P&S - Nikon Coolpix p7000 vs Fuji F550 EXR

Jade13

For the DSLR, I prefer the Black Rapid style sling straps. I have a Quick Rapid brand, which is somewhat of a knock-off of the Black Rapid. The Black Rapid is around $50~$70, which is pretty expensive for a strap, but they are made in the USA.

The Quick, on the other hand is made-in-China, but they work very well. I bought mine (and one for my son) on eBay for under $20 each. Do a search on "quick black rapid", and you will see plenty of straps you can choose from.

These straps all mount to the camera's tripod screw, and when I am using my bazooka sized telephoto lens, the strap can mount to the lens itself. This provides better balance, takes the stress off the camera, and is a lot more comfortable to carry around than a 5lbs of camera and lens hanging from your neck.

I like these types better than the Op/Tech sling strap as I think the tripod mount is more secure than the side-release buckles the Op/Tech strap uses - especially when I am carrying the "bazooka".

I will sometimes use a neck strap with the DSLR; just depends on where I am and what I am doing. I use mostly Tamrac straps, but I did buy a nifty Tenba "Super Bungee" strap that has a cool suspension system. I had to modify it for use with the Tamrac type quick release buckles, but I have a commercial sewing machine, so it is not a problem for me to do so.

http://www.amazon.com/Tenba-SuperBungee-631-523-Camera-Strap/dp/B003HIXH8Y/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1310132803&sr=1-5

The Tenba neck strap has a bungee cord integraded into the center part, which provides a suspension, and it seems to be an improvement, but since there is still weight hanging from my neck, it is still a strain.

But for the P7000, I prefer a neck strap as the camera is light enough to be little strain around my neck, and it seems to want to bounce too much when using a sling type strap. I like to carry the camera low on my hip on the sling strap, but with the lighter P7000, it bounces around too much. I am sure it is because of my preferred low position of the strap.

At any rate, the Op/Tech mini QD connectors are great for the P7000, but I would have the same concern as you about using them for my heavier DSLR.

I have gone to Op/Tech Uni-Loops for the DSLR, which are the same kind of thing as the mini QDs, but just more heavy duty. I have used them on my DSLR for awhile now, and they seem to hold up to the extra weight OK.

So in summary, I have three strap systems.

For my Nikon P7000, my Olympus 8010 underwater P&S, and my wife's Nikon S570; I use Op/Tech neck and wrist straps and their mini QD loops. And I modified a floating strap to use the QD loops so they can be quick change with the others.

For my Nikon D90 DSLR, I use a Black Rapid style sling strap, especially for times I am carrying heavy lenses.

But for other times, such as when I have a macro lens and ring flash attached, I don't want to knock the flash off the lens by it bouncing around on my hip, I still use a neck strap. I use either Tamrac or a modified Tenba neck strap and use Op/Tech's Uni-Loops for connection to the camera.

I have several camera bags; all for different purposes - travel kit, macro kit, pro kit, and so on; and so that I don't have to completely empty the contents of one bag and stuff them in another, I usually have the different straps in different bags. But I didn't go out one day and buy a bunch of straps; I have assimilated them over the years (Fathers day gifts, Christmas presents from my cheap brother, and so on).

Anyway, these are the systems I came up with that work for me. Hope this helps.

I am still trying to find a strap for my D60 (that does not require a sewing machine), that would be more comfortable than what came with the camera. I am not familar with this brand but it has good reviews for $20.00.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16178-REG/Domke_742_6BK_1_5_Web_Camera_Strap.html

Overview

<LI id=navCustomerReviews class="last ui-state-default ui-corner-top" sizset="53" sizcache="2" jQuery1310139871412="15">Customer Reviews

Whenever you have to carry your camera outside your bag, these straps provide the same non-slip security as a Domke Shoulder Strap. They come with the hardware needed to attach to any SLR. QR models feature twist-proof quick release extensions. Swivel clips keep the straps lying flat, untangled and easy to buckle/unbuckle. Adjustable length up to 42" (107cm). NOTE: This strap is 1.5" wide.

