FLL-Breakfast-Soda Purchase-Port help?

saus

Can someone help with the best options for bringing a group of 9 from FLL to breakfast, soda shopping, then on to the port?

I've never been to Ft. Lauderdale. I've never cruised either, but I'm looking forward to a week on the Allure in July.

I have searched this board for recommendations, and have found pieces of information that help, but no itinerary that really lays it all out for me. I'm hoping someone here knows the area between FLL and the port well and could offer some advice.

We arrive at 7:15 a.m. at FLL. We will then grab our bags. Since the terminal for Allure doesn't open until 10 and boarding starts no earlier than 11, we have some time to kill.

We will be hungry. Using yelp, it appears that the best options for breakfast near the airport/port are Lester's Diner or a Cuban restaurant named El Tamarindo. Both places are on State Road 84, just North of the airport. Can anyone recommend either of these places or another good option between FLL and the port?

After breakfast we would like to stop by a store where we can buy a case or two of soda/juice for our week on the ship. Is there spot near the port that is the go-to place for these types of purchases?

Finally, since there are nine people in the group, we will likely need 2 or 3 taxis for each stop. Are FLL taxis reliable when it comes to calling for a cab?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Figuring out a plan in advance will save my group a lot of stress and hassle.

Lesters is a good and large breakfast place but I can't think of a store right by there. There is a Winn-Dixie about a mile west. There is a Denny's on U.S. 1 at the corner of SE 17th St., on the way to the north port entrance. There is a CVS across the street where you can buy soda, etc. This would only require one stop after dropping off luggage. When you are finished someone can call Yellow Cab for pickup. I usually get to the port between 11 or 12 so I have no idea how early the porters accept bags. With all of the stops and pickups it could run around $50 plus tip per cab. You could just pack breakfast bars in the carry-ons and send a couple of people in a cab to a store for everybody's soda and everybody else could go straight to the port for under $20/cab. I think RCCL serve cookies and water at the terminal.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'm disappointed to learn that it's unwise to drop off the bags around 8. But if it's not done, it's not done.

I don't think it makes sense for my group to unload the luggage at a restaurant and then reload in a new taxi after eating. Just too much hassle for too many in my group.

We will probably take royalcruz's suggestion and just send one or two people to get soda/juice.

But what do we do when we get to the port at 8? Not give our bags to the porters? Until when?

Hopefully someone here can help you with what time the porters start accepting bags at the port, and what time the terminal opens so you can sit down inside. Until then, you could always hang out on the 2nd level of the airport where there are seats.

Understand that there is nothing between the airport property and the south entrance to Port Everglades other than off-airport property rental car locations and parking lots. If you want to find anything such as you're asking for you would have to get away from the airport/port completely or go from the south end around the port to the north port entrance. If you take a taxi straight from the airport to the south port entrance then it is only $12-$15 per taxi. If you take a taxi from the airport to the north port entrance (17th Street) It's going to cost about $20-$25 per taxi to get there, drop you and your luggage off and then another $12-$15 per taxi to get to the port.

Unless you rent a couple or large cars/SUVs/vans then your only other solution would be to call Larry's Limos to charter a minibus and driver for about 4 hours.

http://www.larryslimo.com/

You say your flight arrives at 7:15. That's IF there's no delays ( i don't know what airline you're flying). And then you have to get your bags. Then get everyone gathered up. Then get a cab.... So I really don't think you'd be able to make it to the port by 8:00 anyways.

I would follow previous posters advice. Pack some breakfast bars or some twinkies or something in the carry on. Something to tide you over. Then send a few people to the store. You might also look at shared rides. With 9 people it might be cheaper to look into a shuttle service that offers vans or limos. Just did a quote and looks like you could get a private van for all of you for ~ $80. And maybe for a little more the driver would be willing to just stop at a store for you to get your soda, pending you don't take an insane amount of time to shop.:)

But just my idea.

Great ideas all around. Thank you, everyone, for the thoughtful recommendations and suggestions.

I have learned on another thread that the porters don't start accepting bags from arriving passengers until 10 a.m. And people are not fond of the concessions at FLL.

At this point I'm debating between hiring a service (such as TGP) to take us in a van around Ft. Lauderdale (breakfast, shopping, maybe a drive down Las Olas), renting a van for the morning (then getting a free shuttle from the rental agency back to the port), or taking a shuttle to a hotel, eating and shopping there (or nearby) and then taking a shuttle or cabs to the pot at 10:30.

I don't know if you can change your flights without penalties, but you're taking a bit of a risk by arriving the day of the cruise unless you're flying from somewhere in the Southeast. If you came in a day early it would pretty much solve your luggage and transportation problem. The money you would have spent on breakfast and tranportation would instead be spent on the hotel and you would have a lot more time to enjoy Ft Lauderdale.

