Solstice Live/First-Timer Reports/Pix’s: Italy/Croatian June 7-19

TLCOhio

Hi Terry, We are going on the same cruise as you took but in April - first one of the year. I have loved reading your thread and I will go back and read it several times again before I go as there is so much information in it. We appreciate the time you have taken not only to do the initial review and your effort to answer all the questions. I may have missed this, but could you tell me what you paid for the ship's shuttle in Venice please? How often do they go? Is it a return ticket or single only? Do you pay cash (what currency) or add onto seapass? Did you try the vaporettos to go anywhere once on land? We are keen to go Murano and I am wondering how feasible this will be with the extra people in town from the cruise ship. Did you book that restaurant in advance or just walk in off the street? Thanks in advance Terry. Craig

Appreciate, Craig, your very kind comments and interest. You have a cool and hip "name" for these boards. Creative!! And, fun!! Good luck on your upcoming cruise in the Med. Good questions! Here are my responses. Keep up the good research and planning. Don't be shy in asking more questions. No extra charge for more info and/or re-reviewing my live/blog!!

1. VENICE SHUTTLE: From Celebrity you could buy a one-day or two-day pass. One day cost $22. The two-day, that I used to go back the next morning, cost $36. They were going back and forth fairly frequently. No long waits at either end. They had a local company from Venice running these back and forth shuttles.

2. VAPORETTOS: We have used these "local buses" in the past. They work fine, but the main downsides are along the Grand Canal that it can be slow as certain of the ships are "locals", making lots of stops and being somewhat crowded.

3. EXTRA PEOPLE: Venice is always busy, especially in the peak spring through fall season!! We were lucky on our day there, that we were on the only major ship in port that evening. During the day, even with no ships in port, Venice will have lots of day-trip visitors. Expect crowds, but as you get away from San Marco Plaza, things "thin out".

4. DINING PLACE: Yes, we made that reservation ahead by e-mail to them. There were busy that night and if we had just walked up, we probably would not have been able to be seated outside in a prime, near the water, place. They have a large inside seating area, but the cool and exciting experience is dining outside there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks Terry for your prompt and helpful reply. Yes, we don't like to miss out on anything, hence the name! We can now plan what we will do in Venice. The shuttle sounds like the way to go and then on foot everywhere? Very much appeciated. Cheers Craig.

Appreciate your follow-up, Craig. Sounds like you've got a good plan. Fortunately, Venice is not really that large compared to Rome, Paris, London, etc. Fairly compact and focused. That makes things easier. Keep planning and preparing. Let me know any added questions and/or picture interests.

Hey Terry!

I've just recovered my log in details - since September! So, apologies for not getting back to thank you so much for your invaluable information.

We had a fantastic time, loved the ship & our first time 'real' cruise. Everything went so well I needn't have worried about a thing.

I really appreciate every question you answered and can't wait to go again!

Hey Terry! I've just recovered my log in details - since September! So, apologies for not getting back to thank you so much for your invaluable information. We had a fantastic time, loved the ship & our first time 'real' cruise. Everything went so well I needn't have worried about a thing. I really appreciate every question you answered and can't wait to go again!

Appreciate your nice comments and follow-up. Glad your cruise worked well. We have not been to the West Yorkshire part of England. Pass through York on the way to Scotland in 1977 and have been in York, but not been to Leeds and those other nearby areas. Look forward to visiting these and other parts of the UK in the future. What are your top tips for visiting in those areas?

Appreciate your nice comments and follow-up. Glad your cruise worked well. We have not been to the West Yorkshire part of England. Pass through York on the way to Scotland in 1977 and have been in York, but not been to Leeds and those other nearby areas. Look forward to visiting these and other parts of the UK in the future. What are your top tips for visiting in those areas?

Yorkshire is beautiful, has everything and is nearby beautiful parts of England. We are about half an hour from York but had a weekend there for my birthday last year so enjoyed it as tourists.

I'm a huge fan of the open top busses in England, you find your bearings around a city and they fill you with historical facts. York is small but has a huge history so the bus is well worth it. It's a real bustling city but around the famous Minster it's quiet and peaceful and inside the Minster is awesome and so, so beautiful. There's The Shambles which is a famous old shopping street and is very pretty with its leaning buildings which are tiny by today's standards! Lots of tea shops and good boutiques and gentlemans outfitters. York also has sweet (candy) shops with hidden bars in the back or upstairs and old pubs. There's lots to do in York, it's fabulous.

