Any tips for gluten free eating/ordering? - All much appreciated

samnewbie

If I don't eat in the dining room the day before, I go the entrance and ask to see the next evenings menu. I make my selections and leave it for my maitre'd. If I'm not dining in the dr one evening, I let the maitre'd know. I may have let him know I was going to want room service that evening but I really do not remember.

Under the Miscellaneous selections on the Gluten-Free Request form you will find pizza crusts, cold cereals, and pancakes/waffles. It is just nice to have something different one day for lunch.

I will pipe in here. I have gluten intolerance and hubby and I have taken 8 cruises with HAL.

I fill out the list of gf items and submit it through my TA. The first HAL cruise we took six years ago to Alaska was wonderful. After dinner, for dessert, they would ply me with all manner of gluten free cookies, cake, desserts. Yum!!! Most of the food was great, and I was able to get the gf cereal in the morning and a muffin here or there.

However, I am disappointed with HAL (and even with Celebrity) They do well with gf dinners, but it is a struggle and huge hassle to get what I need for breakfast or lunch. The only thing I have been able to get safely through room service is smoked salmon, cheese and fruit.

Sometimes I feel like ignoring the form because no matter what I order, I rarely get what I have marked on the sheet. The gluten free bread shows up each evening, but I have never had a pizza, the cereal. The one muffin I got at a MDR breakfast was a small chocolate chip muffin that was terrible.

I wish HAL would realize that if they go the mile for GF meals and treats that they will win SO many more devoted fans. I, for one, would be very willing to pay an extra $50.00 or so just to know that I can easily get pancakes, cereal, room service gf food AND that they would have on hand in the galley, gf soy sauce or what is known as Tamari sauce.

I would love it if celiac folks could order snack baskets ahead of time that would have items like snack bars, cookies, nuts, cheese packets, single serving boxes of gf cereal, etc.

If anyone from HAL reads these posts, please please make it policy to automatically send the breakfast and lunch menus to the celiac's stateroom so that we have a chance to get what we need. WIth all of the other papers, notices, advertisements, bulletins, etc, it wouldn't be that difficult to do this. I have taken the action of trying to get breakfast and lunch menus delivered to no avail, and it is difficult to show up in the dining room to order for the next day when you are out on a couple of morning shore excursions. I do get the sense that HAL and even Celebrity to cut costs purposely makes it difficult to order for meals, other than dinner.

Sigh, ok I have vented.

I should mention that when hubby and I were on our grand 33 day Hawaii, South Pacific, Marquesas cruise on the Rotterdam that I was soooo spoiled. The Dining Room Manager was Dutch and he was just plain awesome. He knew about my birthday as well as our anniversary and delivered huge gorgeous gf cakes both times. He went above and beyond and I noted that on the survey. Since then, it has been all "meh".

Here in Seattle, I am living well. We have Whole Foods Market with all manner of gf like Bagels, cupcakes, entrees, pizzas, pasta, etc. Restaurants are fabulous too with TWO pizza places that make awesome gf pizzas. Oh, and in Kirkland (if you are ever in the area) there is Sweet Cakes Bakery. They make fabulous gf cakes and cupcakes (white cake with coconut frosting is to die for). Gf Japanese meal can be had a "Village Sushi" in North Seattle.

Ok, HAL, please step up to the plate.....I love you, but I would love you more if you really paid attention to the extra needs of celiacs. I for one, would not mind an extra surcharge for extras so that I don't have to pack those extras in my luggage.:D

The form of items to fill out is misleading. I feel like a pig filling it out because it is more than what anyone I would know would have. But then when you get on the ship there are hardly any of the items.

One advantage to Celebrity is I did not need 90 days notice that I required GF. I ate in Blu, another way of paying more and hoping you get better food quality and it worked. But the deserts were not that great and there were no waffles at all. They served a very nice gluten free bread with dinner. Murano brought a Goat cheese souffle and a chocolate souffle, I was in heaven that night. The Bistro on 5 resturant does offer gluten free crepes. Some are better than others though, I think they need to let the rice recipe set a little longer before cooking. But honestly do not know why some were perfect and others chewy.

HAL has had great GF moments and I am happy about them but you never know when or if they may happen. Our waiter the first night on the Eurodam brought me a fabulous pasta. Elvira in PG had a GF cake made for my birthday, these moments were nice. But unpredictable. there are times the MDR were better at GF meals than PG and there is barely a thing for Tamarand, if I go again I will bring my own GF soy sauce and see what can be done.

