Taxi to Tropicante

unionville3

Anyone recently took a taxi to Tropicante? We would rather take a taxi instead of the bus. Looking for details of the location of the taxi. We tried this on previous cruise several years ago and the taxi's would not stop to pick us up outside the port area. Is there a designated location?

The above post is correct. We were just there last week. We had detailed instructions from Steve on an email after I reserved chairs with him. Behind the cruise complex is a gate and road that leads to several stores, Senor Frogs, Hard Rock Cafe etc that are "outside" the walls of the complex. You just walk out and you can't miss the taxi's lined up to take you to Mahaual or wherever you want to go. They are cars instead of the buses that are inside the port area. The cost was $2 per person and they dropped us off right in front of Tropicante. It was a wonderful day! We were well taken care of and everything was wonderful.

This was my first trip back since Jan. 2007 before the hurricane. I was pleasantly surprised at the progress. Snorkeling was even very good. The Hard Rock Cafe is brand new and not even open yet as a restaurant. They just have the t-shirt and souvenir store open. It looks very nice and Mahahual is a little bit upgraded since my last trip, but still has charm. We very much enjoyed our day there. Hope you have a great trip!

The above post is correct. We were just there last week. We had detailed instructions from Steve on an email after I reserved chairs with him. Behind the cruise complex is a gate and road that leads to several stores, Senor Frogs, Hard Rock Cafe etc that are "outside" the walls of the complex. You just walk out and you can't miss the taxi's lined up to take you to Mahaual or wherever you want to go. They are cars instead of the buses that are inside the port area. The cost was $2 per person and they dropped us off right in front of Tropicante. It was a wonderful day! We were well taken care of and everything was wonderful.

Could you tell me a little bit more about Tropicante? What kind of chairs did you reserve? did you have an umbrella? was it crowded? music? I know there are several places on this stretch of beach but I do not know which one to choose. Bananarama is where the cruise ship excursion goes I think. I was looking at Tropicante and Pez Quadro-thanks

Could you tell me a little bit more about Tropicante? What kind of chairs did you reserve? did you have an umbrella? was it crowded? music? I know there are several places on this stretch of beach but I do not know which one to choose. Bananarama is where the cruise ship excursion goes I think. I was looking at Tropicante and Pez Quadro-thanks

Cruise ship docks at the Costa Maya Pier, Bananarama is on Roatan Island.:) We went to Palpas and had a good time, so many places to choose. Best to just walk the beach and pick a spot to your liken. :D

Plan on going there in Oct. You can email Steve, the owner, at the address below, he quick in responding to any questions. Below is the email I received from him yesterday regarding taxis etc.

email: steveuhl@sandalsandskis.com

Hola Anthony,

So glad to hear you'll be returning to Costa Maya/Mahahual. We are actually very close to Tapas about 2 doors to the north or in the direction of the port. We reserve loungers complimentary in advance for our guests and we usually fill those 2-4 weeks prior. The government regulates the number of seats and tables we can use on their concession and as a foreigner, I have to go by all the rules because they actually enforce them on me. It's Mexico! We also have tables on the beach, both sun and under a palapa. We have clean bathrooms with large privacy stalls that work fine for changing but no showers at this time. I'm working on that and might have them by October though. Water is a big issue here so getting the extra service line required for showers is technically impossible. Some have of course, again it is Mexico, but this Gringo can't. I'm looking at doing a roof rain collection set-up that will allow me to use rainwater for showers. Keep your fingers crossed!

Regarding lockers, we do not have any but I do store bags behind our bar where only I and one other person have access. We have not had an incident so far though. Our waiters are on the beach at all times and I have a full time concierge as well who is also out there all day to make sure you get help with activities or finding anything you need. All are top shelf and you'll see that quickly when you arrive. The Tropicante is one of the best places in town to work and I have been fortunate enough to be able to get quality people as a result. It is a small town and everyone knows everyone and we don't have that many bad guys here no matter. The few that we have stay away from our place. They are afraid of my girlfriend! She is one tough Mexican gal!!

Take a look at my site, http://www.sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

there are photos, menu and lots of info on activities and such. Let me know if you have other questions or want me to hold you some loungers. I'll confirm, answer other questions and I'll also send you my cut and paste instructions on how to find us, even though I know you've been here. I usually tell people to actually leave the port and take an outside taxi. Inside "taxis" are really shuttles that drop you at their friends place and charge $3. Outside taxis will charge you $2 and drop you right here. Let me know and I'll get you set. Cheers!

Steve Uhl

US 719-387-8115 (US call that rings in Mexico)

Archived