You must go to Robin Hoods Bay and Whitby when in Yorkshire, they are nearby each other and are old fishing villages. Whitby is very gothic with the Old Abbey ruins and Was the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula and captain Cook set sail from there.

You will be near The Yorkshire Dales, amazing countryside and lovely old pubs to stay in with big roaring fires and lots of atmosphere. There's also The Moors for a Wuthering Heights experience!

Leeds has fantastic shopping, galleries, theatre, opera, ballet and great restaurants alongside old pubs - The Adelphi is the best and well worth a visit. You should do a canal trip too Down the Leeds Liverpool canal.

I should shut up perhaps! Give me a shout when your trip is imminent & I'll do a personal recommendation list for you or I'll go on waxing lyrical about my county for pages! It'll be a pleasure after all your invaluable help for my first time cruise.

Yorkshire is beautiful, has everything and is nearby beautiful parts of England. We are about half an hour from York but had a weekend there for my birthday last year so enjoyed it as tourists. Give me a shout when your trip is imminent & I'll do a personal recommendation list for you or I'll go on waxing lyrical about my county for pages! It'll be a pleasure after all your invaluable help for my first time cruise.

Appreciate your super info on the Yorkshire areas of England. Have copied and saved these items in my future travels file on my laptop. Will have to figure out a way to see this area tied into an upcoming cruise. Or, land trip to the UK, etc. Just found out that our second grandchild will be coming in early August. That will put just 22 months between our first grandchild born in early October, 2010, and this second one. Those grandchildren do affect these travel options and timings.

This posting is getting very close to being over 60,000 views. THANKS to all who have tuned in and posted any questions or comments! Keep the good comments and questions rolling along. Happy to supply added info and/or posted any needed, additional pictures.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

My paternal grandmother was born in Lancashire. I was hoping to visit there when I visited a friend in London in July 2007, but never made it. Can you tell me how far Lancashire is from London. I am hoping to make the trip in the next year. My grandmother died in 1986. She emigrated from Lancashire to Toronto, Canada, and then moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota in the United States when she was 21. I am working on genealogy and have very little knowledge about her family.

My paternal grandmother was born in Lancashire. I was hoping to visit there when I visited a friend in London in July 2007, but never made it. Can you tell me how far Lancashire is from London. I am hoping to make the trip in the next year. My grandmother died in 1986. She emigrated from Lancashire to Toronto, Canada, and then moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota in the United States when she was 21. I am working on genealogy and have very little knowledge about her family.

Greetings to our "neighbor" from Cleveland. On the distance from London to Lancashire, it is about 225-250 miles north from the capital of the UK. Exact distance would depend on the routing you take. Lancashire is fairly far north, being above Manchester and Liverpool, nearly to the border with Scotland. Hope this helps some. It's sunny and 50F right now in Central Ohio. Hope you've got some nice January weather today in Cleveland.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 59.067 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 56,924 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry,

First let me say what has clearly become an unanimous opinion in this thread - you have done a wonderful job educating us with your wonderful pictures and excellent commentary. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread and is has totally increased my excitement for my very similar cruise on the Solstice in May.

That said, you have also sparked my desire to upgrade my current digital camera which, well, isn't all that current. I currently have a 7 year old Sony W7 point and shoot camera and have have no complaints about picture quality generally since I am nowhere near an avid photographer. However, I have always been frustrated with its very minimal 3x zoom. So many pictures of yours made me think - "man, I really need a camera that zooms a bit farther. . . I don't want to be sailing into Venice and not be able to get some great closer up shots of St. Mark's Square, or particular building architecture, etc."

So one of my questions to you is - how much zoom do you typically use when shooting and how much zoom do you suggest a good camera have?

Coming from a 3x zoom camera, I'm sure anything above that will be joyful. On the flip side, while I initially thought the more zoom the better, I'm now thinking that I don't know if it makes a lot of sense to have a camera with 35x zoom when only .05% of my shots will ever be that zoomed in. Thus, I while I started to look at some bridge non SLR camera which you can't carry in your pocket, I really think that the best type of camera for me is a point and shoot that I can keep in my pocket. And, seeing that technology has increased and it is possible to get a point and shoot that has 14x, 15, 18x zoom, I'm hoping this is a good plan.