If more folks are eating this way, then the system may get an overhaul. I agree, I require something other than banquet food then I will pay extra for it.

Sam, don't let your husband get his hopes up about the beer. I haven't seen it onboard yet. I'm hoping that with the number of passengers requesting gluten free, they will begin to stock one of the gluten-free beers. Maybe Bruce Muzz will check back in and tell us if this is possible.

Either way, it is still a good way to travel. With numbers increasing, 15% of the passengers, we might see things get even better.

We cannot always depend on restaurants here in the US to know how to serve gluten-free either although it is getting better. Programs like the Gluten Free Restaurant Awareness Program are making it easier to dine out.

Celiac wasn't recognized here until about 5 years ago. Doctors were taught it was 1 in 100,000 and they would probably never see a case in practice. Right now we are seeing a great deal of interest in gluten-sensitivity as well as celiac disease.

Hiya,

Husband would probably be speechless if they did have gluten free beer!

Yes hopefully Bruce Muzz will check back in.

Yes i'm sure things will improve even more so as the numbers requesting GF foods increase.

There was a big outcry here recently because a TV chef dismissed Coeliacs and GF cooking as a 'fad' ...Phil Vickery is a well known chef here and he spoke out about the comments made as he promotes Coeliac awareness here and has written some brilliant recipe books using the science behind how gluten in foods works and how to put the 'elasticity' back.

Sam :)

Of course if I could make lots of changes, I would have a long list. I miss the Indonesian dinner (they could use Tamari sauce for gf), afternoon tea, hot canapes before dinner. Even so, I can eat safely and enjoy my cruise and that counts for a lot.

I'm thinking of taking a bottle of Tamari with us , hoping husband can eat in Tamarind.

It would be wonderful if they offered some GF options for the afternoon teas and the canapes. I think we will ask about that as it would be so lovely to be able to have at least 1 afternoon tea as a family :)

First and foremost the ability to cruise with a wheat restriction is fabulous. The fact they will give occasional wheat free normie foods to me is a bonus.

Didn't mean to confuse about the carton, it could be because I take longer cruises that they start using an egg mix poured from a carton for omlettes and scrambled eggs. I have seen it both ways. I stick to over medium to have one less food to worry about. If so many folks are asking for GF, it would be great if a few items in the lido were marked as GF. I have found the staff is just too busy to tour the food items with me and it embarrassing to have to interrupt.

I have not had the luck others have had in the lido, I have even been told not to try to eat in the lido by chefs, unless I wanted the salad.

Pizza crust? I would love that, didn't know it was possible.

I have found there is a certain amount of misinformation that happens about a food and it seems it happens on each cruise, but for the most part, if I limit adventurous requests and stick to what I know

is GF I am fine.

Yes it is defiantely a bonus, we are also staying in Barcelona pre cruise and along the coast post cruise, we are expecting that to be more of a challenge!

No worries about the carton, it is not something i have ever had so just didnt click , not sure we have it over here though we probably do and I have just never seen it.

Yes you can definately order pizza crusts, husband wonders if they are better than the ones we can buy here. Our daughter likes to hand make one every now and then as a treat for her dad :D

Okay, I'll vent but before I do, while not perfect, I still appreciate the fact that HAL makes the effort to offer me a gluten-free diet. I really do not want to be quarenteened because I exhibit "Norwalk" type symptoms. I don't want to spend a port day I've looked forward to onboard because I don't have the energy to get out of bed.

I was a foodie and looked foward to trying new things every day when we cruised. My cooking at home improved because of it. Then came gluten-free. I still cook wonderful meals and bake tasty bread. I may limit the "replacement items" I consume but when I do enjoy them, they are good or even wonderful. Unseasoned, unsauced food do not have a place in my home. Soups are still present and not thickened with flour. (Celebrity uses rice flour) and have a place on my table. Desserts are not limited to creme brulee, ice cream, panna cotta, that gets boring before our 14 days onboard are over.

I miss afternoon tea and high tea, they were special. I've tried making arrangements in advance more times than I wish to recall only to arrive and sit for 30 minutes watching the wonderful treats pass me by and then be given a dry sandwich on rice bread or a cookie from a bag. It is embarrassing to be in this situation.

