names. I try to help and give as much info as I can, but try to stay within the guidelines.

What if I ask you for information are you allowed to give it? For example, What is the best restaurant in SoFo? What restaurant/bar has a good view? Or outside seating?

Thanks. :)

Ms411 - We did the same excursion that Katfncy is talking about this past March. I agree completely with everything that she said - driving through the rainforest in the pitch black with a rickety school bus and then they drop you off in the middle of nowhere and you completely question whether this was a wise move...But then it was probably one of the highlights of our cruise.....And yes - you do swim in the biobay. For an extra fee they will provide transportation from San Juan....We left at 3PM and returned to our rooms at midnight so it meant for a short night because we flew out of San Juan at 7AM the next morning but we're the type that pack in the most we can do when we go....

Here is the tour that we did....

http://www.eastwindcats.com/pages/powercat_excursion1.html

The bio-luminescent bay tour is about 2/3 down the page. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks, gkjta. I'm trying to remember their website without checking it again, but I was reluctant about booking an excursion that doesn't offer San Juan pick up regularly as part of their service. If I'm the only one who needs SJ pickup, I was afraid I may get a last minute "cancellation."

As it stands right now, I'm the only one booked for the rain forest/biobay tour in Sept and they need a 6 person minimum, but I'm confirmed for their biobay tour regardless (a different tour provider).

So now I have to make alternate plans in case nobody else wants to do that tour that day, but I don't want to make reservations for a just in case situation so far in advance.

I want to go to Fajardo anyway on a land vacation, so I'll just wait and do the swimming biobay tour then.

There's a zipline not too far from San Juan that I'm considering, and a bicycle tour in the rainforest, so I've got lots to choose from in case the rain forest doesn't work out with the biobay tour. There's so much to do in PR that I'm sure I'll find a suitable adventure!

I have done multiple tours with Eco Quest, horseback riding, zip lines, jungle hike with rappelling and zip lining, the biobay kayaking.....all were fabulous. This is an amazing group that are so professional and fun. The jungle hike was amazing and you go through a portion that is on the family's land, and your guides know the area like the back of their hands. The 80ft waterfall we rappelled down was just breath taking, and the family had lunch prepared for us at their house when we were done. I just can't say enough good things about them! I will be doing the zip lining again in dec when I'm down there for a Victory cruise.

April, thanks so much for posting your review! Too bad I don't get to go until September. Were you able to take photos? Did they turn out???

I couldn't get pictures of the biolumenescence (even a National Geographic photographer couldn't when he tried) but I was glad I had my camera. I got a few decent shapshots of the trees and kayaks... They also take pictures of you (for free) and email you a Facebook link after the tour.

Archived