So, with all that in mind, do you have any camera suggestions you could suggest?

I don't ever expect my pictures to turn out like yours, but I did cut and copy the tips you provided on picture taking and plan to try to incorporate them when using my eventual new camera.

P.S. - Thanks again for taking such great pics as, beyond just being wonderful to view, they have also tricked my wife into thinking that I could actually take a pictures like that with a new camera and therefore she has approved the funds for the new camera purchase :) Hopefully I make the purchase before she actually gets this far in your thread ;)

Do you have your cruise pictures posted at any "public" site where we can go to review them by themselves? We did Barcelona 7 day cruises in Nov 2009 and Oct 2010. Loved that itinerary and it was a great time to see Italy.

Excellent thought and suggestion!! I have used Photobucket to upload my pictures in order that they pop up large on this Cruise Critic site. BUT, no, sorry, they are not yet organized in a nice, easy flow/order at an easy access site such as Photobucket or at a similar web location. Just a matter of time. Between work, our first grandchild, some home improvements, etc., I have not had the time to focus on doing that, getting all of the titles and descriptions lined-up. It's on the future, to-do list.

Good questions from lawtyger. Will try to answer that later today or tomorrow morning. Got a large work project to get done in the next four days.

hi TLCOhio,

will be going on my first med and celebrity cruise in may, so have been reading all the posts in the celebrity forum and stumbled on this post. all your pictures are so very beautifully taken and captures every aspect so well. makes me now so excited about our forthcoming cruise. wish i could take pics like that with my point and shoot!! methinks it's time for a camera upgrade!!

cottonball511

Good questions from lawtyger. Will try to answer that later today or tomorrow morning. Got a large work project to get done in the next four days.

Thanks Terry. Just as an additional information, I'm leaning towards one of the following cameras at the moment:

Sony HX9V

Nikon S9100

Olympus SZ-30MR

Again, I realize these are travel point and shoot cameras and a completely different class of camera than you use (being lower that is) but ultimately the convenience of having it in my pocket at all times is best for usage and the level of photography I'll likely remain at.

I think with the Olympus in particular, what was initially attractive was a 24x zoom but I now question if that much zoom is needed for what I hope to accomplish on the trip and if that is more zoom than is needed, then the Sony and Nikon are preferable to me because of some other quirks the OLympus has.

Edited by lawtyger

Excellent thought and suggestion!! I have used Photobucket to upload my pictures in order that they pop up large on this Cruise Critic site. BUT, no, sorry, they are not yet organized in a nice, easy flow/order at an easy access site such as Photobucket or at a similar web location. Just a matter of time. Between work, our first grandchild, some home improvements, etc., I have not had the time to focus on doing that, getting all of the titles and descriptions lined-up. It's on the future, to-do list.

Was just wondering the same thing... looking for photos of Kotor, having tentatively booked Silhouette's Adriatic itin for October. But of course not problem finding them in this thread, either.

If/when you're ready to get these on a nice site, I can heartily recommend SmugMug. And you can get a discount code from one of the CC users with a SmugMug site, like Lsimon or myself. ;)

hi TLCOhio, will be going on my first med and celebrity cruise in may, so have been reading all the posts in the celebrity forum and stumbled on this post. all your pictures are so very beautifully taken and captures every aspect so well. makes me now so excited about our forthcoming cruise. wish i could take pics like that with my point and shoot!! methinks it's time for a camera upgrade!! cottonball511

lawtyger: First let me say what has clearly become an unanimous opinion in this thread - you have done a wonderful job educating us with your wonderful pictures and excellent commentary. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread and is has totally increased my excitement for my very similar cruise on the Solstice in May. You have also sparked my desire to upgrade my current digital camera. I currently have a 7 year old Sony W7 point and shoot camera. I have always been frustrated with its very minimal 3x zoom. So many pictures of yours made me think - "man' date=' I really need a camera that zooms a bit farther. . . I don't want to be sailing into Venice and not be able to get some great closer up shots of St. Mark's Square, or particular building architecture, etc." So one of my questions to you is - how much zoom do you typically use when shooting and how much zoom do you suggest a good camera have? I'm now thinking that I don't know if it makes a lot of sense to have a camera with 35x zoom when only .05% of my shots will ever be that zoomed in. Thus, I while I started to look at some bridge non SLR camera which you can't carry in your pocket, I really think that the best type of camera for me is a point and shoot that I can keep in my pocket. So, with all that in mind, do you have any camera suggestions you could suggest? I don't ever expect my pictures to turn out like yours, but I did cut and copy the tips you provided on picture taking and plan to try to incorporate them when using my eventual new camera. P.S. - Thanks again for taking such great pics as, beyond just being wonderful to view, they have also tricked my wife into thinking that I could actually take a pictures like that with a new camera and therefore she has approved the funds for the new camera purchase Hopefully I make the purchase before she actually gets this far in your thread [/quote']