I miss canapes before dinner in the Ocean bar or the Crow's Nest. I miss enjoying the chocolate buffet. I miss coming back to the ship from a hot day in port and enjoying a beer. I miss the ease of selecting my food. Is the salad dressing gluten-free? How about the soup, how was it thickened? Does that dish contain soy sauce? Is the ice-cream really gluten-free? I want the server to know he shouldn't move the spoons from one item to another when serving.

I want to enjoy the Indonesian meals again - it is possible with tamari. I want to go to the Mariner's luncheon when I board, it took me a long time to earn those 3 stars. I want to leave each cruise knowing it was better than the last and have the desire to achieve 4 star status. I want to taste gluten-free bread pudding, it won't be the same but the memories will be pleasant. I want to enjoy a meal in any venue without ordering my pancakes 24 hours in advance.

I want my husband to not witness a melt down because I am so discouraged with trying to find a safe meal, or because I'm bored with what is offered. I want unpack my luggage and find that it no longer contains good bread that doesn't have to be toasted, homemade cookies, crackers, Lara Bars (with cream cheese for breakfast), pretzels for pre-dinner canapes, gluten-free beer for when I just want to have one.

Will I continue to cruise - for sure! Do I wish for better - you bet! I even wish that one of the major cruise lines would undertake one of the gluten-free food certification programs. I don't think they realize what it would do for their business.

I will continue to ask for foods to be labeled, gluten-free desserts to be offered in all venues offering desserts, gluten-free beer onbroard and whatever else I think will make our cruise experience more fulfilling and keep us coming back.

Arwen, we will soon embark on our ninth HAL cruise and will be leaving from Seattle. Your area is a mecca for gluten-free and you are lucky to have so many options available. We traveled your coastline for two weeks a couple of years ago and were amazed at the offerings.

My experiences have been sporadic with desserts but I'm expecting a gluten-free anniversary cake on this cruise. I've learned that not every ship handles this in the same way. With so many new, wonderful products, recipes and mixes available, do you wonder why they don't update their offerings?

I don't believe the breakfast menu changes from day to day. It is often frustrating to circle the Lido restaurant 2 or 3 times looking for someone to ask a question. I'm sure people wish I would exercise on the promenade deck not in the restaurant.

A surcharge wouldn't be a bad thing but I think we already pay that when we go to the alternate venues.

Your 33 day trip sounds wonderful, to date, our max has been 15 days. We do prefer 14 days to 7.

hulumoon, do you think that those who did not pre-order are enjoying what you ordered? I'm sure they don't check who ordered what when filling orders. It is also possible that HAL underorders since they know we won't eat everything we request. Don't know that their is an easy solution here. I wonder if the vendors can even fill orders for such a great increase in gf requests as they experienced this month.

We really enjoyed Bistro on 5 on our Celebrity cruise in February but Blu was not available on the Constellation. I was more than happy to pay the surcharge for something different. They did make me a dark chocolate, Grand Mariner souffle in Ocean Liners. They would even bring me gf toast if I requested it at the Captain's Club breakfast lounge. Celebrity did not offer any gf baked item other than bread. No cookies, pancakes, muffins, etc. Desserts were milk based - not good for those who are also lactose intolerant. I only gained 1 pound (14 days) and that was good.

[Arwen, we will soon embark on our ninth HAL cruise and will be leaving from Seattle. Your area is a mecca for gluten-free and you are lucky to have so many options available. We traveled your coastline for two weeks a couple of years ago and were amazed at the offerings.]

"I certainly am happy to living here because it is a Mecca. Anyone gluten intolerant coming to visit Seattle will have a wonderful time! Have you been to PF Chang's in Bellevue? Great gf Chinese Food."

[My experiences have been sporadic with desserts but I'm expecting a gluten-free anniversary cake on this cruise. I've learned that not every ship handles this in the same way. With so many new, wonderful products, recipes and mixes available, do you wonder why they don't update their offerings?]

"Yes, they should update, long overdue, but HAL (nor Celebrity) has made it a priority (hmmm, I should write a nice letter to Special Services, headquarters here in Seattle)"

"Cruising has become very affordable but that is because HAL and Celebrity and other middle market lines have had to cut back in some areas. The food is still good but not nearly as good 6 years ago when we first started cruising. The sad fact is that Gluten Free stuff is really quite a bit more expensive than wheat stuff or any other processed foods. I haven't had gluten free cookie provided on a cruise (though I order it on the form) since our trip to Alaska. I don't think HAL even carries gluten free cookies any longer though it is still offered on their form. They really do need to redo the form or just dump it."

