Solstice Live/First-Timer Reports/Pix’s: Italy/Croatian June 7-19

TLCOhio

Terry, Have enjoyed all of your pictures and commentary of your trips. Do you have just pictures of the Solstice? DS and wife are thinking about the Solstice trip for Alaska. If so , could you link them for me. Thanks, Phil

Appreciate, Phil, the nice comments. Yes, many pictures on just the Solstice are on my live/blog. But, these are spread out all through the whole posting. I will try in the next couple of days to do a posting on this Celebrity board that just features and focuses on my pictures of the ship, its features, food, entertainment, etc. Others on these board might want add more of their own, top pictures of what they like, did and captured about this ship. Plus, early next year after doing our Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Australia-New Zealand cruise on the Solstice, I will add more views and highlights from this nice ship.

Excellent idea and suggestions. After posting, let me know your reactions and added needs.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 98,461 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Lots of TV news coverage this am on the Cardinals gathering and getting ready in Rome to elect a new Pope of the Roman Catholic Church. Shows such as the NBC Today program are trying to cover "it" like American Presidential campaigns. It is a unique form of "politics" to elect a new Pope, but NOT that kind in regular campaigns. Fortunately!! No TV ads, public debates, direct mail and/or robo calls. And to win, you need to get a two-thirds vote of the 115 Cardinals there who are locked out from TV coverage, cell phone use, texting, etc.

From the travel section of the Telegraph newspaper in London Friday, they have this headline: "Rome's Sistine Chapel: 50 fascinating facts" with this small sampling of these various highlights: "The Sistine Chapel – Cappella Sistina in Italian – takes its name from the man who commissioned it, Pope Sixtus IV: “Sixtus” in Italian is “Sisto”. Some 25,000 people a day, or five million people a year, visit the chapel. Entry to the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel costs €16, an annual revenue for the Vatican of around €80 million or £70 million a year. Sisto’s chapel had the same dimensions, as described in the Old Testament, as the Temple of Solomon on Jerusalem’s Temple Mount. Sisto conducted the first Mass in the chapel on August 15, 1483. For such an important building the Sistine Chapel is remarkably plain outside – a high, block-like rectangular brick building without adornment. It has no grand façade and no processional entrance door: all entry points are internal, from other parts of the Papal Palace."

There are 44 other interesting details related to the Sistine Chapel in this news/travel article. This includes: "In 1978, Karol Wojtyla (John Paul II) was the first non-Italian pope to be elected by a conclave in 455 years." Below are a few of my pictures of this famed chapel and related to Pope John Paul II during our June 2011 visit to Rome during our Solstice cruise detailed below on the the live/blog connection.

Good luck to those with upcoming visits to Rome and cruises in Italy this year.

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/italy/rome/9917841/Romes-Sistine-Chapel-50-fascinating-facts.html

If you like Venice and its great history and architecture, check out this posting that I did with lots of pictures there. It has had over 19,012 views. Let me know any comments or questions on this unique city.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here are two samples of Michelangelo's ceiling frescoes in the Sistine Chapel. This is is the best-known chapel in the Apostolic Palace, the official residence of the Pope in Vatican City. This work was done between 1508 and 1512. First is a wider picture showing that this room is more than just the ceiling that is elaborately decorated. It includes the walls, floors, etc. The second picture focuses more on the center part with the famed image of the hand of God giving life to Adam. This often crowded chapel is 134' long by 44' wide, the dimensions of the Temple of Solomon. The vaulted ceiling rises to 68'.:

RomeSistineChapelCeiling.jpg

RomeSistineChCeilingCloser.jpg

Inside St. Peter’s Basilica, this is a portion of the main floor area for where the body of the late Pope John Paul II has been moved. On May 3, 2011, he was give this new resting place in the marble altar in Pier Paolo Cristofari's Chapel of St. Sebastian. This prominent location is next to the Chapel of the Pieta. They completed this change as he was elevated and moves towards Sainthood. Crowds were big and busy inside this huge Cathedral, the world's largest.:

RomePopeJPIINewSiteMainFloor.jpg

Some nice photos and I liked the combination of, "the historic walled city of Lucca, then doing a brief stop in Pisa for you know what, then going to San Gimignano."

