Need Info/Feedback Bear Watching Ketchican

Formerfuzz

We are looking to do one of the Bear Watching tours in Ketchican. There are several listed on Princess' Excursions. Some are Flight, Speed Boat or Shuttle Bus. We are leaning towards the speed boat or shuttle bus. Flying is out of our budget. Also, of course there is no guarantee of seeing bears. My wife really wants to see them catching Salmon. They all seem to go to the same place for viewing. Any ideas on the best or worst time of the season? Maybe a review and recommendation.

As others will probably tell you, when you go will be a factor on where to see bears. I can't comment on the boat or shuttle bus but I highly recommend going to Anan Creek for bear viewing if it fits your time frame. We went there last July and it was AMAZING!!! Countless bears catching salmon right in front of us.

You can read my full review with photos and video here:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Click on Ketchikan.

CruisingGoddess, We loved your review and site. We are concerned that the Salmon will not be running and the Bears may not be be there in late May. :(

You are correct. The salmon will most likely NOT be running and the bears are only just coming out of hibernation and are eating berries and sedge grasses which is in the woods. If you REALLY want to see bears, take your cruise at another time.

Peak bear viewing times in Anan are listed in this web site.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/recreation/wildlife_viewing/ananobservatory.shtml

Neets Bay is another area you could look into but not in May. Google 'ketchikan bear viewing'. For salmon run times, look at the Alaska Fish & Wildlife web site; they have a calendar by area.

If bear viewing is a priority perhaps you need to reschedule. Also, black bears or brown? May is a pretty good time to catch black bears foraging in meadows and woods. People see them frequently around Mendenhall or the drive to Emerald Lake out of Skagway. Do some research for your ports to find good locations.

Looks like if we want to see the Bears we will need to choose later. Thanks for the information.

If you are thinking of changing your cruise date, I highly recommending going in early July like we did. We visited Denali over 4th of July weekend so we had the extra holiday, instead of using our vacation day, and it was perfect timing for Anan Creek.

Archived