Zaandam Handicap Balcony????

Debi_D

We have the opportunity to book cabin 7088 which is a handicap cabin. It is an "A" Category and it is on the Navigation Deck, the last cabin on the port side. Has anybody stayed in one of these cabins before and what were the pros and cons....

Deb

Handicapped-accessible rooms are designed with more space to accommodate the needs of a person in a wheelchair.

The bathrooms are bigger so a person with a wheelchair can get in and maneuver.

There are usually roll-in showers, no bath tubs.

There are grab bars in the shower, and a built-in shower seat. A higher toilet, and grab bars adjacent.

Closets that are accessible.

The doors are wider to the cabin & bathroom. There is a ramp [i believe it is portable] for accessing the balcony.

The bed is lower. The new, upgraded "pillow-top" mattresses that HAL has switched to are not in the HC cabins, as such a high bed would pose problems for a person with mobility issues.

HC cabins, according to HAL, are not available to the general public, although as it gets closer to the sailing date, they could be released.

Generally, they are hard to come by for those of us who need them, and many people with handicaps are forced to book way in advance to ensure there is a room available.

Some TAs insist that able-bodied pax can book the HC rooms, but will be moved if an HC person needs the room.

However, my research indicates that is not the case.

Thanks Oceanwench - this is the case. The sailing date is Apr. 2, 2005 and they have told us we could be moved to another cabin which I do not mind if someone else needed it. I just like where the cabin is, it looks as if the deck is a tad longer.

Deb

I've not sailed on the Zaandam, and I am not familiar with the deck plans.

I know on the Zuiderdam and the Oosterdam, we had balcony cabins and the balcony was the same size as the balconies of the other verandah cabins.

If the Zaandam has already had the upgrading of its mattresses, you might want to consider a non-HC room.

From what everyone has posted, the pillowtops are heavenly!

The mattress in our cabin on the Oosterdam was anything but ... :( !!!

But it's an accommodation DH needs, so what can I say? I am grateful we are able to cruise and find such accessible ships as HAL offers.

Debi: I just searched and read that the Zaandam has already undergone its "Signature of Excellence" upgrade. So you may not want to be sleeping in a room without a new pillowtop mattress!

I've not sailed on the Zaandam, and I am not familiar with the deck plans.

I know on the Zuiderdam and the Oosterdam, we had balcony cabins and the balcony was the same size as the balconies of the other verandah cabins.

If the Zaandam has already had the upgrading of its mattresses, you might want to consider a non-HC room.

From what everyone has posted, the pillowtops are heavenly!

The mattress in our cabin on the Oosterdam was anything but ... :( !!!

But it's an accommodation DH needs, so what can I say? I am grateful we are able to cruise and find such accessible ships as HAL offers.

Debi: I just searched and read that the Zaandam has already undergone its "Signature of Excellence" upgrade. So you may not want to be sleeping in a room without a new pillowtop mattress!

Oceanwench, when did you sail the O'dam? HAL says all cabins including the handicap's have upgraded mattress...are you saying not so?

Thanks for info everyone, as we are scheduled to be in 7088 for the cruise departing 3/26. I was excited to see what appears to be a larger room and balcony, but now am dissapointed about not having the pillow top matresses... We did not request this cabin, but were assigned on a guarantee. I am wondering now if I should request another? Could be mute point in nothing else available.

Mark

I sailed on the Oosterdam last year, 10/31 sailing.

Heather in Florida was on the sailing before mine, and she and others posted about the pillowtop beds.

She mentioned that she is 5'6 and had to give a little "hop" to get into the bed, it was so high.

DH and I were in an HC verandah room the very next week. The bed was very low. I am 5'1 and did not have to "hop" to get into the bed.

DH, due to his mobility problems, would not have been able to get into a high bed.

He had no problems getting into bed -- and I did not have a wonderful night's sleep the whole cruise.

DH tells me the ADA has guidelines as to the height of beds in an HC room.

The HC may have had a new mattress, but it was not one of the high pillowtops that everyone was praising!

• 2 weeks later...

We are just back from the 3/26 sailing of the Zaandam and stayed in the 7088 handicap balcony room. Doors are wider than standard including bathroom door. Matress appears to be new pillow top type, very comfortable. Veranda was a little larger than standard, not a lot. Probably have to take a chair off the balcony to get a wheel chair out there. We are not handicap and were assigned this room on an open reservation.

Archived