You can do Lucca and Pisa by train from the port of Livorno. I suggested this to a fellow traveller when my intention was to cach the train to Florence, but he easily did the two and was grateful I suggested it.

• 2 weeks later...
Some nice photos and I liked the combination of, "the historic walled city of Lucca, then doing a brief stop in Pisa for you know what, then going to San Gimignano." You can do Lucca and Pisa by train from the port of Livorno. I suggested this to a fellow traveller when my intention was to cach the train to Florence, but he easily did the two and was grateful I suggested it.

cruiseclues: Thanks for the outstanding photo review...extremely enjoyable.

Appreciate the added' date=' good comments and kind, smart feed-back. [i']This posting is now over 125,000 views.[/i] Glad so many, many have dropped by, made comments, asked questions, etc.!! Keep it coming!!

Yes, there are lots of logistical options from the Livorno port. We liked the flexibility and less worries with a private tour we did in our small group with RomeInLimo. We didn't have to worry on our connection details and/or traffic, etc. The big, BIG danger in this port is that there is so super much to do in this area. Can't even do a quarter of "IT" during one port day. Then, people want to try to do lots and lots. Only, HOWEVER, so much time!! And, you need time to explore and see such great towns as Lucca and Florence, etc. You can't just do a "drive through" and/or stop for 15 minutes and say you were there.

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 2,110 views for this shorter version started late last week of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

From CBS-TV news (and the AP) yesterday, they have this headline: "Pope Francis visits St. Peter's tomb under Vatican" with these highlights: "Pope Francis on Monday took an emotional, close-up look at the tomb of Peter, the church's first pontiff, buried beneath St. Peter's Basilica. Francis became the first pontiff to visit the necropolis, where pagans and early Christians were buried. The 45-minute 'visit of devotion to the tomb of St. Peter' was private, but the Vatican later released a video of it. The new pope 'paused in silent prayer, in profound and emotional meditation' in the Clementine Chapel in the vast basilica that is 'the closest place (in the basilica) to the tomb of the Prince of the Apostles,' it said. During a tour of the necropolis conducted by its director and an Italian cardinal, the pope 'climbed up a bit, got closer to the place where the tomb of St. Peter lies, exactly under the central altar and the dome of the basilica,' the Vatican said. Francis walked down the entire main street of the ancient city of the dead. The streets of the necropolis are similar to those of ancient Rome, only they are flanked by tombs instead of shops and apartments."

The below photos and the above story description give a good idea for the "look" and design for the parts of this Scavi area that we were fortunate to have experienced in June 2011.

Full AP story with many more details on this historic area can be found at:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57577341/pope-francis-visits-st-peters-tomb-under-vatican/

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 125,631 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

In June 2011, we did our private tour of the super historic Scavi under the Basilica and its lower grotto, seeing some of the crypts and this chapel below the main area. Below is a picture of another “visitor” experiencing the Clementine Chapel located within the underground necropolis grottoes of Saint Peter's Basilica in Vatican City. It’s the new Pope!! Below are other pictures of Pope Francis visiting this area. They allowed pictures to be taken of the Pope, but not us to do such photography there. I can understand why the Pope has different rules than what we were able to do. According to Catholic tradition, the area is the actual site where Saint Peter the Apostle was invertedly crucified and his blood was shed to the ground. The site is encased in the gilded altar and has a marble chest which contained the bones believed to be Saint Peter. The chest is considered by Catholic pilgrims to be the holiest part of the archeological basilica. The altar structure of the chapel was formally consecrated in 1123. A notable feature of the chapel are the ornate bronze sculptures located in the chapel commemorating certain biblical scenes. The chapel is the holiest site in the basilica, and the prime reason why the basilica was constructed in the first place. The area was once called Vatican Hill in honor of the ancient Etruscan worship of pagan deity. The area was once used as a Roman cemetery. The bones believed to be of Saint Peter are now presently enshrined at the underground balcony below Bernini's canopy, and under Michaelangelo's dome.:

RomePopeLowerChapel_zps9c829fcc.jpg

RomePopeNecropolisWide_zps8d53fbb9.jpg

RomePopeNecropolisExamineIPad_zps6edbf404.jpg

RomePopeNecropolisVerticalWalking_zps4a31e6e1.jpg

Hi Terry,

I have just spent the last 2 days going thru all your Posts and pictures. Wonderful!! I just happened on this site as i was surfing CC for our upcoming cruise Sept. 26/13, for our 40th Wedding Anniv. Happy 41st to you this year! We are on Shiloutte (first time on Celebrity) 3rd time to Europe. We will be doing mostly the Greek Isles. Do you have any info on getting from FCO airport to the cruise port not by train? We will also be leaving the ship in Venice after an overnight, and staying in a local B&B Acquavenice in Cannaregio area overnight then a flight 8:45am home. How do you think we should proceed with our luggage to the B&B then getting to the airport early the next morning. I think we are about 10-15 minutes from the B&B to the train station. We have been to Venice on day trips before, but not had to leave to fly out from there. We are so looking forward to cruising Celebrity and discovering what they are all about! There are 4 of us doing the cruise portion of the trip, but just my DH and i will be doing a week in Sicily (his parents birth place) before we fly to FCO. Any suggestions would be helpfull? I certainly hope my pictures/camera does this trip justice!! Loved all of yours!........Sherry

Hi Terry, I have just spent the last 2 days going thru all your Posts and pictures. Wonderful!! I just happened on this site as i was surfing CC for our upcoming cruise Sept. 26/13, for our 40th Wedding Anniv. Happy 41st to you this year! We are on Shiloutte (first time on Celebrity) 3rd time to Europe. We will be doing mostly the Greek Isles. Do you have any info on getting from FCO airport to the cruise port not by train? We will also be leaving the ship in Venice after an overnight, and staying in a local B&B Acquavenice in Cannaregio area overnight then a flight 8:45am home. How do you think we should proceed with our luggage to the B&B then getting to the airport early the next morning. I think we are about 10-15 minutes from the B&B to the train station. We have been to Venice on day trips before, but not had to leave to fly out from there. We are so looking forward to cruising Celebrity and discovering what they are all about! There are 4 of us doing the cruise portion of the trip, but just my DH and i will be doing a week in Sicily (his parents birth place) before we fly to FCO. Any suggestions would be helpfull? I certainly hope my pictures/camera does this trip justice!! Loved all of yours!........Sherry

Appreciate, Sherry, your very kind and nice comments on my pictures and postings. Congrats on your upcoming 40th wedding anniversary.

On your airport questions, I have only done a trip going from main Rome out to their distant airport. I have not done from the airport to the ship docking area. I would Google the airport in Rome and see what their website shows for that linkage and those options. Clearly a cab is possible and will get you and your luggage there in an easy, simple manner. Are you flexible on your budget? There is probably some type of shuttle bus also possible, but that might not be as handy, easy and quick compared to just grabbing a cab.

For Venice, the good news about their airport there is that it is fairly small and not as far away as what you have to deal with in the sprawling Rome area. The most costly option is to have a water taxi taking you directly from the B&B to the airport. BUT, that can be fairly expensive. If you can walk and/or connect to near the train station, then there will be cabs available there that can take you to the airport. I don't know those costs. Again, you can Google the Venice airport and there should be information on their website about those "getting there" options to look at and consider.

Part of it comes down to what is more valuable and important to you . . . your time or your money? You can make these connections, it's just a choice on what is cheaper versus what is easier/quicker. Any other questions?

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 2,446 views for this shorter version started late last week of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

Edited by TLCOhio

• 1 month later...

Thank you so very, very much. I just love our reviews and pictures. You present it so that it is an enjoyable trip for our reader rather than the way so many critics/reviewers do. They present their information attempting to impress with their knowledge and we end up missing the joy of just being there.

Thank you so very, very much. I just love our reviews and pictures. You present it so that it is an enjoyable trip for our reader rather than the way so many critics/reviewers do. They present their information attempting to impress with their knowledge and we end up missing the joy of just being there.

dln929: You will be pleased to know that the menus for the specialty restaurants will be changing. I have that direct from the Food and Beverage Director of the Equinox' date=' and the Maitre' d of Murano. [/quote']

Appreciate so much the nice comments from Alecs Gram. Happy to know that I captured that "JOY" for being there and discovering these great places.

