Solstice Live/First-Timer Reports/Pix’s: Italy/Croatian June 7-19

TLCOhio

Terry, I know I'm late in this thread, but we are heading that way this Fall. Do you have any recommended readings for the history/background of the Vatican and its surroundings? We are practicing Catholics, but Church history isn't my strongest suit. Your blog and photos are amazing so far and so informative. Ann

Hi, Ann! Appreciate your nice comments. Excellent questions and interest. Personally, history has always been a large focus of curiosity and love to me, along with interrelated areas such as architecture, art, travel, etc. We’ve traveled to twenty-two different countries in Europe, starting in December 1970, while I was in college seeing six different countries during a month-long Eurorail adventure. This included my first visits to Paris, Venice, Rome, Florence, Amsterdam, Munich, Vienna, etc.

What, to me, is so much fun and interesting are seeing why and how ALL of the mixes of history for religion, cultures, nations, art/architecture, etc., have tangled, twisted and come together as we now live in the twenty-first century. For some people, however, these histories are highly complex and totally confusing. For my interests, by contrast, it is exciting and challenging to connect together these history to explain and understand so much of what affects current affairs/battles today and for the future in our world.

While not a member of the Catholic Church, it is fascinating how the role of this church and Christianity in the past 2000 years has dramatically influenced western civilization. Initially, that history of Jesus Christ was centered in and around Jerusalem. With the twelve Apostles, it was Peter and his successors who planted and made the connection to and with Rome. As later known as Saint Peter, he become the temporal head of his Church. That is what has made the Bishop of Rome as the sole legitimate claim to authority and primacy as Pope by way of the unbroken line of popes, claimed as successors to Simon Peter and Jesus. Peter preached in many areas of the world, but focused much of his time in and around Rome. Peter is said to have been crucified (upside down at his own request) under orders from Emperor Nero around the year 67 A.D. Catholic tradition holds that Saint Peter's site of crucifixion is located in the Clementine Chapel, while his bones and remains are contained in the Scavi or underground area, two levels below St. Peter's Basilica. We were fortunate to visit this site of Peter’s burial in June 2011. There, we could see up close and personal how these histories of Rome evolved from when it was a pagan cemetery to being part of Peter’s burial site. This underground area was excavated secretly starting during World War II and has only been open to the public since the early 1980’s.

Rome versus the Christian faith battled for several hundred years until in 313 AD when Emperor Constantine I legalized Christianity. In 380, it became the state religion of the Roman Empire. Then, there were the evolving histories of Rome tangled by the fall of the Western Empire and later with the decline of Eastern Roman Empire (based in Constantinople, later Istanbul). After the destruction of the western Roman Empire, the Catholic Church was a major factor in the preservation of classical civilization, establishing monasteries and sending missionaries to convert the peoples of northern Europe, as far as Ireland in the north. In the East, the Byzantine Empire preserved Orthodoxy, well after the massive invasions of Islam in the mid-7th century.

This whole period of the next five centuries was dominated by the struggle between Christianity and Islam throughout the Mediterranean areas and going up as far north as the Loire Valley in France. In the 11th century, there were religious tension and battles between the primarily Greek church in the East and the Latin/Rome church in the West. This developed into the East-West Schism with conflicts over Papal Authority. There was a period called the Avignon Papacy from 1309 to 1376 when seven Popes resided in the Provence area of southern France, not Rome. This arose from the conflict between the Papacy and the French Crown. Also during this general period were the “Dark Ages” when many invaders came down to Italy from the north. This historic period or the Middle Ages was roughly the 6th to 13th centuries. It was called a period of intellectual darkness and human suffering before the rise of the Italian Renaissance in the 14th century. During this time period, Italy was not a single nation, but a collection of City-States with huge power and wealth mostly focused around Venice and Florence as the key and separate powers. Rome was not as powerful and in the center of things during this point in history.

In the 16th century, tensions were growing over practices of the Catholic Church, leading to the rise of the Protestant Reformation in Germany and other northern Europe areas. The Church engaged in a process of reform and renewal known as the Counter-Reformation. In subsequent centuries, Catholicism spread widely across the world (helped by Spain’s power and colonies) despite experiencing a reduction in its hold on European populations due to the growth of Protestantism and because of religious doubts during and after the Enlightenment.

Then, there is the long, dramatic history of Saint Peter's Basilica, a late Renaissance church within Vatican City that is fairly “new”. It, like many churches, was built to “impress” and hold out hope during a challenged period of suffering as an example for how the “Glory of Heaven” would be for those who believed in the Church and its teachings.