They make a 1" also (I am trying to figure out if/how it would attach to at least the p7000 Lowepro AW 60 case). A couple of reviewers are wearing this one without the swivel as a sling strap.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16174-REG/Domke_740_6BK_1_Web_Camera_Strap.html

Just to clarify, none of the straps I mentioned needs to be modified, I just modified them for my specific needs.

Well, that is good to know as I am going through all of your detailed specifications. Thank you again for all of the help!

Do a search on Amazon for "floating camera strap" or similar - you should get dozens of choices. The one I have is an "Olympus" brand; I think Pentax and others have their brands as well as generic ones.

Regardless of what "brand" you get, they are all the same.

The strap does come with a small connector, but it is incompatible with the Op/Tech connectors, which is why I changed mine out. Just about all of the floating straps look to have the same connector though (the straps are probably all made in China by the same company anyway). Your biggest problem is to determine what color you want.

What do I need, if anything, besides a Op/tech Mini QD loop to connect the Fuji floating strap (so I can take it off easy with the quick release)?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/795759-REG/Fujifilm_600009201_XP20_XP30_Accessory.html

I am still trying to find a strap for my D60 (that does not require a sewing machine), that would be more comfortable than what came with the camera. I am not familar with this brand but it has good reviews for $20.00.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16178-REG/Domke_742_6BK_1_5_Web_Camera_Strap.html

Overview

<LI id=navCustomerReviews class="last ui-state-default ui-corner-top" sizset="53" sizcache="2" jQuery1310139871412="15">Customer Reviews

Whenever you have to carry your camera outside your bag, these straps provide the same non-slip security as a Domke Shoulder Strap. They come with the hardware needed to attach to any SLR. QR models feature twist-proof quick release extensions. Swivel clips keep the straps lying flat, untangled and easy to buckle/unbuckle. Adjustable length up to 42" (107cm). NOTE: This strap is 1.5" wide.

I am thinking of this 1.5" Domke strap for my Nikon D60. It has great reviews. The Nikon strap that came with the camera is so uncomfortable. especially with my heavy wide angle lens almost always attached. Plus, it is always getting tangled. I really do not need to put it on any type of quick release system. I want a 1.5" strap.

My concerns are (1) the attachments (looks like a clip?), and (2) also concern of the metal scratching the camera (which is my sling back case). Who else makes a swivel? I guess they would all have metal parts?

I made a previous post on this thread about camera straps, but somehow it didn't post correctly. So I'll try to repost an abbreviated version.

What I do with the Mini QD connectors is to take a Tamrac camera strap and adapt it to them. The Tamrac strap comes with a set of adapters - originally intended to connect to a camera body, but I adapted them to the QD connectors:

strap3.jpg

Shown above is the Tamrac camera strap adapter (comes with many tamrac straps) on the left, and QD connector on the right. The Tamrac adapters are supposed to be attached to the DSLR, but since I use them as adapters to the QD connectors, I cannot use them on the DSLR (more on that later).

strap1.jpg

Then the other end of the mini QD can go on the camera. So you can use a nice heavy duty standard Tamrac neck strap on the P7000.

strap4.jpg

And you should get two sets of mini QD connectors in one package, so the other set you can use to connect to your camera pouch.

That way, the camera strap is also the pouch strap - so you won't need to figure out where to store the strap. It is perhaps just a bit short for shoulder use, but it's useable. When I want to store the camera in the pouch, I disconnect the camera strap from the camera and store the camera in the pouch without the strap, and then connect the camera strap to the pouch as a carry strap - and presto - no need to figure out where to store the strap.

One reason I like the Think Tank pouch is that I can fold the pouch flat and stuff it in my pocket when I have the camera out. At any rate, you can connect one set of the QD connectors to your Apex 60 (or any other pouch that has loops for a neck strap).

