Norwegian Fjords - Northern or Southern?

KatWag

My MIL is 84 and it is getting harder for her to travel. She wants to do one last big trip and wants to see the Norwegian Fjords. We think she would enjoy HAL. Going to treat her to a suite and we want the trip to be very special.

We are debating between Eurodam Northern, rotterdam Northern, Rotterdam Southern, Ryndam Southern.

Any ideas of best direction or best ship? I am really at a loss. We have only been on Veendam.

Thanks!

Kathy

I haven't been on the other ships only the Eurodam. It is a very easy ship to get around and the staff are very friendly, as are all Hal staff.

We are doing the North Sea adventure cruise this summer and it stops in Norway. From what I understand the scenery is beautiful even from the ship.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise and the time spent with your MIL.

Helen

I've only been on the southern fjords in Norway. And not even on a cruise ship, but on a ferry. Norway is the most beautiful place in the entire world (spent a summer studying there and another month a few years later as well). Not sure you can go wrong in Norway :)

if any of those go into geirangerfjord, pick that one. said to the most beautiful fjord in norway. after seeing it, i believe them.

I second this recommendation. It's probably the most beautiful natural place I've seen, with Yosemite Valley a close second. I thought the Norwegian scenery was even better than Alaska. Its a long sail up the fjords, so even if your MIL doesn't feel up to going ashore, just sitting on deck and gazing at the scenery would be worth the trip.

I am also taking my 85 year old mother on the North Sea Adventure trip that Helen is on - she has always wanted to see the fjords as well. We will see several fjords, but not the Geiranger fjord. It is within driving distance of Bergen, but it might be a tight squeeze getting back to the ship before it departs. Anyway, our cruise is VERY reasonably priced and a definite bargain for Northern Europe cruises. Assure your MIL that she won't be the oldest one on board - if my mom can do it, so can she!

I am also taking my 85 year old mother on the North Sea Adventure trip that Helen is on - she has always wanted to see the fjords as well. We will see several fjords, but not the Geiranger fjord. It is within driving distance of Bergen, but it might be a tight squeeze getting back to the ship before it departs. Anyway, our cruise is VERY reasonably priced and a definite bargain for Northern Europe cruises. Assure your MIL that she won't be the oldest one on board - if my mom can do it, so can she!

i just mapquest'd it - 5.5 hour drive (and ferry) each way. i'm sure it would be a beautiful drive, but not for a day trip. you can see geiranger next time.

Archived