Designed by famed artists such as Michelangelo, Saint Peter's Basilica is regarded as the most renowned work of Renaissance architecture and is one of the largest churches in the world. Technically, it is neither the mother church of the Roman Catholic Church, nor the cathedral of the Bishop of Rome. But, Saint Peter's Basilica is regarded as one of the holiest Catholic sites and a place of pilgrimage. There has been a church on this site since the 4th century. Construction of the present basilica began on April 1506 and was completed November 1626. St Peter's has a number of services throughout the year, drawing audiences of 15,000 to over 80,000 people, either within the Vatican Basilica or in St Peter's Square. Its plan was as an enormous Greek Cross with a dome inspired by the huge circular Roman temple, the Pantheon. The dome is very similar in form to the Florence Cathedral, but larger.

In 1547 in the reign of Pope Paul III, Michelangelo, then in his seventies, took charge of the building program at St Peter's. During this period, there was more history with Michelangelo and his involvement there as reflected in the 1965 movie, “The Agony and the Ecstasy” starring Charlton Heston as Michelangelo and Rex Harrison as Pope Julius II. The film was partly based on Irving Stone's biographical novel reflecting the conflicts between Michelangelo and the Pope during the painting of the Sistine Chapel's ceiling.

Michelangelo took over a building site at which four piers, enormous beyond any constructed since ancient Roman times, were rising behind the remaining nave of the old basilica. He also inherited the numerous designs schemes for this church and developed a grand vision that is pretty much as it exists today. The dome of St. Peter's rises 448.1’ from the floor of the basilica to the top of the external cross. It is the tallest dome in the world. Its internal diameter is 136.1’. It has a greater diameter by approximately 30 feet than Constantinople's famed Hagia Sophia church, completed in 537. His dome, like that of Florence, is constructed of two shells of brick, the outer one having 16 stone ribs. Around the inside of the dome, the lettering is 6.6’ high. Looking from below, these letters seem small given the massive scale for this church, but they are actually very large.

The entire interior of St Peter's is lavishly decorated with marble, reliefs, architectural sculpture and gilding. The basilica contains a large number of tombs of popes and other notables. Many of these are considered outstanding artworks. There are also a number of sculptures in niches and chapels, including Michelangelo's famed Pieta. It was carved when he was only age 24 around 1498–1499 from a single block of in Carrara marble. Its beauty is amazing!!

The central Basilica feature is a baldachin, or canopy over the Papal Altar, designed by Bernini. The sanctuary culminates in a sculptural ensemble, also by Bernini, and containing the symbolic Chair of St Peter.

One observer wrote: "St Peter's Basilica is the reason why Rome is still the center of the civilized world. For religious, historical and architectural reasons it by itself justifies a journey to Rome, and its interior offers a palimpsest of artistic styles at their best..."

My summary might seem long, but it is only a super short, short version and quick overview. From web sources such as Wikipedia and the Vatican site, you can read lots more. From your library or other sources, you can get books and other sources for much more details on the Catholic Church, Rome, the art there, etc. And, next door to the main basilica is the Vatican Museum with many famous rooms and works of artistic achievement. So much to see and do here.

Does this help to give a little history and context for Rome? Other reactions and questions? Below are a few visuals from in and around Saint Peter's.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 94,257 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are two examples of the spectacular exterior of and around St. Peter’s. First is a “high shot” from the top of the dome. Second is the front with one of the spectacular fountains in the foreground. These two shots are from my first visit to Rome in 1970. Hasn’t changed much in 40+ years. St. Peter's Basilica has the largest interior of any Christian church in the world, holding 60,000 people. It was “built to impress” and does. Construction of the present basilica, over the old Constantinian basilica, began in 1506 and was completed in 1626. The dome of St. Peter's rises 448 feet from the floor of the basilica to the top of the external cross. It is the tallest dome in the world. Michelangelo redesigned the dome in 1547, taking design ideas from Florence’s famed church. St. Peter's Square is vast, 1,115 feet long by 787 feet wide.:

RomeStPeterFromDomeDown.jpg

RomeStPetersFrontFountain.jpg

Here are two interior views in St. Peters with the dome towering over its central worship area and then a longer shot of this area. To give an idea of scale, the lettering on that lower part of the dome is each six and a half feet tall. Gianlorenzo Bernini (1598–1680) design the baldacchino, a pavilion-like structure 98 feet tall and claimed to be the largest piece of bronze in the world.:

RomeStPetersDomeInterVertical.jpg

RomeStPetersInteriorHortCeiling.jpg

Here are two samples of Michelangelo's ceiling frescoes in the Sistine Chapel. This is is the best-known chapel in the Apostolic Palace, the official residence of the Pope in Vatican City. This work was done between 1508 and 1512. First is a wider picture showing that this room is more than just the ceiling that is elaborately decorated. It includes the walls, floors, etc. The second picture focuses more on the center part with the famed image of the hand of God giving life to Adam. This often crowded chapel is 134' long by 44' wide, the dimensions of the Temple of Solomon. The vaulted ceiling rises to 68'.:

RomeSistineChapelCeiling.jpg

RomeSistineChCeilingCloser.jpg

Terry, Did you book your guide through RIL or did you just take one outside Pompeii when you got there? Am having a debate with the other couple in our travel group -- I vote for pre-arranging, he votes for pick one up there.

