Wedding coordinator vs travel agent?

I was just wondering how many ppl have used an outside coordinator such as a wedding for you for their on board cruise wedding? We are considering a Carnival cruise wedding and want to be married on embarkation day @ nyc port. I know carnival gives you their coordinator but i would really love some assistance with the planning, save the dates, invitations, favors, group traveling and special requests and I have read that there isnt too much contact in the beginning with the coordinator. Is it worth it to hire an outside coordinator or just best to work with a travel agent and the coordinator the ship provides???

I am sure someone from Carnival will have more details for you, but you don't have much of a choice in who helps you if you're getting married on the ship.

All cruise lines only allow designated independent coordinators to coordinate your wedding, such as The Wedding Experience. To be honest, there is not very much to do. You're not going to get a massive amount of choices like a local wedding would require. You have no say in your photographer, videographer, DJ, etc. I didn't get any choice in food, not sure if that rings true for all cruise ships.

The only thing I really needed to take care of were flowers (I got silk since they couldn't promise me hydrangeas), invitations, STDs, favors (we ended up making a donation in lieu of favors), dresses, and any pre-cruise/wedding stuff. If you plan the wedding well ahead (I was planning 13 months prior to our wedding date) I found it fairly easily.

The coordinators answer all of your questions and gives you a run down of any decisions you'll need to make. It was relatively painless, the only problems I had were the coordinators don't always know what is available and give you the wrong information.

We are using a travel agent. I searched and searched and finally came across someone with a good point. ....the travel agent can handle all of the questions and concerns instead of us. Besides, we don't pay her, the cruise line does.

I see you are thinking about a cruise from NYC....we are doing one also. When is yours?

We have a travel agent and the wedding coordinators contracted for with Carnival and the Carnival wedding department. Hoenstly having more people "help" has been more work for me. I am having to coordinate with 3 different entities instead of one. I think if you use a travel agent, make sure she or he understands what you expect up front and in very clear terms. Also, make sure the TA knows to run certain issues by you before answering certain questions. Dor example, we had a guest ask the TA whether they could wait and get dressed on the ship the day of the wedding (embarkation day). My TA told them it shouldn't be a problem because there is sure to be a cabin available. While true, my TA effectively offered my cabin that I need to get ready in to my guests. Akward. I fixed it, but it was a little dicey trying not to offend anyone.

I hope your planning goes well. Congratulations!!!

Archived