lawtyger: I'm leaning towards one of the following cameras at the moment: Sony HX9V' date=' Nikon S9100, Olympus SZ-30MR

Again, I realize these are travel point and shoot cameras and a completely different class of camera than you use (being lower that is) but ultimately the convenience of having it in my pocket at all times is best for usage and the level of photography I'll likely remain at. I think with the Olympus in particular, what was initially attractive was a 24x zoom but I now question if that much zoom is needed for what I hope to accomplish on the trip and if that is more zoom than is needed, then the Sony and Nikon are preferable to me because of some other quirks the OLympus has. [/quote']

Appreciate the kind and nice comments from cottonball511. Good luck on your Med May cruise. Yes, a camera upgrade might be good. These digital cameras keep getting better and better, making things easier to get nice pictures, do more with them in editing, etc.

For lawtyger, I have not looked at all three of these options you are considering for your cruise. BUT, from a quick glance at the Nikon model, there are some amazing details: 12.1-megapixels, high resolution monitor, 18x wide-angle Zoom-NIKKOR ED glass lens, Full HD (1080p) movie recording, etc. Great options!! Glad I have played a part to "trick" your wife and conspire to help you get a better camera. Happy to have been of that help. A key item to watch for. Some cameras have a high-zoom rate or X-level. BUT, some are "real" zooms where the lens moves and you get better quality. Others have a digital zoom that is not as good in quality. 24x is not always better than 18x in final quality. Need to check and consider those kinds of details. Having 12 megapixel really helps give you lots of "quality" for when you are doing some editing and zooming on your computer after you are back from your cruise.

The temptation with a Nikon S9100 is that price-wise, you are not that far in cost from a SLR or single lens reflex camera that has more options, longer-range, with added, better lens potentials. It can all work out fine either way. From the more detailed postings I have done previously, the key "secrets", whether with a SLR or point-and-shoot, are to:

1. Take lots and lots of pictures, improve your odds of getting better ones; only show your good ones.

2. Get closer to your subject, fill the screen, move your feet closer, zoom in, etc.

3. Do some editing on your computer to better frame the subject, straighten, brighten, etc.

4. Make things interesting, involve people, show context for the setting/picture, etc.

5. Hold the camera steady, stability the camera in lower light situation by leaning against walls or door frames, etc.

Now over 61,000 views for this June 2011 adventure. Appreciate those who have tuned in!! Keep the good questions rolling along. Happy to share more.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 57,553 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi Terry, I am going to be sailing on the Solstice on October 2, 2012 with a group of nine other people (friends or friends of friends) coming from various cities in Canada. I enjoyed your review of the cruise you took in June on the Solstice and was wondering if you could recommend some good private tours that you took in Villefranche, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples and Venice (if one was taken in Venice). Also, some of our group are planning to arrive a couple of days before sailing and tour Barcelona. Any private tour guides that you could recommend there and hotels? This is my first time to Europe and am really looking forward to this cruise. I'd appreciate any tips or recommendations you can give regarding this cruise. Thanks! icon7.gif

Esther from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Was just wondering the same thing... looking for photos of Kotor, having tentatively booked Silhouette's Adriatic itin for October. But of course not problem finding them in this thread, either. If/when you're ready to get these on a nice site, I can heartily recommend SmugMug. And you can get a discount code from one of the CC users with a SmugMug site, like Lsimon or myself.

lawtyger: Thanks Terry' date=' I'll be taking all your advice into consideration when likely deciding between the Sony and Nikon. I also look forward to incorporating your "secrets" on the upcoming adventure. [/quote']