For anyone else: Did you get a guide at Pompeii (or for the Vatican stuff)? If so, before getting there or just picking one up outside the venue?

Ann

Terry, Did you book your guide through RIL or did you just take one outside Pompeii when you got there? Am having a debate with the other couple in our travel group -- I vote for pre-arranging, he votes for pick one up there. For anyone else: Did you get a guide at Pompeii (or for the Vatican stuff)? If so, before getting there or just picking one up outside the venue? Ann

Hi, again, Ann! My strong urging is to arrange things ahead in Europe. From doing four different cruises there, it is fairly rare to have people sitting, waiting and ready to provide you a tour in most all of these Europe ports as you get off of the ship. YES in Naples and the near Pisa/Tuscany port, we had made advance arrangements in advance with RomeInLimo.

Maybe in the Carib you can do that where the local options are more limited. Europe is different is so many different ways.

BUT, if you are asking about the Vatican and Pompeii, maybe things can work out to hook up with others on the spot at the main entrance, form a group and do an inside tour. In 1999, that is what we did for Pompeii. Having a guide in these key superstar places makes a big difference for knowing what you are seeing, getting your questions answered, etc.

Is this helping? Did my Rome/Vatican history aid you, give a better perspective for how it ALL fits together, why and how?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 94,257 views.

Terry, between your amazing photography and your historical recap, I am totally blown away. Thanks for continuing to respond. Your posts (and those of others here) have been quite helpful and even more, such a fun read.

Hope your grandchildren are doing well. We have a 7.5 year old, a 3.5 yo, a 2.5 yo, and a 6 month old. Wish I could get them to sit still long enough to get some cute pictures of them. But just having them is such fun, I won't complain. :)

Ann

Terry, between your amazing photography and your historical recap, I am totally blown away. Thanks for continuing to respond. Your posts (and those of others here) have been quite helpful and even more, such a fun read. Hope your grandchildren are doing well. We have a 7.5 year old, a 3.5 yo, a 2.5 yo, and a 6 month old. Wish I could get them to sit still long enough to get some cute pictures of them. But just having them is such fun, I won't complain. Ann

Yes, Ann, our two grandsons are doing well. Just got done doing a Skype connection with Calum, the oldest, at 28 months. The other, Theo, is six months old. You are correct about the fun of grandchildren. Both grandsons are in Charlottesville, Va. Wish they were closer, but they are so interesting and will get even more fascinating as they continue to grow up. My wife and I are thinking about how doing travel and maybe cruising with them and/or the whole family can be great, exciting fun and adventure. Great to have options!!

Below are a few more visuals in and around the Vatican to give you and others ideas for your options at this great and historic Rome locations.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 94,370 views.

From inside St. Peter’s in Rome in June 2011, this is the view of the heart of this great Basilica and its magnificent dome by Michelangelo.:

RomeStPetersMainDome.jpg

The Vatican Museum, founded in the early 16th century, is among the greatest museums in the world, displaying works from an immense collection built up by the Roman Catholic Church throughout the centuries This includes including some of the most renowned classical sculptures and masterpieces of Renaissance art. Below includes a sampling from the Raphael rooms, art in the museum and some of the spectacular ceilings.:

RomeVactMusRaphaelRooms.jpg

RomeVactMusRomArt.jpg

RomeVactMusCeilingHall.jpg

Here is a small sampling of the Vatican Gardens as seen from just outside of the Vatican Museum. At the left is the Dome of St. Peter’s.:

RomeVactDomeGardenGrounds.jpg

Terry, I know you suggested booking guides in advance. Do you have any reputable sources for finding such? I want knowledgeable, easy to understand (even when they are fluent in English, the accent is sometimes so strong that they are hard to understand), and competitively priced. You could almost charge for your knowledge, you know. ;)

I hope someday to be able to do for someone what you have done for so many of us on here.

