NEW! Cabana Program on Coco Cay

melbur

I know the picture doesn't do it justice, but it's very breezy, the cabanas are open at front and back, and they are only bamboo. It's not like a solid structure. Your view depends on which one you book. There are a couple that overlook the sandy beach area to the side of it. Most face right out to the ocean. It is private and quiet, not for everyone.

I just want a photo shoot with the family on one! But don't need all that. We will be moving an walking exploring the island too much!

We just got off the Majesty on Friday and we booked one of the caba-nettes which are now $50. We thought it was worth the money for a couple of reasons - most importantly my husband needs the shade. But we especially enjoyed the peace and quiet of the area - no kids running around, no bartenders passing by pushing drinks. Like anything else that costs extra on a cruise, it is personal preference on what is worth spending the money on. We are going on the Oasis in April with family - which includes 2 small children - and are going to check into getting a cabana on Labadee.

Marianne

So where is the area exactly? It looks like it on the left as you enter Coco Cay. That area is not suitable for swimming or other water activities.

We were at Coco Cay on May 23 and we did see some cabanas and "clam shells" perched over a rocky area by the entrance.

I would love some location info.

Thanks,

M

If it is the area to the left of the tender areas - they were mostly empty when we were there in May – I guess because there is no ocean access.

Beautiful view of ocean and ship though.

M

Loved the Cabanas in Labadee however the location of these concerns me at CoCo

• 1 month later...
We just got off the Majesty on Friday and we booked one of the caba-nettes which are now $50. We thought it was worth the money for a couple of reasons - most importantly my husband needs the shade. But we especially enjoyed the peace and quiet of the area - no kids running around, no bartenders passing by pushing drinks. Like anything else that costs extra on a cruise, it is personal preference on what is worth spending the money on. We are going on the Oasis in April with family - which includes 2 small children - and are going to check into getting a cabana on Labadee.

Marianne

Can you tell me a little more about the caba-nette? Is it pretty much just the clamshell top over 2 loungers? Is there a small table or anything?

What was included for the $50? When and where can you reserve them and is it true they go to suite passengers first?

Thanks!

Just back (March 16th weekend)... see my post here regarding the cabanettes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1598029&highlight=monarch Post #16

I think they are worth it.. IF you:

1. want a leisurely, peaceful lunch atmosphere (yes, there is a FREE Buffet on the island, but it is just crazy busy, and seating is "picnic style" mostly.. and we like a little more "calm" than yet another long buffet line

2. Dont have more than 2 ppl in your party... each cabanette can accomodate TWO people, and the area and layout is really not conducive to children.. they can't get to the water, there is no sand there.. nothing for them to do.. it is a "just lay out an chill" kind of place... (NOT bashing kids.. I have 4.. but I WOULD NOT bring them or pay for them in this area.. they'd be soo bored!) if you had a "group" and could all rent them together, that would be fun.. BUT the clamshells are "OPEN" and NOT moveable (not like the ones on Labadee).. so you really can't talk or hang out as a "group" on the loungers.. unless you maybe pulled them out from the clamshells.. and even then, you'd be blocking the paths, as there is really not a lot of room in this area.....

3. Don't want to "work" to find a lounger or be bothered with hard working wait staff selling drinks... there is 1 bar.. and other than a quick.. "hey.. are you okay? need anythong" we were left in complete peace... we even wrapped up under our towels and took a little nap!

4. won't be going to/from water/beach/island all day long... if you are going to be active (and we ARE) then, maybe it's a good place to "chill" in the AM, grab a calm lunch, before setting out to explore the rest of the island in the afternoon... you can't get to the water.. and the water on that side of the island is rougher/cooler than the further beaches anyway... we hang out there in the AM (til after lunch) then move to our 'fave' area on the back of the island for the afternoon water & sun.