XctdAbtCrsng: Hi Terry' date=' I am going to be sailing on the Solstice on October 2, 2012 with a group of nine other people (friends or friends of friends) coming from various cities in Canada. I enjoyed your review of the cruise you took in June on the Solstice and was wondering if you could [b']recommend some good private tours[/b] that you took in Villefranche, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples and Venice (if one was taken in Venice). Also, some of our group are planning to arrive a couple of days before sailing and tour Barcelona. Any private tour guides that you could recommend there and hotels? This is my first time to Europe and am really looking forward to this cruise. I'd appreciate any tips or recommendations you can give regarding this cruise. Thanks! Esther from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Appreciate the added comments and questions. Super loved Kotor. Don't miss the early am sail-in and/or the sail-out. Love being up on the top deck for those activities. For many more details and photos on Kotor and nearby, check these postings:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Will check out SmugMug. My understanding is that most of these posting site are pretty good. Probably will stick with PhotoBucket since I've been using them.

Good luck to lawtyger on that camera purchase. Let me know how things work out.

For Esther from Winnipeg, there are many good options to consider. Being your first trip to Europe makes things more challenging as there are so many, many great options to consider. It is not like in the Carib where many of the ports have only tee-shirt shops, an old fort and a beach. There is "real history", great architecture, world-class culture, etc., in many of these ports in Europe.

Tell me more about your personal and travel interests, how much you are interested in history, countryside vs. cities, museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? Then, with more detailed information from you, I can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

For the ports near Pisa/Florence, Rome and Naples, I would look for options with RomeInLimo. They give a discount when doing two or more programs with them. With your size of group, that size is perfect and very affordable. You can make your tour very "personal" and custom to your specific needs and interests. Tell Duman that I suggested them and I am sure, he and Jany will be very, very helpful in crafting plans to fit your interests, style and needs.

We had been to Venice before and did things on our own. On Villefranche, we hooked up with a local resident there that I connected with prior through these boards. Look forward to hearing more back from you and then I can share more.

From high above Kotor, this is the view of the fjord bay with the Solstice in prime position to soak up the spectacular sun on our visiting day there.:

KotorHarborViewSolstice.jpg

This is the walled gate as we entered Kotor to see in various historic buildings, many churches and shops. YES, they have lots of shops, whether needed or not!!:

KotorMainEntrancePalms.jpg

Terry,

MANY, MANY thanks for this spectacular blog -- it enabled me to relive all those terrific memories. It was wonderful meeting you on the cruise and at the restaurant along the canal in Venice. Your pictures truly captured many wonderful moments and highlights of the ports and the ship. I was one of the late-comers to that big buffet and it was great seeing the sumptuous spread before the masses descended!

I'll stay tuned to future updates and hope that a photo album for further review is a project that comes real. :)

Only one question -- when and where are you cruising next?

Eileen

Reliving an awesome cruise: Terry, MANY, MANY thanks for this spectacular blog -- it enabled me to relive all those terrific memories. It was wonderful meeting you on the cruise and at the restaurant along the canal in Venice. Your pictures truly captured many wonderful moments and highlights of the ports and the ship. I was one of the late-comers to that big buffet and it was great seeing the sumptuous spread before the masses descended! I'll stay tuned to future updates and hope that a photo album for further review is a project that comes real. Only one question -- when and where are you cruising next? Eileen

Appreciate, Eileen, your super kind and nice comments. Don't have our next cruise scheduled. Waiting to figure out whether my wife will be retiring from her school job in five or seventeen months, affecting our time for early 2013 or 2014 to do a planned New Zealand-Australia cruise. Also have a sixteen-month-old first grandchild with another due in early August, plus a major home improvement bath project in the works. Plus, work and other things.

Glad to be of help reliving those great memories from our wonderful cruise in the Med.

Hi

What private tour company did you use in Naples and was it a success?

Thanks

At the top of these boards, it says “write a review”, so here goes, in live, blogging style. Last July we did our third cruise. Lots of great visuals to share along that Norway coast and fjords routing going up to the North Cape. That posting is now over 43,000 views. Appreciate those who tuned in.

This year, it was Tuesday, June 8, for our boarding of the Celebrity Solstice from Barcelona. We enjoyed time getting to know the ship, its offerings, lunch on the back Oceanview area, dinner in the main dining room, etc.

Today, we just completed tendering in Villefranche, seeing this area and to the east, including Menton and Monaco.