And if you want to go one step further, you can buy two sets of Op/Tech's Uni-Loop (1301062) and attach them to your DSLR. These come male/female to one set, so you need two sets to get two female ends. Anyway, these fit the Tamrac strap side-release buckles, so you can use the same camera neck strap for your DSLR, D7000, and pouch.

strap5a.jpg

For some reason Op/Tech decided to use a male/female pair for their UniLoops, and as they come as a single male/female set, you have to buy two sets to get two female buckles to attach to the Tamrac camera strap. Luckily though the Op/Tech and Tamrac buckles fit each other.

I like the UniLoops better for my DSLR as they are heavier duty than the Mini QDs. The Mini QD will probably work with a DSLR and light lens, but when I use my 80-200mm f/2.8, it is a heavy lens and I am not trusting it to the smaller loops.

strap6a.jpg

And lastly, I use the same QD mini loops on not only the P7000, but my Qlympus waterproof camera and my wife has a set for her Point & Shoot.

We had to change the strap connector on the floatie strap to a QD connector, but it is a pretty nice setup now that I have everything on one kind of strap connector.

strap1.jpg

Do you think this 1" Domke strap will work on my Lowepro Apex 60 case as well as Nikon p7000?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16174-REG/Domke_740_6BK_1_Web_Camera_Strap.html

I assume if I purchase the Think Tank pouch you recommend, it would work with that as well. I need to make sure I can attach it with the Mini QD loops.

I actually do not have a problem with the 1" Nikon strap that came with the p7000, but need another strap for the Lowepro AW case as the thin strap it came with is not comfortable at all (and of course that case will not fit in my pocket).

I can't see the photo well enough for the Domke strap to tell how it attaches. So the first issue you will have is to make sure it will attach to the pouch you are using. You can possibly use the mini QDs for that, but I am not sure if the Domke can attach to them.

The Tamrac straps have the larger side-release buckle to 3/8" strap adapter pieces shown, so those could be used to adapt the mini QDs to the Tamrac strap.

Not sure how you would do it "tool free" (or sew machine free) on the Domke strap.

Not saying you couldn't get the Domke strap to work, its just I cannot tell from the photo. but if the straps narrow down to about 3/8" wide, I would think you could attach them to the mini QDs just like if it were the camera body.

I can't see the photo well enough for the Domke strap to tell how it attaches. So the first issue you will have is to make sure it will attach to the pouch you are using. You can possibly use the mini QDs for that, but I am not sure if the Domke can attach to them.

The Tamrac straps have the larger side-release buckle to 3/8" strap adapter pieces shown, so those could be used to adapt the mini QDs to the Tamrac strap.

Not sure how you would do it "tool free" (or sew machine free) on the Domke strap.

Not saying you couldn't get the Domke strap to work, its just I cannot tell from the photo. but if the straps narrow down to about 3/8" wide, I would think you could attach them to the mini QDs just like if it were the camera body.

I haven't found anyone at B&H who can confirm (they are in the call center near the store), but photo looks like they "clip" (which means they would not even need another attachment). I did see one of the Tamrac straps locally (liked the idea of a pouch for a memory card, but need a spare battery more) and it is just too large for me. I actually have a number if tamrac bags (one no longer used) so was thinking of you and how you re-use the buckles.

I think the photo on the second link answers my question. There is both a ring and a loop and it should be easy to attach a mini QD if one wishes (for case or smaler camera).

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BE-oT7tEo1UJ:forums.photographyreview.com/showthread.php%3Fp%3D287763+domke+gripper+strap&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

http://www.elekm.net/zeiss-ikon/repair/domke-strap.html

Now, will the mini QD work with the Fuji floating strap?

I really like the Domke straps and there was no issue with the 1" strap set-up for the p7000 case.

And if you want to go one step further, you can buy two sets of Op/Tech's Uni-Loop (1301062) and attach them to your DSLR. These come male/female to one set, so you need two sets to get two female ends. Anyway, these fit the Tamrac strap side-release buckles, so you can use the same camera neck strap for your DSLR, D7000, and pouch.

strap5a.jpg

For some reason Op/Tech decided to use a male/female pair for their UniLoops, and as they come as a single male/female set, you have to buy two sets to get two female buckles to attach to the Tamrac camera strap. Luckily though the Op/Tech and Tamrac buckles fit each other.