Ann

Terry, I know you suggested booking guides in advance. Do you have any reputable sources for finding such? I want knowledgeable, easy to understand (even when they are fluent in English, the accent is sometimes so strong that they are hard to understand), and competitively priced. You could almost charge for your knowledge, you know. ;) I hope someday to be able to do for someone what you have done for so many of us on here. Ann

Appreciate, Ann, your super nice comments and follow-up. For the varied ports you are visiting, the honest answer is . . . it depends!! There are several factors at play for considering what you do, with whom and how. Some ports, including Tuscany/Florence, Naples and Rome, have so many, many options that a private, small-group tour can really help improve your time-efficiency and makes things so much smoother, easier. There are also good companies, such as RomeInLimo, that can make things works well in certain of these ports/areas. In others ports, such as Dubrovnik, your number of good private tour options are more limited, can get booked up early and/or maybe not as needed in order to see and experience the best options there in that specific port.

Bottom-Line: Each of these ports are very different and one size or option does not fit all. So there is the question of do you need such a guide, such as in Venice where it is less likely to be needed. But in Venice, you might hook up on location at St. Marks with a guide who takes you up to the second level of these famed church, lessens the need to stand in line, answers questions, provides other insights at that location, etc. In the past, I have done searches on these boards, done Google.com searches, to identify some guide options in the various ports and cities. Then, I would communicate with them to see what they offer, the costs, their input, etc. Then, I will compare these potentials with what the ship offers, those costs, etc. It is ALL part of the pre-trip exploring, comparing and researching your various options for what you want to see and do versus what's available and needed.

Does this help some??

Since Venice is one a key stop for many travelers, this earlier posting on the Italy board shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 17,130 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Hi Terry,

Your photos and reviews have been so helpful in planning our western med trip (October 8 out of BCN).

We are looking at tours and are deciding between Pompeii and Herculanum (sp) as part of our Amalfi day (our group is also going to Positano and Sorrento). Since you have been to both Pompeii and Herculanum, which would you recommend? No one in our group has been to either. TIA!

Hi Terry, Your photos and reviews have been so helpful in planning our western med trip (October 8 out of BCN). We are looking at tours and are deciding between Pompeii and Herculanum (sp) as part of our Amalfi day (our group is also going to Positano and Sorrento). Since you have been to both Pompeii and Herculanum, which would you recommend? No one in our group has been to either. TIA!

From our friend in Atlanta, good questions on Pompeii and Herculanum. Each of these sites are very good and interesting. Both my wife and I, plus our Central Ohio friends traveling with us, had been to Pompeii. Below are some notes comparing these two places.

The clear conclusion is that Pompeii as the more famous city would be our first choice if we had not visited the area previously. Why? Pompeii was a much larger and more diverse city. Pompeii is so unique and historic. It gives you a keen insight about how people lived and operated during that long-ago era. My most memorable moment was in walking into Pompeii and noticing certain grooves in the stone pavement. I asked what caused that. Our guide replied: "That's from the chariots." WOW! It became very, very visual for where we were walking and what had happened here . . . so long ago!!

There is more to see there and a wider range of options, including BOTH residential and commercial stores/shops/services. That included Pompeii's house of "ladies" or women who offered, commercially, the men different "positions" for "services", etc. You know what I mean, right? In visiting this brothel house, our guide pointed to the seven different visuals on the wall that provide "customers" a choice on what position they wished to choose. They needed to use visuals there as sailors from all of the world visited Pompeii and its port in that era. They didn't speak the local language!!! But, had "needs"!! The visuals solved the translation challenges. Our guide in 1999 said on one of the wall visuals that it was the "Monica Lewinsky position". He noted that people from all over the world touring this site knew what that phrase meant, regardless of their language spoken. Interesting!!!

Another unique part with Pompeii was seeing some of the bodies that were "frozen" in place when volcano erupted and they died. You could see the facial experience at the time of that tragedy. The downside with Pompeii is that it is much more crowded and busy. Our 1999 visit to Pompeii was not too crowd for us, but it can get hot and busy there, especially during the summer and with multiple large ships in port.

Herculaneum was a nearby, smaller luxury resort town for the elite of the Roman empire. Very interesting and a nice "matched set", having already seen and done Pompeii. Only about a third of the total site has been opened up as the other above it areas are covered over by current housing/suburbs of Naples. Our guide there and pictured below was named Carmine. He was wonderful in his details and background for this seaside resort dating back to the 4th century BC. The city was thought to have been founded by or named for the legendary Hercules. This elite Roman resort was devastated by the same volcanic eruption that buried Pompeii in 79 AD. Unlike the ash and lava that devastated Pompeii, Herculaneum was covered by a torrent of mud, which protected the ruins from atmospheric agents and illegal excavators. The site was discovered by accident in the early 1700's when a well was being dug and workmen struck a stone pavement, the stage of the city's theater. Serious excavations began under Mussolini but only about eight blocks have been excavated. The rest is covered not only by rock but also by this dense, modern neighborhood. On a typical day, Pompeii will have 12,000 visitors, while Herculaneum will have 800-1200 a day. Herculaneum is closer to Naples, but does not have the train station that drops you right there at the main entrance.