From dln929 above on another CC board, here is a tip on potential changes coming for the Solstice and these other ships with the speciality restaurants. Glad to hear it from you. Will look forward to hearing more from others as they/we learn any other details!!

Yesterday this live/blog from our June 2011 Solstice sailing in the Med went over the 130,000 view level. Glad to have those dropping by, asking questions, etc. Plan to do a live/blog with lots of pictures from our Australia-NZ-Hawaii-Solstice adventures in early 2014. This includes our Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland Solstice cruise. Look forward to sharing many items of interests on the Solstice and from these wonderful areas/ports, etc.

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 5,885 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

Edited by TLCOhio

carrao: Anyone suggest company that provided a great private tour in Venice? My husband and I are going to Venice in September as a part of a RCL 12 day cruise. It has always been my dream location to visit and although I see lots of postings saying it's easy to DIY tour' date=' I'm looking for that local who can tell us about different points of interest and take us to the "must see must do" spots. Any suggestions? [/quote']

Above is question asked on a thread on the Italy board. I don't have any tour guides or companies to suggest. It's so easy to do on your own, that we have not needed to do that during our three visit to Venice. Might contact their tourism office for suggested firms. That website is:

http://en.turismovenezia.it/Venezia/

From the Sunday morning New York Times Tmagazine section, they have this feature and headline: "Fairgoer’s Guide to Venice’s Other Attractions" with these opening highlights: "Some people live for Venice in May. For many, it means bottomless Prosecco on the warm, breezy esplanade of the Zattare; for others, it signifies the beginning of the Venice Biennale, one of the world’s most important contemporary art events, held once every two years. While many attendees come primarily to ponder esoteric installations at various pavilions, anyone in town for the big opening week should make to time to discover what’s new and classic in Venice, no matter when the party ends."

A variety of dining, drinking and shopping places are spotlighted in this profile. This includes these two place to eat and enjoy:

Osteria di Santa Marina: This respected (and pricey) osteria, just steps away from Marco Polo’s house, could have a Michelin star but balks at the idea. The tiny two-room eatery started as a modest blue-collar lunch spot serving simple sandwiches and pastas. Today, the menu looks something like this: scallop carpaccio topped with foie gras shavings and sauterne jelly. A far cry from its humble roots, but worth every penny. Campo Santa Marina, 5911; +39 041 528 5239; osteriadisantamarina.com.

Ristorante Quadri: The Alajmo family take cooking seriously, which is why both of their restaurants — Le Calandre in Padova and Ristorante Quadri in Venice — are studded with Michelin stars. For this year’s Venice Biennale, Ristorante Quadri opens its doors to pavilion-weary visitors, offering aperitifs that include chef Max Alajmo’s riff on classic Venetian cocktails, like the Verdini, a Bellini made from centrifuged apple and celery juice and topped with Prosecco. Piazza San Marco 121; +39 041 522 2105; caffequadri.it.

Full story at:

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/17/travel-essentials-the-fairgoers-guide-to-venices-other-attractions/

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 106,923 views.

• 4 weeks later...

I just discovered your wonderful blog today. I am doing all of these ports (plus some) in October and was delighted to find your descriptions of the ports, all the wonderful information and beautiful photo's. I am not even sure how I found this....think I had just decided to take a look at some Celebrity posts and one post led to another.Have you thought about posting a link to this in the Ports of Call Forum? It would be most helpful to people not on Celebrity but cruising to Europe. This blog was the first info I have found on Kotor. Thanks for giving me a wonderful afternoon!

Tomorrow I am going to read your blog on Venice, and Live/Silver Cloud: Norway and if I still have some time your Baltics/Picture Secrets. Good thing I am retired!

You are better than a travel book!

Hi Terry in Ohio

I have been reading through your reveiw and looking at all your AMAZING photos, you have done a FABULOUS job at putting it all together.

We are heading off in October on the Silhouette and I hope that you do not find this to be a strange question, so hear goes......Do you recall if there where model ships in the shops on board, we have collected them before on cruies that we have taken they are normally pewter type metal mounted on a little bit of wood.