Personally...I would arrive a day early, enjoy breakfast and a leisurely morning at the hotel, get a late check-out and not arrive at the port until after 2:00 PM.

I don't know if you can change your flights without penalties, but you're taking a bit of a risk by arriving the day of the cruise unless you're flying from somewhere in the Southeast. If you came in a day early it would pretty much solve your luggage and transportation problem. The money you would have spent on breakfast and tranportation would instead be spent on the hotel and you would have a lot more time to enjoy Ft Lauderdale.

Personally...I would arrive a day early, enjoy breakfast and a leisurely morning at the hotel, get a late check-out and not arrive at the port until after 2:00 PM.

We are coming in from California on a red-eye. Yeah, if our flight gets canceled, we're screwed, but there's a lot of time between 7:15 and 4 pm, so if the plane is merely a few hours late, hey, all of my problems are solved.

Since there are nine of us and there are change fees for all nine, changing flights now is cost-prohibitive. We'll have a full day in Ft. Lauderdale on the back end of our trip, so we plan on doing some sightseeing then.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Saus - Decisions, decisions. Planning is tough but can be fun at the same time. Here are some thoughts on what you wrote. You will need at least 2 minivans. You may be able to find a 12 passenger van but I don't believe any of the airport locations offer a 15 passenger van. Just keep in mind that the luggage space for all vans is very small and you may need to use the back seats. Also keep in mind the cabs / transfers needed to get to the port. Finally, by the time you rent the vans, load them up, and get on your way, it will almost be time to return them. Perhaps seeing if the Embassy Suites has a day rate would be an idea. They serve a great buffet breakfast there. But getting to the hotel and then to the port is not free and I will guess will cost about $15 to $20 per cab for each ride. Also, besides a few shops, there is not much in walking distance of the hotel. As I have mentioned before, from experience, TGP would be the way to go. But that is my thought. Once again, have a great cruise and I hope everything works out for you!

Hey...Getting a day room is a pretty good idea!

I would suggest somewhere like SpringHill Suites, though, where they have both a free airport shuttle, free port shuttle and breakfast.

Get one room for all 9 people (I would keep the total number on the downlow, spread out and not come in as a group, though), but guarantee the room for the night before so you would be assured a room immediately upon arrival. Breakfast will be ongoing when you arrive, so part of your group could eat while the other half could freshen up, power-nap or shower or just change clothes and then rotate.

Right across Stirling Road is Oakwood Plaza Mall where you will find a K-Mart within a 5-7 minute walk from the hotel.

Hey...Getting a day room is a pretty good idea!

I would suggest somewhere like SpringHill Suites, though, where they have both a free airport shuttle, free port shuttle and breakfast.

Get one room for all 9 people (I would keep the total number on the downlow, spread out and not come in as a group, though), but guarantee the room for the night before so you would be assured a room immediately upon arrival. Breakfast will be ongoing when you arrive, so part of your group could eat while the other half could freshen up, power-nap or shower or just change clothes and then rotate.

Right across Stirling Road is Oakwood Plaza Mall where you will find a K-Mart within a 5-7 minute walk from the hotel.

Loved the idea of Springhill Suites, but they don't have any rooms available on the 16th!:( Any other comparable hotels that offer such perks?

National offers a 15 person van for $124. That's looking like the best option at this point...

Loved the idea of Springhill Suites, but they don't have any rooms available on the 16th!:( Any other comparable hotels that offer such perks?

National offers a 15 person van for $124. That's looking like the best option at this point...

A room will probably open up so keep checking. When you make your reservation make sure you put in the remarks that you will not arrive until approximately 8:00 AM on the 17th. A call to the front desk the night before to remind them you won't be in until first thing in the morning would be a good idea so they don't sell the room to some random walk-in at 2:00 AM because they think you aren't going to show.

Otherwise...The Hyatt Summerfield Suites and Hyatt Place South is right behind the SpringHill Suites, but they don't have a free port shuttle. They can arrange a port shuttle with Avanti for $8 per person, but with 9 people that can add up (or they may question the size of your group in the room), so you might consider renting one car and doing your own shuttles or call Avanti direct and arrange your own van for the group. Also, the 1 and 2 bedroom suites at Summerfield Suites have 2 full baths plus a full kitchen, so there would be extra room for your group.

I called the Summerfield Suites and they do have a few suites left at this time, but they will fill pretty soon. Go ahead and reserve a studio (1 bathroom) or 1 bedroom (2 bathrooms) now because you can always cancel it later if you decide to go with SpringHill Suites.