Below are a few of my Pompeii pictures from our 1999 visit and June 2011 at Herculaneum.

BOTTOM LINE: Much will depend on what "depth" of history you like, need and seek. Plus, when you visit is an important factor as to the likely heat and crowds there at Pompeii. Added reactions, comments and/or questions??

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 94,693 views.

Here are some samples of what we saw in Pompeii with our guide. There are a wide variety of buildings, interiors, art and architectural objects, etc. Very interesting and super historic!!!:

PompeiiOne.jpg

PompeiiTwo.jpg

PompeiiThree.jpg

Here are two added views at Herculaneum including first the view as you are walking down the slope towards the metal bridge that connects to the actual historical site. Second is closer to the bridge and looking at another angle of this site.:

HerculWalkingTowardsBridge.jpg

HerculBridgeAcross2HistSite.jpg

In the interior of the temple or religious area at Herculaneum, here is one of the large wall graphics.:

HerculWallGraphicsRelSite.jpg

Thank you for the information and great photos! This really helps. I was already leaning toward Pompeii, since that's the "headliner" so to speak. We will be there in mid October, so hopefully crowds will be less of an issue. :D

I love the stories about the "brothel" and the Monica Lewinsky reference. Too funny! You guys were there right after all that mess, haha.

I will share your response with the rest of the group and see what everyone else thinks. Many thanks!

Thank you for the information and great photos! This really helps. I was already leaning toward Pompeii, since that's the "headliner" so to speak. We will be there in mid October, so hopefully crowds will be less of an issue. :D

I love the stories about the "brothel" and the Monica Lewinsky reference. Too funny! You guys were there right after all that mess, haha.

I will share your response with the rest of the group and see what everyone else thinks. Many thanks!

Gosh, I'm so torn. Pompeii sounds fine with me and my group....I think we will be amazed with either!

Kim

Thank you for the information and great photos! This really helps. I was already leaning toward Pompeii, since that's the "headliner" so to speak. We will be there in mid October, so hopefully crowds will be less of an issue. I love the stories about the "brothel" and the Monica Lewinsky reference. Too funny! You guys were there right after all that mess, haha. I will share your response with the rest of the group and see what everyone else thinks. Many thanks!

Scarlet and grey: I will share your response with the rest of the group and see what everyone else thinks. Many thanks! Gosh' date=' I'm so torn. Pompeii sounds fine with me and my group....I think we will be amazed with either! Kim [/quote']

Appreciate the nice comments and follow-up from both Kim and shoelover536. Being there in October should make things pretty easy as the crowds will be down/smaller and things will not be as hot with the weather. BOTH sites are great, very interesting and so historic.

For Kim, let me know your timing when planning to be there. Happy to answer any other questions or info needs. Be sure to read a little ahead to understand that background for this time period, what you are seeing, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 94,827 views.

Hi Terry!

That didn't take me long, now did it? LOL

Your original post said that your plan was to go to Cinque Terre when visiting Florence. How were you going to go about this? RomeinLimo? I really want to see this area badly, but also want to see the other closer areas (Pisa, etc). I am very excited for this port. Is there anyway there is time to do both? Can you rent a car or take a train? How long does it take to get to from the port?

Thank you!!!

Hi Terry! That didn't take me long, now did it? LOL Your original post said that your plan was to go to Cinque Terre when visiting Florence. How were you going to go about this? RomeinLimo? I really want to see this area badly, but also want to see the other closer areas (Pisa, etc). I am very excited for this port. Is there anyway there is time to do both? Can you rent a car or take a train? How long does it take to get to from the port?

Thank you!!!

For our Florida friend, the quick answers are a series of YES's. We were planning to do Cinque Terre via RomeInLimo for our small group. As I noted, the weather turned less than ideal up there that morning, they knew it and were on top of things. So, we shifted to Plan B with Lucca, Pisa, etc. That worked well, too. Still want to see Cinque Terre. That makes a very good reason to go back to Italy for our fourth visit there. And, we'll aim to find added reasons for a fifth or sixth visit there. Just need money, time and continued good health.