Thanks in advance and thanks again for the fabulous review.

Cheers

Donna

I just discovered your wonderful blog today. I am doing all of these ports (plus some) in October and was delighted to find your descriptions of the ports, all the wonderful information and beautiful photo's. I am not even sure how I found this....think I had just decided to take a look at some Celebrity posts and one post led to another.Have you thought about posting a link to this in the Ports of Call Forum? It would be most helpful to people not on Celebrity but cruising to Europe. This blog was the first info I have found on Kotor. Thanks for giving me a wonderful afternoon! Tomorrow I am going to read your blog on Venice, and Live/Silver Cloud: Norway and if I still have some time your Baltics/Picture Secrets. Good thing I am retired! You are better than a travel book!

Cruisin D: Hi Terry in Ohio. I have been reading through your reveiw and looking at all your AMAZING photos' date=' you have done a FABULOUS job[/b'] at putting it all together. We are heading off in October on the Silhouette and I hope that you do not find this to be a strange question, so hear goes......Do you recall if there where model ships in the shops on board, we have collected them before on cruies that we have taken they are normally pewter type metal mounted on a little bit of wood. Thanks in advance and thanks again for the fabulous review. Cheers. Donna

Appreciate so much the nice and very kind comments from Anne and Donna. It's been fun doing this sharing and especially to get good comments and great follow-up questions. Keep it coming!!

On some of the port/regional boards, such for visiting Kotor, Venice, Dubrovnik, Athens, etc., I have done added posts that contain certain of the info and pictures to help travelers visiting to there. Some people use the "search" function to find this info and these posts, but there is a better way for people to discover these posts. As people, like both of you, post questions and/or comments here that keeps these threads up higher and more visible to others.

For Donna's good question on potentially purchasing ship models, my response is . . . not sure, don't remember. Sorry! My guess and hope would be that they would offer such items in the ship gift shop. I'm not that much of a shopper (like to take pictures better as that's cheaper and more fun for me!). BUT, I do vaguely recall that they had a number of ship-related shirts, clothing and other items of about the Solstice in the one shop on the ship. If by chance, nothing is available on the ship for a model you seek, I would do a Google search for "Silhouette models" and I am sure some vendors out there offers such an item for purchase. Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruises.

Always happy to have more good questions, comments and sharing of interests/info.

ALSO for Donna who lives in Australia, we are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, doing the mid-cruise ship over-night trip to and in Queenstown and then stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back. We have a nice and super active roll call going at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Where do you live in Australia and any special tips, secrets, ideas, etc., do you have to share?? It's been great fun learning more about all things in these two unique and special countries with great natural, scenic backgrounds.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 110,075 views.

Edited by TLCOhio

Hi Terry in Ohio

I have been reading through your reveiw and looking at all your AMAZING photos, you have done a FABULOUS job at putting it all together.

We are heading off in October on the Silhouette and I hope that you do not find this to be a strange question, so hear goes......Do you recall if there where model ships in the shops on board, we have collected them before on cruies that we have taken they are normally pewter type metal mounted on a little bit of wood.

Thanks in advance and thanks again for the fabulous review.

Cheers

Donna

They usually have them in the shops but they are much larger and are more of a resin material and look exactly like the ship, including the color.

"guccigoo" posted a link on the 8/9 Equinox thread for your thread... and WOW... what a great experience you gave us! We have been to most, but this was such a walk down memory lane and also some new "virtual" experiences... thank you so much, fantastic pictures and commentary.

"guccigoo" posted a link on the 8/9 Equinox thread for your thread... and WOW... what a great experience you gave us! We have been to most, but this was such a walk down memory lane and also some new "virtual" experiences... thank you so much, fantastic pictures and commentary.

Ma Bell: They usually have them in the shops but they are much larger and are more of a resin material and look exactly like the ship' date=' including the color. [/quote']

Appreciate the great and kind comments from hmsdos. Glad this posting has been shared and is helping others get a good preview for what they will enjoy on the Equinox this year in these wonderful areas.

Glad that the always helpful Ma Bell was helpful with the added background on the ship model options available on the shops on board.

Keep the good comments and questions rolling along.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 110,214 views.

• 1 month later...