A room will probably open up so keep checking. When you make your reservation make sure you put in the remarks that you will not arrive until approximately 8:00 AM on the 17th. A call to the front desk the night before to remind them you won't be in until first thing in the morning would be a good idea so they don't sell the room to some random walk-in at 2:00 AM because they think you aren't going to show.

Otherwise...The Hyatt Summerfield Suites and Hyatt Place South is right behind the SpringHill Suites, but they don't have a free port shuttle. They can arrange a port shuttle with Avanti for $8 per person, but with 9 people that can add up (or they may question the size of your group in the room), so you might consider renting one car and doing your own shuttles or call Avanti direct and arrange your own van for the group. Also, the 1 and 2 bedroom suites at Summerfield Suites have 2 full baths plus a full kitchen, so there would be extra room for your group.

I called the Summerfield Suites and they do have a few suites left at this time, but they will fill pretty soon. Go ahead and reserve a studio (1 bathroom) or 1 bedroom (2 bathrooms) now because you can always cancel it later if you decide to go with SpringHill Suites.

Thank you for not only taking the time to post such thoughtful suggestions but also to actually call around and check on availability.

With the likelihood that we won't leave the airport before 8 and we wish to be at the port by 10:30, the cost/benefit of getting a day room just doesn't add up if all the transportation isn't included. Between the stress of not knowing if all 9 people will be allowed in the room, or at the free breakfast, to the cost of the room plus transportation, I don't think it's the best option at this point.

But I will keep checking with Springhill Suites, as that option has the transportation included (but again, makes my stomach churn thinking about having to explain the large number of people in my party to the shuttle drivers).

I think I'm going to go with the 15 person van. My main goal now is finding the best spot in Ft. Lauderdale for a really memorable breakfast.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Thank you for not only taking the time to post such thoughtful suggestions but also to actually call around and check on availability.

With the likelihood that we won't leave the airport before 8 and we wish to be at the port by 10:30, the cost/benefit of getting a day room just doesn't add up if all the transportation isn't included. Between the stress of not knowing if all 9 people will be allowed in the room, or at the free breakfast, to the cost of the room plus transportation, I don't think it's the best option at this point.

But I will keep checking with Springhill Suites, as that option has the transportation included (but again, makes my stomach churn thinking about having to explain the large number of people in my party to the shuttle or drivers).

I think I'm going to go with the 15 person van. My main goal now is finding the best spot in Ft. Lauderdale for a really memorable breakfast.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

I just checked Marriott's web site and got a AAA rate of $87 (plus tax) per night with 4 people per room for Saturday nights in June, so maybe some availability will come up for July. By the time you pay for the van, taxes, fees, gas and breakfast it may be as much as two rooms at SpringHill.

Again, I would encourage you to not even show up at the port until 2:00 PM so you can rest up, relax, get organized and get your supplies.

If you want to eat breakfast like the locals, the Floridian on Las Olas Blvd is a good choice, as is Lester's Diner. You could also eat waterfront at Bahia Cabana or H2O but I don't think it's a good idea to leave your van full of luggage unattended at the beach area. Marriott Harbor Beach does a brunch on Sundays.

If you want to eat breakfast like the locals, the Floridian on Las Olas Blvd is a good choice, as is Lester's Diner. You could also eat waterfront at Bahia Cabana or H2O but I don't think it's a good idea to leave your van full of luggage unattended at the beach area. Marriott Harbor Beach does a brunch on Sundays.

I don't think it's the quality of breakfast or the location they're really looking for, just some place to eat while they kill time waiting to embark. They arrive on a red-eye flight from the West Coast at 7:15 AM on the morning of the cruise. We know that is a very bad idea to begin with, but it is what it is.

I'm beginning to think it might be a better idea to go to the port, sit, wait and do without soda because it's going to cost them $150-$200. That's some costly Diet Coke in my opinion.

I don't think it's the quality of breakfast or the location they're really looking for, just some place to eat while they kill time waiting to embark. They arrive on a red-eye flight from the West Coast at 7:15 AM on the morning of the cruise. We know that is a very bad idea to begin with, but it is what it is.

I'm beginning to think it might be a better idea to go to the port, sit, wait and do without soda because it's going to cost them $150-$200. That's some costly Diet Coke in my opinion.

The last thing the OP said was "I think I'm going to go with the 15 person van. My main goal now is finding the best spot in Ft. Lauderdale for a really memorable breakfast." That's why I gave some additional breakfast restaurant suggestions, though I'm not sure what they meant by memorable. Personally, I would just relax at the airport for a while, since there are seats indoors, then go to the port and send a couple people shopping for sodas. In fact, RCCL no longer allows passengers to bring soda on board, so they might not be able to bring it anyway!

Archived