Is it possible to do both Cinque Terre and Pisa? That was our original plan and hope. Don't know how and if it would have worked out in the real world. Much would have depended on the "flow" as we would have done Cinque Terre. How folks felt, traffic, etc., etc. It's that old trade-off. You can try to do lots and lots. BUT, if you try to do too, too much, things become rushed and not that enjoyable. It might be possible to do it "ALL" by rental car, but that gets very complicated up and around Cinque Terre. Our driver would have dropped us at one location, we would have walked along a portion of the sea areas between villages, etc. Then picked us up farther north, etc. If you had a rental car, that becomes much tougher to do in a handy, time-efficient manner. Plus, the worries and pressures for doing it all on your own, not knowing and making all of the correct turns, etc. As I re-call, it was roughly a two-hour drive up from Livorno port to Cinque Terre. In some parts of Italy, it is much better leaving to the experts in these areas for them doing the navigating and driving. Then we can enjoy the sights without worries, relaxing, focusing on taking pictures, etc.

A series of train connections might be possible, but, again, the complications on schedules falls on your personal back. Then, there are the worries about getting back on time, making it all come together correctly, etc. From everything I had read prior, doing Cinque Terre on a single port day and location that far away is possible, but involves some logistical challenges. We've done twenty two different countries in Europe, some by cruise ship, others by our own independent driving and/or rail travel. It is all possible, maybe, but I would rate Cinque Terre as more difficult to do on your own from the Livorno port. It gets back to what works on paper versus how "real life" can play out. Doing a land adventure on your own (not involving a cruise ship stop) by car or rail has the flexibility that if you are an hour or two late getting back to your base location, it is no big deal. A 7 pm sail away at the Livorno port, however, is iron-clad, hard deadline and cannot be adjusted to compensation for traffic, weather, a wrong turn, etc. It takes time to fill up the rental car tank, drop off the vehicle, get back to the ship, get on the ship, etc. And a 7 pm sail-away means, they want you back on (not near) the ship no later than 6:30 pm. Worrying and rushing late in the day is not always fun. My wife hates those worries and/or any risks of cutting things too close.

Does this help? Any added questions?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 95,029 views.

Thank you so much! I really want to spend some time in Cinque Terre, stop by Pisa and explore Florence. But, it does seem like we will be rushed, and I don't want to be running back to the ship. I think your suggestion of hiring a car is best. If I can only talk my husband into this. We always do our own excursions every port we have been to. I know this will be quite different. We are usually maniacs and try to see everything we can!

I need to go back and read what you did while you were in Florence. We are foodies (including our 7 year old, lol) so I want to know where to eat too!

Thank you, Terry!!

Thank you so much! I really want to spend some time in Cinque Terre, stop by Pisa and explore Florence. But, it does seem like we will be rushed, and I don't want to be running back to the ship. I think your suggestion of hiring a car is best. If I can only talk my husband into this. We always do our own excursions every port we have been to. I know this will be quite different. We are usually maniacs and try to see everything we can! I need to go back and read what you did while you were in Florence. We are foodies (including our 7 year old, lol) so I want to know where to eat too!

Thank you, Terry!!

If you seek to do Cinque Terre and a brief photo stop in Pisa, maybe, if and if, that could be done during a 7 am to 7 pm port stop. However, adding in Florence, too, becomes nearly physically and logistically impossible. As per MapQuest, it is about one hour and 15-20 minutes each way from Livorno to Florence. Just from a driving standpoint, you could travel ALL of those distances in one day, but your net time to actually be there, do and enjoy each of these spectacular and wonderful places would be very, very limited. Florence is one of the great cities of the world. To do only an hour or two "drive-through" of Florence would be very frustrating and disappointing. And in early July, when things are more likely to be hotter and busier, you need more time cushion for your logistics, the crowds and congestion, seeing places, etc.

I often ask people what and how do you want to “ENJOY" and "EXPERIENCE" things in Italy and Europe? Rush-rush and gulp it down like soda pop or beer . . . OR . . . sip and savor the moment like fine wine, doing people watching, sensing an enjoyment of life and the humanity, the architecture, history and charm? It's your choice.

Not trying to be negative, just honest and realistic. Reactions?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 95,029 views.

The more I think about it, the less "rush, rush gulp it down" sounds appealing. We may just go spend the day in Cinque Terre, and "sip, and take it all in"...and pray we can return to visit other areas.

Your never negative! Thanks for thought provoking questions!

The more I think about it, the less "rush, rush gulp it down" sounds appealing. We may just go spend the day in Cinque Terre, and "sip, and take it all in"...and pray we can return to visit other areas.

Your never negative! Thanks for thought provoking questions!

Sounds like a great plan. I don't want to push people too much, BUT, it is important to consider your options and what you can do in a good, reasonable manner. You've got it well on my "hints". Clearly, we all want to do and see as much as possible. Balancing what works and making your logistics smooth are all important. Let me know any other questions.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 95,170 views.