I like the UniLoops better for my DSLR as they are heavier duty than the Mini QDs. The Mini QD will probably work with a DSLR and light lens, but when I use my 80-200mm f/2.8, it is a heavy lens and I am not trusting it to the smaller loops.

So, I need to order two of the Op/Tech Uni-Loops (1301062) for my DSLR (one for each side of the camera)? I would be using with the 1.5" Domke swivel strap. I understand that they are made for the Op/Tech neck strap. This would be $14.00 just just for the connectors (which I can not use on anything else, unless I purchase two more connectors)?

http://www.amazon.com/TECH-1301062-System-Connectors-Loop/dp/B0010HA6A6

http://www.elekm.net/zeiss-ikon/repair/domke-strap.html

The strap is 6/16" where it would connect, so maybe I can use the mini QD.

Op/Tech uses a male/female approach, so when you buy a kit of the uni-loops, you get one male and one female. So if you want two females, then you need to buy two kits.

The buckles that Op/Tech uses for the Uni-Loops will interconnect with the Tamrac straps (at least the Op/Tech female sides do). I have no idea whether or not they will work with Domke buckles - I have only tried to mix them with Tamrac straps.

Also, the mini QD loop female sides have 3/8" slots (OK, 6/16"), and they will fit a strap with a 3/8" wide webbing.

The Uniloops have side-release buckles, so they will not fit a strap without the corresponding buckle - that is to say, they will not fit straps with 3/8" or any other webbing on the ends.

Here are the uni-loops:

41je0g6oOWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here are the mini QD loops:

41p7b2I-0bL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Note that for the uni-loops, you normally need an Op/Tech strap that has a male buckle on one end and a female buckle on the other end as shown here. This would work with a single Uni-Loop camera kit as you need one male and one female buckle.

Dumb idea.

31qIkP2wnxL.jpg

But the Op/Tech buckles will interchange with the Tamrac straps, so you can use a Tamrac strap in place of the Op/Tech strap, but since the Tamrac strap has male buckles on both ends, you would need to buy two uni-loop kits to get two female buckles.

The Tamrac has male buckles on both ends of it. And it also has two adapters for the buckles to 3/8" webbing so you can put that on your camera. And the male buckles just happen to work with the female Op/Tech Uni-Loops.

n25g.jpg

So essentially, you are swapping out the Tamrac lower portion for the UniLoops. In the photo below, the strap piece in the top-center is one of two adapters that come with the Tamrac strap. They normally are supposed to connect directly to the camera, but they will also fit the Op/Tech Mini QDs.

strap5a.jpg

The reason I use the Uni-loops for the DSLR is that they are heavier duty than the Mini QD loops, which I only use for my P7000 and smaller cameras.

Of course, you may not even want to go this route, but if you buy (1) Tamrac strap, (2) Uni-Loop connector kits, and (1) Mini QD loop kit (with two sets of connectors), then"

- you can use the female side Uni-Loops on a DSLR

- attach one set of mini-QD loops to the left over Tamrac strap - the "Adapter" in the photo. This adapter that you make with the QD loops and left over Tamrac parts (that you don't need because you used the Uni-Loops for the camera), is used to adapt the Tamrac strap to any device you are using the mini-QD loops on. You make this adapter by simply looping the female buckle of the Mini QD loop into the end of the Tamrac adapter that normally fits on the camera.

- attach the male side of the mini-QD loops you just used to your P7000

- attach the other set of mini-QD loops to your bag or anything else.

That way, one Tamrac strap will work for your DSLR, D7000, and bag.

You will have two male halfs of the Uni-Loops left over, as well as two female halfs of the Mini QD loops left over.

Again, the only strap I am sure this will work with is the Tamrac straps that have those adapters. I cannot say if Domke has such a strap or not.

Hope this clears my previous posts up.

Of course, there are probably dozens of alternative strap combinations you can come up with, so feel free to experiment.

The firmware update came out in Dec 2010. If your camera was manufactured within the last 6 months, it will likely have the latest firmware. I bought mine in Feb 2011, and it had v1.0 on it.