It's one of the things that I do think is appropriately priced for what you get ... *if you understand what it is, and it meets your particular plans for your island day*

either way.. ENJOY! your on vacation... better than anywhere else, right???

Edited by cruzinmamaTN

We rented the private cabana for two August 2011..it was HEAVEN. Away from the masses, private, quiet, lunch was peaceful without waiting on lines for a cold hamburger. True it is not for kids as you cannot go into the water but my 17 year old (at the time) loved it as well. She used the included snorkel and mat and simply walked over to the open water area. You also get to be driven to a different area via the golf cart and she took full advantage of that.

We are going back again for a weekend getaway in June and plan on doing this again. In fact anytime we go to CocoCay we will be making sure to make this part of our day.

• 3 months later...

I rented a cabanette on Coco Cay in January and just decided to book a short cruise on Majesty in a few weeks. I was able to go to the Excursions desk when I boarded in Miami and put my name on a waitlist and was hoping to do so this time as well. Has anyone done this recently?

• 2 months later...

We are wanting to rent a cabana in Coco Cay - but there are 6 of us adults- the ones in Labadee are excellent - along with the steak and shrimp lunch, baked potatoes, salads, etc.

We are hearing now that we are not near the water on Coco Cay and that does not sound appealing. I love the water and would have to go back and forth for swimming.

How far is the walk over to the swimming area. To me it's kind of sensless just to sit there and look at the ship and the water and not being able to go in, in the same area.

So, any more thoughts and if you get your own chef is it possible to have 6 of us in the same cabana? Can't see spending 300.00 for two of them. Wish we were going to Labadee and not Coco Cay, -- we've been there several times and are not impressed with the vendors, although I don't like them on Labadee so we stay away from that area. I hate getting mobbed by them but sure do love Barefoot Beach area.

We are wanting to rent a cabana in Coco Cay - but there are 6 of us adults- the ones in Labadee are excellent - along with the steak and shrimp lunch, baked potatoes, salads, etc.

We are hearing now that we are not near the water on Coco Cay and that does not sound appealing. I love the water and would have to go back and forth for swimming.

How far is the walk over to the swimming area. To me it's kind of sensless just to sit there and look at the ship and the water and not being able to go in, in the same area.

So, any more thoughts and if you get your own chef is it possible to have 6 of us in the same cabana? Can't see spending 300.00 for two of them. Wish we were going to Labadee and not Coco Cay, -- we've been there several times and are not impressed with the vendors, although I don't like them on Labadee so we stay away from that area. I hate getting mobbed by them but sure do love Barefoot Beach area.

It's not that you are not near the water, most have views over the rocky ledge and it is a very short walk into the water from the beach. There is a family size one for 5 you should probably get for your group. The area is lovely and quiet and the buffet nice - made to order steak, shrimp, etc.

Not as pretty as Barefoot maybe, but a lovely spot imho. Enjoy!

Edited by melbur

Thanks for the information Melanie - Canadian eh?

We are too and will definitely look into the larger cabana - my hubby is the only one that doesn't like the sunshine - oh well, his loss - the rest of us will be in the water or laying in the sun.

Thanks again- We are on the Freedom, December 2

• 3 months later...

Hey, does anyone know if the cabanas offer full shade? From the pics, it kind of looks like some of the cabanas and/or the loungers could well be exposed to the sun and I don't see any curtains or anything that could block it. Comments?

• 1 year later...

We just got off a RCCL cruise on Feb 7 2014 and had booked a cabanette while on Coco Cay. The cabanettes are on the far side of the island. You stop at the information booth where the tenders dock and take a tram to the secluded area. They provide 2 bottles of water and a fruit plate. The tram will also take back to the main area for lunch at the regulat buffet. You cannot get the upgrade lunch at the cabanas. You can walk down the beach or take the tram to the area wheather you book the cabanette or not. There are many shady areas with chaise cahirs in the area for anyone's use. Basically you are paying $50 for 2 bottles of water and a fruit plate.