Anyone do the 9 hour Chikoot Train/Bus Tour?

AuntieEm

Just wondering if anyone has done this tour? Did you like it? According to the website we would be on the train 4.5 hours compared to being on the train 1 3/4 hour if we do the 7.5 hour tour. DH is also more interested in walking around Lake Bennett which is on the 9 hour tour and not so much the museum and Husky puppy camp which is on the 7.5 hour tour. But not sure if 9 hours is just too long. If anybody has experience with this tour would love to hear what you thought about it.

Thanks,

Emily

We did this tour in August, 2008 and loved it. The only thing that didn't really impress me was the lunch in Bennett. My husband is a Gold Rush fan so walking around there at lunch was very interesting. I'd recommend the tour.

Just wondering if anyone has done this tour? Did you like it? According to the website we would be on the train 4.5 hours compared to being on the train 1 3/4 hour if we do the 7.5 hour tour. DH is also more interested in walking around Lake Bennett which is on the 9 hour tour and not so much the museum and Husky puppy camp which is on the 7.5 hour tour. But not sure if 9 hours is just too long. If anybody has experience with this tour would love to hear what you thought about it.

Thanks,

Emily

I'm considering the same 9 hour tour and wondering whether I should stay with that vs do 1.5 hour Glacier Bay flight seeing (surprisingly the same cost) or raft to see the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve. Is the 9 hour train ride + tour worth the $?

We booked it in 2009 and it was WONDERFUL!!! Like your DH we weren't interested in the stop with the dogs and did want to see the Bennett Lake area. We were not disappointed. The scenery after Fraser (where the 7 hour train tour ends) is so gorgeous. We LOVED Bennett Lake, including the lunch. We wished we had more time to explore the area. We found this stop very interesting with all the gold miner artifacts that have been left in place and aren't allowed to be touched.

Whether 9 hours is too much depends on what you enjoy. For us, we are scenery buffs. We never tire of it. The tour never felt long and was never boring to us. No matter which direction we turned on both the train tour and the bus tour there was something to look at that we were in awe over. We did this tour with Chilkoot and were very pleased. They have smaller mini-buses which are great. You can load and unload quickly. They make many more stops than the bigger tour buses. They will also stop when passengers request it, if they can do so safely. (At least that is what was done in 200*).

So, yes, I did it and loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat!!

Thanks,

Emily

If you don't mind driving, you could rent a car from Avis for about $100. We drove to Emerald Lake & back in about 5.5hrs. We stopped at the museum/husky camp, but only for a "pit" stop. There's an info center @ Carcross ... they were very hospitable & helpful.

Thanks for the responses. It seems like most take the 7 hour tour, I really haven't come across posts that have taken the 9 hour tour. Thanks vbmom87 and inkmahm that's what I wanted to know, to read that you liked and would recommend the tour. We too like the idea of the smaller buses and being able to walk around Lake Bennett.

I would gather that some of the scenery you couldn't see by car and since this is our 1st time in Alaska we really don't want to drive, we're on vacation and want someone else to do the driving for us. :cool: Maybe the next time we're in Skagway we'll drive. 9 hours does sound like a long time but I'm thinking it will go fast looking at all the scenery and taking lots of pictures.

Thanks for the responses. It seems like most take the 7 hour tour, I really haven't come across posts that have taken the 9 hour tour. Thanks vbmom87 and inkmahm that's what I wanted to know, to read that you liked and would recommend the tour. We too like the idea of the smaller buses and being able to walk around Lake Bennett.

I would gather that some of the scenery you couldn't see by car and since this is our 1st time in Alaska we really don't want to drive, we're on vacation and want someone else to do the driving for us. :cool: Maybe the next time we're in Skagway we'll drive. 9 hours does sound like a long time but I'm thinking it will go fast looking at all the scenery and taking lots of pictures.

This tour has only been operating for a few years. I believe the first year it was supposed to run the tracks got washed out by some bad rain storms. There are very few reviews, but if you dig long and hard you can find a few.

Many will advise others not to spend the money on the train because you see the same scenery from both. That is not true. What is true is that yes, part of the trip will have a duplication of scenery, but the train eventually pulls away from running parallel to the road and you will be in your own wilderness. Coming back on the bus gives you the best of both worlds!!! I have to say the 9 hours never seemed long to me. However, as I mentioned above, I am so captivated by scenery. Only you know what you are like. I am sure some would find the tour long and boring. Not me!!!

I totally agree with you. I love looking at scenery too and we are so looking forward to this trip. I kind of thought that you could see more on the train than just a car/bus, the train tracks and road couldn't possibly parallel each other the whole way. It's good to know that they don't. Thanks for the info.

I tried to book this but they do not run the 9 hr tour on the day that we are in port (believe we are there on Saturday).

Engrdad is correct: I confirmed via email with Chilkoot yesterday that they do not run the 9 hr tour on Saturdays. Our group of 6 was planning to do the 9 hr, but now we will do the 7.5 hour. I'm very glad I looked at this thread yesterday -- I had no idea until then that this tour was not available on Saturdays. :o

Leigh Ann

Archived