• 2 weeks later...
sdbart: From what I've been told' date=' the Solstice was the first ship to comply (two years before it was mandatory) with the complete SOLAS 2010 regulations, including the new Safe Return to Port and the Ship is its Own Best Lifeboat regulations. If you Google Solas 2010, you can read many technical articles describing these new rules. However, the cruise lines were apparently given wiggle room in meeting the above provisions. Ships built to designs approved prior to 2010 could be exempted from all the provisions, even if built later. Many Carnival Corp ships (including their other lines) are sisters of earlier ships and could be built to earlier plans. [/quote']

cruisetrail: The Splendor and Misery of Celebrity: Eclipse and S-Class Ships Review in Pictures Page 8 "Propulsion system overview" might give you some info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1743821

For those of us who have sailed on the Solstice or these Solstice-class ships' date=' the [b']recent failures with the Carnival Triumph raise serious safety questions[/b] and major concerns. Above is some great, added info from San Diego Bart that helps answer some of the technical questions that I raised earlier on the Solstice CC Board and whether it is set-up in the same bad manner as the ill-fated Carnival Triumph. Based on that info/tip, I did some added Google searching and found this connection to a very, very comprehensive article from Cruise Business Review 3/2008. This magazine profiles goes into lots and lots of interesting details. See full article at:

http://www.cruisebusiness.com/cbr_old/images/20081217/cbr-3-2008-s-28-51.pdf

Among the highlights in this story are: "Differing from many other recent big cruise ships, the Celebrity Solstice has only four main diesel-generators, instead of five or six. The vessel’s power generation is handled by four Wärtsilä 16V46CR diesel engines, each rated at 16,800 kW at 514 rpm, arranged in a power-plant configuration supplying all the propulsion and electrical power needs onboard. The total power is 67,200kW. This is the first cruise ship in the Royal Caribbean International/Celebrity Cruises fleet with common rail fuel injection. It allows the engine to work optimally also at reduced loads, resulting in increased fuel efficiency and fewer emissions with no visible smoke, which meets international regulations for air emissions. The diesel engines are arranged in two redundant machinery spaces. The Celebrity Solstice also represents the first cruise ship fitted with Wärtsilä’s new module-based automa- tion control system UNIC. The earlier WEGS system was specifically designed for each application, whereas the UNIC system, short for Unified Controls, is based on a selection of application-based modules built on a unified embedded platform. The UNIC C3 version is used here, providing control of basic engine safety, engine control and monitoring as well as engine combustion control. The control system is bus-based to provide scalability, and has a common interface with vessel integrated automation systems for engines, pipe modules, feeder boosters and other related machinery equipment. It provides real-time diagnostics for trouble-shooting and accurate time-stamping for cause and effect analysis. The vessel has two Azipod units, each with a power of 20.5MW. Five-bladed propellers are used to reduce the induced vibrations. In order to reduce the resistance, the ship has an integrated extended duck-tail fitted with a newly developed wedge shaped interceptor. The four diesel engines are each driving an ABB main generator, providing electric power of 19,3MVA,11kV,1014A at 514rpm. ABB also supplied the two 11kV main switchboards, one aft and one forward, four 3500kVA engine room supply transformers, two 1800kVA emergency switchboard supply transformers, six 2750kVA deck substation transformers and two 1600kVA galley substation transformers, all of Resibloc-type. The Celebrity Solstice’s propulsion is provided by a pair of ABB’s 20,5MW Azipod units running at 137 rpm. The 5-bladed propellers have a diameter of 5.8 meters. The V23-type Azipod units are the most powerful units to date."

Two different main electrical switchboards sounds good and much safer. Much of this info is highly technical, but reflects the innovative ways in which these ships were designed and built in Germany. This above Cruise Business Review article has pages and pages and pages of interesting info for how this ship was put together and operates. Check it out if interested. I feel better with this background and can explain to my wife and others why there is less to worry about with the Solstice than those troubled and/or older Carnival/Costa ships.

The various pictures and details from cruisetrail are really wonderful. Brings back lots of nice memories from our June 2011 Solstice cruising and as we look forward to our Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Solstice Australia and New Zealand cruise, 14-days, from Sydney to Auckland. See much more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1743821

Yes, very good info and details, including visuals, on page eight about these power/electrical questions.

This live/blog is now over 120,000 views. Appreciate those who have dropped by, made comments, asked questions. Keep it coming!! Don't be shy. Happy to share more, especially as we are in the count-down towards our re-boarding of the Solstice in the scenic Sydney Harbor with views of their famed Opera House and Harbour Bridge.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 96,281 views.