There are lots of details, pictures and first-impressions for the ship to share, but first a little background and pictures on Barcelona. It’s a super great city and port that has gotten even better since our first visit there in 1998. There is so much charming history and architecture, both classical and contemporary, in this city that is in Spain, but really its own region and special world. You will see that in some of the pictures below. During our afternoon and evening there, we did two different hop-on, hop-off bus tours of the city. From that top-level view on a wonderfully-nice, super-perfect weather day, I took over 400 pictures. Those have been narrowed-down to just twelve below. More Barcelona pictures will come later from breakfast and touring their super special market located along the famed la Rambla before going to board our ship mid-day.

Our party and experiences?: We are traveling with another couple from Central Ohio, Amy and Milt, who have done many, many Celebrity cruises, including two previously on the Solstice. We have connected with many others on this trip previously “connected” through these Cruise Critic boards. On our first day on the ship, we met and talk with a number of these CC board members through a 5 pm sail-away at the Sunset Bar, plus an 8:15 pm private party at the Michael’s Club. The Cruise Director was there playing piano, plus the Hotel Director and some other top ship officials attending.

Our past cruising?: We have done just three cruises. Late June 2006 on 204-passenger Seabourn Spirit, Athens to Istanbul, enjoying the Greek Isles over seven days. Then late July 2008 on the 940-passenger Crystal Symphony, Dover to Stockholm, enjoying the Baltics and Russia. And last year’s July 1-16 adventure on the 296-passenger Silver Cloud from Copenhagen seeing the dramatic Norway coast, above the Arctic Circle, Land of the Midnight Sun, etc. All three lines were excellent with great service, fellow passengers, staff, etc. What’s best? The honest answer is . . . “It depends!!!”. Ports, schedules, timing and prices vary much, especially right now with this economy, high airlines costs, challenged dollar values, etc. You need to seek what best fits your exact personal needs, budget and interests. That’s why we are sampling a larger ship, being with good friends, seeing previously-visited places in France, Spain and Italy, plus two highly-desired, first-time stops along the Croatian Coast.

OVERALL SCHEDULE/PLAN:

June 5, Sunday, depart Columbus, Ohio, through New York’s JFK airport; arrive Barcelona, Monday, June 6 early afternoon. Overnight at Hotel Regencia Colon near the historic Cathedral.

June 7, Tuesday, 5 pm, Celebrity Solstice departure from Barcelona.

June 8, Wednesday, 10 am to 8 pm, Villefranche, east of Nice, tendered. With private tour guide, visiting Monaco & Menton along the coast to the east.

June 9, Thursday, 7 am-7 pm, Laspezia port near Pisa and Florence, personal tour to the terraced coastal villages of Cinque Terre with private guide.

June 10,*Friday, 7 am-7 pm, Civitavecchia port near Rome, train into Rome; special Scavi/Necropolis tour under the Papal Basilica of St. Peter, options for other churches and nearby sights.

June 11, Saturday, 7 am-7 pm, Naples, private tour for scenic Ravello village overlooking the sea, Amalfi coast drive, historic remains at Herculaneum and Naples’ famed Archeological Museum with Pompeii relics.

June 12, Sunday, at sea.

June 13, Monday, Kotor, Montenegro, sail-in through fjord-like settings; 7 am-4 pm, tendered; ship tour to Old Royal Capital of Cetinje, various mountain overview areas, coastal walled city, etc.

June 14, Tuesday, arrive 2 pm in Venice, over-night there in port, various Venice options, special dinner there at canal-side at Restorante da Raffaele.

June 15, Wednesday, depart 2 pm from Venice after early morning sunrise walking in this historic city with its architectural treasures.

June 16, Thursday, 8:30 am-6 pm, Dubrovnik, Croatia, on-our-own-walking of walled areas, touring older/historic city areas, lunch at scenic coastal restaurant overlooking historic harbor, cable car ride to the mountain top.

June 17, Friday, at sea, sailing back to Barcelona. 39th wedding anniversary dinner at evening speciality Murano dining spot.

June 18, Saturday, at sea, sailing back to Barcelona.

June 19, Sunday, arrive Barcelona, 6 am; overnight at Hotel Onix Liceo, just off of the la Rambla. depart Monday, June 20 air flight to Columbus.

