iPad rental

robgvic

I especially like to label them because I'll never remember which location I was at by the time I got home. I like the small size compared to the laptop. Have you been content with this feature?

I have, but I don't organize or otherwise manipulate the photos until we're home.

My routine is to copy the photos I took that day to the iPad while we're getting cleaned up and ready for the evening. I usually spend a bit of time reviewing the photos. Then I'll erase the camera's memory card so it's ready for the next day. Then once we're home I import the photos in to iPhoto on my Mac and assign keywords (so they're easy to find later). I sometimes use iPhoto's editing feature to brighten, darken, adjust the color -- whatever is necessary.

Then I use iWeb to publish selected photos to my web site. Then send that URL to friends and family -- that way I don't have to send the pictures via email -- they can view them (if they want to) on my web site.

I just called Apple and found out that for $9.99 I could download Iphoto. Since that has been my main concern with the Ipad it looks like I will be traveling with an ipad instead of a laptop.:D

I just returned (about 2 hours ago :D) from the Golden to Alaska and brought only my iPad with me. Here's some things I used it for:

1. To transfer my pictures from my sd card and enlarge. It allowed us to tell that brown specs in the tree really were bears
  2. To carry maps and information on all our ports of call. Before we left, I downloaded pdf's on the Yukon, Ketchikan, and Juneau. We referred to them often and didn't waste any paper.
  3. To journal thoughts and things that I wanted to remember about the trip
  4. To carry knitting patterns that I could annotate with progress.
  5. To play games with family and friends (like scrabble, etc)

I didn't need an internet connection to do any of these things. Things I didn't do on this cruise (because I gave myself a real vacation), but have done on other trips when I'm working:

1. Written blog entries and worked on articles
  2. Do spreadsheet work
  3. Check email and social networking sites
  4. Read books and magazines (one note here: I still prefer reading books on my kindle over the iPad - don't love the backlighting, but will read on the iPad over DTBs).
  5. Watch movies or tv programs
  6. Work interactively with clients via skype

One other note: how to meet new friends and get great service while on a Princess cruise: Bring your Zaggmate bluetooth keyboard (I'm not a fan of capacitive keyboards, so bought one just before I left on the cruise). Every time I took it out I attracted a crowd of both passengers and crew. My family joked that next time I need to bring a supply to sell while we're at sea :).

I've just recently stopped using my laptop when traveling and find that I can do almost anything on the ipad; with 1 huge exception - I have the camera connection kit which has a usb connection; it doesn't recognize any usb other than pictures. It didn't recognize the usb drive with the princess pictures on it (has something to do with the folders). Now that I'm home I'm looking for an app that will allow reading and uploading of usb files to the iPad.

I just called Apple and found out that for $9.99 I could download Iphoto. Since that has been my main concern with the Ipad it looks like I will be traveling with an ipad instead of a laptop.:D

As far as I know there is no iPhoto app for the iPad, at least not named iPhoto and not from Apple. There's an iPhoto app on the Mac App store that runs on Macintosh computers, the cost is $14.99.

But, the iPad comes with an app named Photos and it's where photos are stored (photos that you take with the iPad's built-in camera or photos that you've synced from a desktop computer).

Hi

Supposing one rented an ipad and really liked it, do the shops on board (in my case Pacific Princess) sell these? I suspect the answer is no as they can't sell everything ;). But, for those of us from the UK, the US price would make this an attractive option.:)

Marilyn

Hi

Supposing one rented an ipad and really liked it, do the shops on board (in my case Pacific Princess) sell these? I suspect the answer is no as they can't sell everything ;). But, for those of us from the UK, the US price would make this an attractive option.:)

Marilyn

You need to be aware of the configuration of the iPad..here in the USA we have the ATT one and the Verizon one. Do not know which service you use in the UK so need to be mindful of that.

You need to be aware of the configuration of the iPad..here in the USA we have the ATT one and the Verizon one. Do not know which service you use in the UK so need to be mindful of that.

Thanks grandmaa, I hadn't thought of that - that would indeed be a consideration, especially for the 3G version. :)

Archived