• 2 weeks later...
Terry, On a 12 night Med cruise, what day is the grand buffet held? Thank you in advance! Yvonne from Florida

Hi, Yvonne from sunny Florida! In sunny Charlottesville, Va., today, visiting two grandsons, cute and ages 29 and seven months of age. Our Grand Buffet was on the middle sea day as we sailed from Naples to Kotor. Worked well. Busy, but fun. Below are just a couple of pictures below. More earlier on the full live/blog.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 97,730 views.

During the Brunch Buffet, here are three more of my visual samplings. First, added examples for the creativity with the many carved ice sculptures among the many salad options. Second, more on those unique flower carving creations and finally another view for passengers checking out just one of the many stations on the main floor of the large dining area.:

SolsticeCarvedFlowersIceSalads.jpg

SolsticeCarvedFlowersIceSculpt.jpg

SolsticeBuffetBreadCheesePeople.jpg

Are you planning a cruise and/or land trip to Italy this year? From USA Today this morning, they have this headline: "Rick Steves: What's new in Italy for 2013" with these highlights: "Italy has more of Europe's cultural heritage than any other country. Here is the latest, gleaned from my guidebook research for 2013: Rome has made visiting the Vatican Museum easier. You can often buy same-day, skip-the-line tickets from the tourist-information office in St. Peter's Square; it'll cost the same price you'd pay if you had reserved online (15-euro ticket plus 4-euro reservation fee). Massive crowds line up to see Florence's cathedral — the Duomo — which is free to enter. Here's how to skip the line: If you're already planning to visit the cathedral-related sights — the Duomo Museum, Baptistery, and Campanile — that require a combo-ticket to see, buy your ticket first at the less-crowded museum. You can use it to enter through the cathedral's exit, bypassing the lines at the front door."

On Venice, among the highlights noted are: "The Accademia, which is known for its great collection of Venetian Renaissance art, is open but still in a constant state of disarray, with a major expansion and renovation dragging on for years. The locations of paintings isn't yet set. The upside is that crowds have died down, so there's no longer a need to reserve a ticket in advance. To make the most of cruising Venice's Grand Canal on a public vaporetto (water bus), catch the boat at Piazzale Roma (just before the crowded train-station stop), where you'll have your choice of seats. A few boats have seats in the bow with great views; make a beeline for these."

This story has other tips for Florence, Naples, Cinque Terre, Milan, etc. Lots of good insights, tips, ideas. At the end of the story, he notes: "While the Italian economy remains unpredictable, you're guaranteed to have a memorable trip in 2013. The Italian zest for life is as timeless as its ancient monuments."

Full story from USA Today at:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2013/03/02/rick-steves-whats-new-in-italy-for-2013/1957537/

If you like Venice and its great history and architecture, check out this posting that I did with lots of pictures there. It has had over 18,630 views. Let me know any comments or questions on this unique city.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 97,730 views.

Edited by TLCOhio

Terry you should be travelling for free via Celebrity for all the great assistance you have given travellers over the years regarding your Med Cruise. I had the pleasure of being on your Solstice Med Cruise and I am still learning from you!

Len and I missed the brunch(photos on above post) and after looking at the photos of it we will be sure to catch it on our upcoming Solstice Reflection East Med Cruise.

You helped us before and during our cruise and continue to help :)

You are Awesome!!!!

Thanks and CHEERS!!

Lisa and Len

Awesome Terry! Terry, you should be travelling for free via Celebrity for all the great assistance you have given travellers over the years regarding your Med Cruise. I had the pleasure of being on your Solstice Med Cruise and I am still learning from you! Len and I missed the brunch(photos on above post) and after looking at the photos of it we will be sure to catch it on our upcoming Solstice Reflection East Med Cruise. You helped us before and during our cruise and continue to help :) You are Awesome!!!! Thanks and CHEERS!! Lisa and Len

Super appreciate the kind comments and encouragement from smart Lisa in Canada. YES! I like your idea of getting a free cruise from Celebrity. I'm game and willing to "suffer" in such a manner. Maybe once, possible more times!!

We are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, probably doing during our cruise an over-night trip to Queenstown through Celebrity and also stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back. We have a nice and active roll call going at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Welcome to Lisa and Len, plus others, to join join us for this trip and/or travel along via the web as we get prepared for that "adventure".

This posting is now over 122,000 views. Glad so many have drop by and especially to those who have made comments, asked questions, etc. Keep it rolling. As you can see, the live/blog from July 2010 along the Norway coast is approaching 100,000 views. For Australia, NZ and Hawaii in less than a year, the pressure is on to share lots of great visuals and fun commentary.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 98,461 views.

Terry,

Have enjoyed all of your pictures and commentary of your trips. Do you have just pictures of the Solstice? DS and wife are thinking about the Solstice trip for Alaska. If so , could you link them for me.

Thanks,

Phil