Many more details, ship impressions and pictures to come. There is so much to see and do on the ship, plus an initial, very intense first four port days, that it will take a little time to catch up.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our last July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now at 43,080 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

For Barcelona, one of the most famous sites is its main and historic Cathedral that is over 700-years old and right around the corner from our hotel.:

BarcelMainCathedGreatSky.jpg

Overlooking the harbor is this statue/column to Christopher Columbus, plus a couple of government buildings.:

BarcelColStatueGovBldg.jpg

Overlooking the Barcelona harbor is this old warehouse building that is now a museum for this area with many water-front dining places.:

BarcelWaterOldWarehouseMus.jpg

Barcelona has many apartment building with interesting architecture details. Here the iron railings are wonderful with a local lady taking a look as we pass below.:

BarcelBalconyIronworkLady.jpg

Near one of famed architect Gaudi’s most famous building, here is a unique street light design along one of Barcelona’s major boulevards.:

BarcelGaudiStreetLight.jpg

This is a closer look at the top of one of Gaudi’s most famous buildings in Barcelona.:

BarcelTightGaudiBldgDetails.jpg

Hi. What private tour company did you use in Naples and was it a success? Thanks

For Naples, we used RomeInLimo and things worked out super well. On page three of my live/blog, you can see lots more of the many details and pictures for what did with them along the Amalfi Coast, etc. Below are just three of the pictures. Our driver, Carmine, was totally super and so wonderful. Look over those details and let me know any added questions or needs that you have for what we did the many great options in this area. If you use them for two or more tours in these areas of Italy, there are added discounts.

THANKS to our Spanish Friend for dropping by and asking! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata during our private tour for our small group through RomeInLimo. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

As he drove through the “Little Switzerland” mountains, Carmine was driving, singing, telling us fun stories, making sure we did the right and best photo stops, etc. :

NaplesCarmineDrivingMtns.jpg

Were people happy? Here are our friends Amy and Milt from Central Ohio smiling and enjoying Ravello and its beautiful views for nearby mountains, villages and coastlines.:

NaplesAmyMiltVeryHappyRavello.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Hi Terry, thanks for your reply. I am very interested in touring the cities, shops, museums, and would love some feedback on any good restaurants you could recommend in Barcelona. I would also like to see some of the countryside if our tour permits. My travelling companions are also interested in the same types of things so it will make it pretty easy to go on private tours in the various ports. How far in advance should we be booking these tours. Also, can you recommend any good hotels in Barcelona that are in a good location for site-seeing, restaurants, shopping, etc. Looking forward to any recommendations you might have regarding this. By the way, your pictures are wonderful. Thanks. Esther from Winnipeg, Canada. :)

Appreciate the added comments and questions. Super loved Kotor. Don't miss the early am sail-in and/or the sail-out. Love being up on the top deck for those activities. For many more details and photos on Kotor and nearby, check these postings:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Will check out SmugMug. My understanding is that most of these posting site are pretty good. Probably will stick with PhotoBucket since I've been using them.

Good luck to lawtyger on that camera purchase. Let me know how things work out.

For Esther from Winnipeg, there are many good options to consider. Being your first trip to Europe makes things more challenging as there are so many, many great options to consider. It is not like in the Carib where many of the ports have only tee-shirt shops, an old fort and a beach. There is "real history", great architecture, world-class culture, etc., in many of these ports in Europe.

Tell me more about your personal and travel interests, how much you are interested in history, countryside vs. cities, museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? Then, with more detailed information from you, I can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

For the ports near Pisa/Florence, Rome and Naples, I would look for options with RomeInLimo. They give a discount when doing two or more programs with them. With your size of group, that size is perfect and very affordable. You can make your tour very "personal" and custom to your specific needs and interests. Tell Duman that I suggested them and I am sure, he and Jany will be very, very helpful in crafting plans to fit your interests, style and needs.

We had been to Venice before and did things on our own. On Villefranche, we hooked up with a local resident there that I connected with prior through these boards. Look forward to hearing more back from you and then I can share more.

From high above Kotor, this is the view of the fjord bay with the Solstice in prime position to soak up the spectacular sun on our visiting day there.:

KotorHarborViewSolstice.jpg

This is the walled gate as we entered Kotor to see in various historic buildings, many churches and shops. YES, they have lots of shops, whether needed or not!!:

KotorMainEntrancePalms.jpg