To check the firmware, depress the "menu" button, then down-arrow to the setup menu (the menu with a wrench icon). Then scroll down the menu items until you see Firmware Version (second page). It will have a -- on the value, but right arrow and it will show the firmware version on the camera.

If it is ver 1.1 you have the latest version.

How do I fix this. Will it affect my pictures if I do not? I will have to do it on the ship since I am leaving in the morning. Is there a way to back up the software to a DVD?

How do I fix this. Will it affect my pictures if I do not? I will have to do it on the ship since I am leaving in the morning. Is there a way to back up the software to a DVD?

I am stuck on #5 as no instuctions are displayed when I put the memory card and turn on the camera. I did confirm that the firmware P7000Update is there.

1. Click the download link below for your computer type. 2. Save the file to your desktop for easy location after the download completes.

3. Windows: Run the F-P7000-V11W.exe file to produce the folder labeled P7000Update, containing the folder firmware, which contains the file firmware.bin.

Macintosh: Run the F-P7000-V11M.dmg file to produce the folders labeled P7000Update, containing the folder firmware, which contains the file firmware.bin.

4. Format an empty SD card and use a card reader or similar device to copy the firmware folder to the memory card.

5. Insert the memory card containing the firmware folder in the camera' memory card slot and turn on the camera. Select Firmware version from the setup menu and follow instructions displayed to upgrade the camera's firmware.

6. When Done is displayed in the camera monitor, follow instructions and turn off the camera. DO NOT shut off the camera until Done is displayed. Eject the SD memory card.

7. Access the Firmware version item in the setup menu to confirm that the camera firmware version has been upgraded

For a step by step walkthrough, please click the appropriate PDF Installation Guide below.

You may want to hold off updating if you are going on a cruise tomorrow - you don't want to render your camera inoperative without time to have it corrected.

Here is a PDF that has detailed step-by-step instructions that might be helpful:

http://www.nikonusa.com/software/firmware/coolpix/P7000/WINEN.pdf

I did it about 6 months go, and I cannot remember the specific steps. But looking at the PDF, you need to go into the menu under "Firmware Version" to do the update. If the camera cannot find the update, then the update didn't either download correctly or is not in the right location on the SD card.

Also it is a good idea to make sure your battery is fully charged before doing the update - while it only takes a minute or less to do the update, you don't want the camera to power down half-way through the update.

• 7 months later...
You may want to hold off updating if you are going on a cruise tomorrow - you don't want to render your camera inoperative without time to have it corrected.

Here is a PDF that has detailed step-by-step instructions that might be helpful:

http://www.nikonusa.com/software/firmware/coolpix/P7000/WINEN.pdf

I did it about 6 months go, and I cannot remember the specific steps. But looking at the PDF, you need to go into the menu under "Firmware Version" to do the update. If the camera cannot find the update, then the update didn't either download correctly or is not in the right location on the SD card.

Also it is a good idea to make sure your battery is fully charged before doing the update - while it only takes a minute or less to do the update, you don't want the camera to power down half-way through the update.

They actually helped me right on the HAL cruise last year. HAL has s dedicated Microsoft Tech onboard and free classes (mostly on the Microsoft software).

This is the Tamrac 5689 I sometimes use. You can see how if fits a Canon G12, which is just a tiny bit larger than the P7000 - but for all practical purposes, I would classify them as the same size:

5689-closed_m.jpg5689-open_m.jpg

And my preferred pouch for the P7000; the Think Tank "Modular Pouch". Even though the pouch doesn't have as much padding, it's smaller, and I pack it inside a larger camera bag anyway, so that the small size helps. And I do like the 3 way attachment it has (belt loop, backpack strap loop, and neck strap). It also has it's own little rain cover:

Modular-Pouch-7.jpg

You can see the relative size of the pouch vs the P7000 in this superimposed view.

Modular-Pouch-8.jpg

B&H doesn't sell Think Tank bags, but Adorama and Amazon do.

Is this the same Think Tank Bag?

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Tank-Little-Stuff-Camera/dp/B0069S2RV2/ref=lh_di_t_dup

Archived