From the New Zealand Herald in Auckland earlier this week, they have this headline: "A murderer's tour of Venice" with a wide variety of interesting highlights as this NZ writer meets a famous author in Venice.

Here is more from that meeting, the discussions: "I know what she looks like because I have seen her photo inside the covers of 23 thrillers. 'Donna Leon!' The stern look on my favourite crime writer's face melts into a smile, we shake hands and move out of the cold into the Cafe Rosa Salva. This is the bar where her hero, Commissario Guido Brunetti, often drops in for a spritzer after a hard day shuffling papers. The American has been living in Venice for 30 years, after first visiting Rome 47 years ago. Leon got lucky when she settled in Venice and took a teaching job at the university. She was at La Fenice opera house one night with a friend (a conductor) and started fantasising about 'what would happen if you killed a conductor here'. She wrote Death at La Fenice, sent it to a writing competition a year later and won. She got a contract to write more books and today she can boast, modestly of course, of what she calls 'the European success' and financial independence. Leon's books not only possess perceptive descriptions of the Venetian lifestyle, ambience, food, drink and murder, they give her a sounding board to vent, mainly via the ethos of Brunetti and his eco-warrior daughter Chiara, her frustrations about what ails the city. 'Venice is a victim of mindless mass tourism,' she almost hisses. 'I don't know why people come here. It sounds like super-snobbery but it's not. People bus in and bus out. They go to the Rialto, they go to San Marco, then they leave. They go to Rome for one day, then Florence, then Venice. Why bother? It's consumerism, not tourism. I've got nothing against tourism. - it's good to go to places where there is a different way of doing things from what you do. It makes it real to you that people who don't think or dress or act like you is completely legitimate.' If there's one thing that gets Leon more steamed up than the bus visitors, it's the huge cruise ships coming into Venice, sometimes bringing in as many as 35,000 passengers per day. The canals and lagoon edges all around the Venetian region are noticeably choked by nasty green weed. 'This is an Asian form of seaweed [called undaria pinnatifidaea] brought into the Adriatic as ballast on a ship. It wasn't here three years ago. Ten years ago there was a similar invasion and the city had little boats with rakes that scooped up the weed but there has been no effort to clean it up this time. At low tide there are vast areas of the Laguna that are blocked but cause-effect doesn't seem to register with politicians.' "

Don't know this particular author, but I super love the summary, highlights noted, etc. Thought I would share here for those planning upcoming travel to Venice.

Full story at:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/article.cfm?c_id=7&objectid=10901533

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 113,412 views.

Thanks for the tip Terry, I just downloaded "Death at La Fenice"I have spent time studying in Venice and it is still one of my favorite places. I am also guilty of spending 2 days onboard a cruise ship. Still loved it because I stayed away from the obvious touristy spots.

By the way thanks to your wonderful photos and reviews we had a clearer idea of where we wanted to go during our Norwegian Fjords cruise. Have you done the British Isles cruise. We signed up for it for next July. If you have, I'd love to see photos, review.

Thanks for the tip Terry, I just downloaded "Death at La Fenice". I have spent time studying in Venice and it is still one of my favorite places. I am also guilty of spending 2 days onboard a cruise ship. Still loved it because I stayed away from the obvious touristy spots. By the way thanks to your wonderful photos and reviews we had a clearer idea of where we wanted to go during our Norwegian Fjords cruise. Have you done the British Isles cruise. We signed up for it for next July. If you have, I'd love to see photos, review.

So appreciate your nice comments on Venice, my Norway fjord visuals, etc. Glad that was helpful. On your question about the British Isles, we have not done a cruise to see such scenic sights. BUT, we have done a number of land trips and stops in and around the UK and Ireland. Which ports would your cruise visit? We have done four different trips to London, plus the Cotswolds, south of London, Scotland, northern Wales, west coast of Ireland, Dublin, York, Bath, etc., etc.

Tell me more and I can share added info, if that's helpful. Below are just a few sample visuals. Can share more. The trade-offs? Some of the great options are there and near where a ship will dock at various ports. BUT, many other super-stars in these areas are farther inland and can be better scene and explored by land/car and/or rail exploring. Lots of interesting history, charm, character, beauty, etc., there in both the UK and Ireland. Either way can work. Much depends on what you want to see and do.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 113,458 views.