"I do hope you get your anniversary cake! Certainly put in your request. My own observation is that the best hotel managers and the best Dining Room Managers, Chefs, etc. likely end up on the more expensive and lengthy cruises? At least my experience has been with the less expensive cruises like the Caribbean (we have done three) that the food was just "meh"and the desserts so so. I did manage to score a wonderful flourless chocolate cake at least twice on the fourteen day cruise."

"I think that HAL and even Celebrity do not realize the potential of reaching a really loyal market if they could offer better gluten free offerings and make breakfast and lunch ordering easier. They really need someone in charge to overhaul they way they manage the gluten free protocol. It is a mixed bag most of the time. Holland America is headquartered here in Seattle and so is GIG (Gluten Intolerance Group of America). HAL could really use their guidance, (IMHO) as they would be more than happy to work with HAL (as they have worked with restaurants across the country and food companies)."

"Gluten free products are expensive and that is why I mentioned not minding an extra charge for the goodies. The cake mixes, cookies, etc cost them more then for them to bring us a dish of ice cream or whip up some creme brulee. I always haul my own cookies, nuts, cereals, and really, it would be so nice to not have to."

[i don't believe the breakfast menu changes from day to day. It is often frustrating to circle the Lido restaurant 2 or 3 times looking for someone to ask a question. I'm sure people wish I would exercise on the promenade deck not in the restaurant. ]

"Yes, maybe some day we will bump into each other as we do our "laps in the Lido", LOL :p I end up with the same breakfast every morning in the Lido, too....usually omelet and fruit or my own cereal with milk and a fried egg and fruit and cheese. We are really limited at breakfast. The Lido is a gluten minefield. I like eating breakfast or even lunch in the MDR, but that isn't always possible when you have a shore excursion scheduled. I would love to have gf pancakes some mornings or some decent muffins (the ones they do have are terrible)."

"You cannot trust the Lido if you are really sensitive. I have seen where tongs to pick up toast is used to pick up sausage and where toast has been put on the grill with scrambled eggs, sigh. However, I do feel that the omelet station is safe since there are no wheat products in sight. The omelets are really good!"

"Oh, and I never have asked anyone in the Lido for help, because, well it is always too busy and crazy."

[A surcharge wouldn't be a bad thing but I think we already pay that when we go to the alternate venues.]

"I agree that we pay like everyone else for the alternate venues, but even they aren't that well equipped to do something really special gluten free (IMHO). We ate in the Tamarind (alternative elegant free meal venue) and notified them 24 hours before. I had a wonderful "gf dinner". However, the second time we ate there, my fried rice crisps looked different from the first time. I believe I got the wheat/rice ones the first time around. I am not a sensitive celiac, but it would have been terrible for someone who was! Also, the Tamarind does not have Tamari sauce which would have allowed for more choices. Your very limited in a Japanese Restaurant when you leave out soy sauce. Next time I will bring my own bottle."

"Having a really deluxe goodie basket waiting in my room with say.. different teas, special cookies (that I could take to High Tea) would be really special".

[Your 33 day trip sounds wonderful, to date, our max has been 15 days. We do prefer 14 days to 7.

]

"I agree about the 7 days. We did two of those and after that it has been 11, 14, and 33 day cruises. We have one coming up that will be for 24 days. Hope your next cruise is wonderful and truly a gluten free delight" :D

Arwen, our next HAL cruise will be the 14 day Alaska on the Amsterdam. I'm hoping for good things. I've planned to run by Whole Foods and pick up a couple of things rather than fly with anything extra in my luggage.

I've recommended the GIG program to both HAL and Celebrity every time I turn in my end of cruise evaluation. When you have a loyal gluten-free customer, you also gain their friends and family as you and I both know. I'm very familiar with GIG, that is the reason we were in Seattle two years ago. I will be in Orlando in July.

My breakfast is similiar. On our last HAL cruise we were in a deluxe suite and had access to the concierge lounge where they have a regular toaster. For some reason I had my toaster bags with me and Udi's bagels. Toast in the am, what a treat! I carry granola to mix with yogurt and have eggs about two times a week. I'm thinking the hot water may be hot enough to fix Gluten Freeda Instant Oatmeal.

My sensitivity varies so I don't like to take a lot of chances. I pay to much for my trip to be careless. That said, we prefer to enjoy our meals in the Lido and although limited, it really fits our needs.

Two years from now, I think we will look back and realize that things have indeed changed for the better. I hope I get to meet some of those 300 gluten-free people on this cruise. Looking forward to meeting you on my Lido stroll someday.