From the London "Eye" wheel, it offers great views of the key sights and sites:

LondonEyeView.jpg

At Dublin’s Trinity College, here is a distinctive statute in the center of this campus founded in 1592 by Queen Elizabeth I.:

DublinTrinityStatute.jpg

In the area of northern Wales, here is one of my visual samples for what all is there to see and enjoy. Lots of very good options! Below is a Snowdonia National Park bridge and mountains.:

WalesSnowdenBridgeRiver.jpg

From Edinburgh, the historic castles dominates the view as seen from this park area below.:

ScotlandEdinbCastlePark.jpg

The Firth of Forth Bridge, nine miles west of Edinburgh, was opened in 1890 and it is 8,296 feet long.

ScotlandTwoBridges.jpg

Here’s a sample of the fun from the country-focused Cotswolds, including the spectacular Blenheim Palace where Winston Churchill was born and many films have been shot. Saw the current Duke of Blenheim and his wife while touring there.:

CotswoldBlenheimPal.jpg

Appreciate those who have checked out this live/blog. It's now over 137,000 views. THANKS!

From the National Post in Canada late last week, they have this headline: "If Venice is sinking, will the tourists want to swim?" with these highlights: "In Andreas Pichler’s The Venice Syndrome, you can’t see the pigeons in Piazza San Marco for the tourists. The moment the first morning barge disgorges, the cobblestone streets and Rialto bridge are thronged, not with the dwindling 58,000 residents but with an equal number of daily visitors (in 2012, 20 million tourists took in the sinking city’s sights). Elderly resident Tiziano reminisces about the days when people travelled less to cross sights off their bucket lists than to imbibe a culture and place, when two-week visits were the norm. Nowadays, he says, Venice daytrippers, 'take a quick look around and go back home.' There is no longer an off-season. Pichler captures the sense of resignation from all angles, through several residents. Onetime celebrity gondolier Giorgio fondly recalls how he squired Joan Crawford and taught actors how to look like authentic gondoliers for Dino Risi’s film Venice, The Moon and You. The sinking morale due to tourism is metaphorical, but the physical effects of the island’s decay are not. Physically, the once-grand and gilded palazzi are crumbling and damaged, in part due to slapshod and inept restoration efforts and a local realtor worries about the hypocrisy of what he is selling. Venice may be sinking and progressively wetter, but its property market is on fire. In a city where where prices run about 12,000 Euros per square meter Flavio, a lifelong resident and freight mover faces the bitter irony of moving himself: he is one of many being priced out of their hometown and has been evicted in favour of more lucrative seasonal tenants."

There is a movie trailer as a part of this movie review. Interesting sights and great questions for how Venice works and considers options to preserve this great treasure.

Full story at:

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/07/25/the-venice-syndrome-reviewed-if-venice-is-sinking-will-the-tourists-want-to-swim/

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at over 9,121 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

Beautiful photos Terry, thank you and for your advice too. I hope you are making books on blurb or other sites of your travels, my daughter has made some really beautiful ones. I bet a publisher would be interested. I know I would. I am looking forward to your trip down under next year. We used to live in Sydney for a few years and know the region pretty well.

Nely

Beautiful photos Terry, thank you and for your advice too. I hope you are making books on blurb or other sites of your travels, my daughter has made some really beautiful ones. I bet a publisher would be interested. I know I would. I am looking forward to your trip down under next year. We used to live in Sydney for a few years and know the region pretty well. Nely

Appreciate your kind comments and encouragement on doing some book publishing. Nice option to consider. Today's technology to turn your trips into books is great, but not sure that there is really that much of a "market" with that many want to actually buy it. Book publishing these days is more challenging.

YES, we are looking forward for our Aussie "adventure", plus the time in New Zealand, doing Hawaii down and back, etc. It will be about a whole month of travel, 15 different air flights, etc. I'll do a live/blog on the Celebrity board. Hope to get some good interests, questions, kind comments. In Charlottesville, Va., now with our two grandsons. The youngest just turned one year old. The older will be three years old in two months. Fun!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 114,678 views.