Arwen, we will soon embark on our ninth HAL cruise and will be leaving from Seattle. Your area is a mecca for gluten-free and you are lucky to have so many options available. We traveled your coastline for two weeks a couple of years ago and were amazed at the offerings.

My experiences have been sporadic with desserts but I'm expecting a gluten-free anniversary cake on this cruise. I've learned that not every ship handles this in the same way. With so many new, wonderful products, recipes and mixes available, do you wonder why they don't update their offerings?

I was going to say the same thing, Seattle certainly seems to be on the ball regarding GF food. I wish it were that good here, my husband would be delighted with such a wide choice.

Maybe we will have to move to Seattle! :D

We have two celebrations during our cruise, our wedding anniversary and we are also celebrating my husbands 30 year employment long service award.

I hope for at least our wedding anniversary we will get a gluten free cake.

My TA has noted our anniversary on the booking. Is a cake automatic or do we need to order and pay for one specifically?

I'm loving all the information and tips my original question has prompted from all of you .

Everyone's help, tips and advice is invaluable and much appreciated.

Many thanks

This is only my experience so take it for what it is worth. Do not hope for gluten free cakes! you have to manage that by reminding people what you expect from the day you board.

When I didn't feel like managing my vacation that way and just reminding once or twice it did not come but when I did remind, remind, remind I got something. Except when I got creme brulee over and over again on another line.

BTY the dates were listed by my TA every time.

Arwen, our next HAL cruise will be the 14 day Alaska on the Amsterdam. I'm hoping for good things. I've planned to run by Whole Foods and pick up a couple of things rather than fly with anything extra in my luggage.

I just returned from the 14 day AK cruise on the Amsterdam. One of our tablemates required a gluten-free and dairy-free diet. She also could not eat potatoes. Her choices were very limited. She brought rice bread and gluten-free cereal on the ship with her. I don't know if she pre-ordered gluten-free items before the cruise. She didn't mention doing that. She would order her dinner for the next night at dinner but really had to work to find things that met her needs. They did bring what she ordered the next night and never brought anything that she could no eat. One big problem was that most of the sorbet was really sherbet and contained milk. When the waiter checked they vowed that it was dairy-free. But it wasn't. Most nights she could not find anything that she could eat for dessert. Is it any wonder that she was very slim and trim?

Fortunately I only have to avoid gluten and crab so can work around many menu items. I can usually find something to meet my needs.

Do you know if dinner was available on the Lido deck the night of the Master Chef dinner or on a daily basis?

Fortunately I only have to avoid gluten and crab so can work around many menu items. I can usually find something to meet my needs.

Do you know if dinner was available on the Lido deck the night of the Master Chef dinner or on a daily basis?

Yes, dinner was available on the Lido every night, however we never ate dinner there.

Hi all,

I just wanted to say a big thank you to you all for sharing all your tips, information and personal experiences, all of which have been invaluable to us.

I do have another question that I wonder if you would be so kind as to give your thoughts and opinions on.

We will have two celebrations during our cruise one being our wedding anniversary and I am debating where we should eat that evening.

Where would you recommend and do you think the Le Cirque dinner or the special master chef dinner (not the final night in mdr - I get slightly confused over what each is called!) - the one where you have wine themed to the meal and it is restricted in numbers - would be possible to partcipate in or would the gluten free option deter from some of the enjoyment? (Hope that makes sense!)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Hiya all again,

Just an extra question.

Our TA faxed the GF request order form off for us.

I wondered, do we get any form of confirmation from HAL that this has been noted on our booking?

Many thanks,

No, I do not usually receive confirmation but I do carry a copy of the form I faxed and the date of the fax.

Hi there,

Thank-you , I will ask my agent to give me the form and fax receipt before we travel then.

Thanks for the advice.

They are wonderful in the Main Dining room!

We prefer traditional dining with the same wait staff every night.

They get to know your likes and such and have have everything all set for you when you arrive to dinner each night, along with getting to know our table mates.

Each evening they advised us of what would work for me for the next day and I choose from there, besides suggestions for breakfast and lunch.

Canadian baccon was not always on the normal menu but they always seemed to find it for me at breakfast even if i did not order it the night before.

On our last HAL Alaskan Cruise I was thrilled to have Salmon, which was on the regular menue & just happened to be prepared in a different gluten free manner every night! It was the Best! my fav was the Mango Salmon

Archived