• 4 weeks later...

Appreciate so much those who have continued to drop by this live/blog. This weekend, it just went past the 140,000+ level of views. Great to have continued interest. Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Today, we are just 148 days until we will be boarding the Solstice in super scenic Sydney harbor. It will be good to see the Solstice again, check out how it is doing, being maintained, etc. This time, however, we will be benefiting from the 1-2-3-Go free beverage package. Lots of drinks, wines and beers to taste, test and evaluate. We have a nice and super active roll call going at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Welcome to any who want to join us for this trip and/or travel along via the web as we get prepared for that "adventure". In Jan. 2014, I will start another live/blog as we travel to Hawaii on our way to Australia and the Solstice adventure, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, Sydney to Auckland, NZ.

It has been very sad what happened (and didn't with the power systems) on the Celebrity Mellennium in Alaska. Many of the posters, including those on this ill-fated ship, have been very helpful and made interesting posts as things were going down. The positive is that there has been discussions about insurance, what worked and what did not. Some have made the real point as to why they/we would not want to use Celebrity's or another cruise line's in-house "insurance". A key reason to avoid that in-house option is the fact that their coverage is much more limited for what is covered regarding your various pre and post cruise travels, transportation, etc. Our upcoming, Solstice Sydney to Auckland, NZ, involves lots of travel and stops prior to and after our cruise. I want protection for that travel, too!! Here's what I have done and why as I have shared on our roll call for our upcoming down under adventure:

In the past, we have used the website:

http://www.insuremytrip.com

to compare a number of different companies and coverage/policy types for what is offered, the costs, ratings of companies, etc.

Then, we focused on

http://www.travelexinsurance.com

as their value, ratings and offering of PRIMARY medical coverage is best (versus getting stuck with a company that only did "secondary" medical payments), was only B rated by A.M. Best, etc.

Our current policy is called "TravelLite" and on such a Celebrity Millennium cruise scrubbing, we would be covered up to $750 per person to help pay for such losses/costs in added hotel costs, re-booking airline fees, etc., if we got stuck into this type of a situation as had affected those on this ill-fated Alaska cruise. Travelex also has a little higher-priced product line that covers up to a $1000 per person for such costs/losses, plus other extras. A cruise line is considered a "common carrier" and such "mechanical" issues would trigger such protections, if and IF, etc.

Here's another tip to save money! With most all of the other independent insurance options, you do not need to buy coverage for the full amount of ALL costs with your cruise, flights, pre and post travel, etc., etc. Your amount of coverage/protection on medical care, med evacuation, trip interruption, lost baggage, etc., is the same regardless whether you buy a travel insurance policy to cover a potential loss of $1000, $5000 or $10,000. For us, our air flights are on Amer. Air Frequent Flyer points. If we had to cancel our cruise due to a medical problem and/or family emergency, our air flights points can be put back and our net "loss" is very, very minimal. We don't have any reason or need to cover our air costs if circumstances would force a scrubbing of this cruise between our Nov. 7 pay-up date and the sailing in mid January.

BOTTOM LINE: There are lots of options and cost/coverage options to consider. BUT, get some coverage AND consider the "details" to get the right fit for the "balance" and trade-offs for your specific needs versus budget.

Reactions, added inputs, sharing for others? Check these insurance details carefully in what you are doing, picking!! Different companies and varied policies will do and cover things in other ways.

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at over 9,820 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

• 2 months later...

Wow! Can't believe I just found this review that's over two years old. This is one of the best reviews I've ever read! Your pictures are incredible! We did a similar itinerary in 2010 so these pictures bring back wonderful memories. We overnight end in Venice and I just fell in love with it -I want to return so bad! We also did a mix of private tours, on our own tours and one ships tour. We used Rome in Limo in Rome and Florence/Pisa and I could not be more pleased with them. We used All Around Italy with Fabrizio for Positano/Pompeii. He is absolutely hysterical! What a fun time. We also ate high up overlooking Positano. And another private tour I highly recommend is Tour Designer in Provence with Catherine. She is a wonderful person and so knowledgeable. I see you are doing an Australia trip in 2014 - really looking forward to reading about it and seeing your beautiful pictures!