Have you just sailed on Sea Princess to Alaska?

laura1960

Welcome back! We are set to sail on her July 29, and am wondering if you could answer a couple of questions:

Did you have any experience with the kids clubs on Sea Princess? Are the kids in the older age group of "Shockwaves," like the 11 and 12-year-olds, able to sign themselves out? From what I've read, all the teens in Remix(13 to 17) are lumped together.....is that the case? Were there a lot of kids on the cruise?

Were the pools warm enough to swim in during the at sea days, and was it warm enough to watch MUTS at night? I know that we'll be there in over a month, and the weather in Alaska changes day to day, even minute by minute, but just wondering what you experienced.

Were there any "don't miss" activities you could recommend...shows, comedians, naturalist lectures, "to-die-for" desserts etc? I realize it's all subjective.

Best spot or deck for glacier viewing? (Assuming you don't have a balcony).

Thanks to anyone who can provide some input! We are first-time Princess cruisers!

We were on the late July sailing on the Sea Princess last year! Yes, it was generally warm enough to watch MUTS at night (they did pass out blankets). We didn't try the pools... As for best spots for glacier viewing, try the bridge wings all the way forward on Lido deck. Also the aft viewing public balconies on Riviera and Aloha decks are nice too. And you can't beat the Promenade if it's raining... they'll be walking around with carts of hot chocolate, coffee and yummy drinks like Irish Coffee... Enjoy your cruise!

Hi Laura1960 - I just got off the Sea Princess on Thursday. Nice cruise but we had noro outbreak the entire cruise. Me and my friend were okay but I know others that were not.

I did not have any kids so can't help you on the kids club...

MUTS or I should say MUTC (Movies Under the Clouds) was cold but we actually went up for a couple movies. They had plenty of blankets out and there was about 15-20 people watching the movies out there. I never tried the pools but a few brave souls did... It was pretty cold on our trip but might be better for you later.

As for shows nothing I saw was a can't miss but I did enjoy the new Princess Production show Britich Invasion because the music was good.

Desserts - The cheesecake I could eat for breakfest, lunch and dinner it they let me... :D but yeah, we all have our own tastebuds... the last sea day they had a dessert buffet which was small but good.

Our day in Glacier Bay was really nasty. It was cold, rainy so I parked my camera and me on the port side forward on the Promenade deck and it was perfect. We approached Margerie glacier on the port side up close and it was spectacular... And it cleared up just a little over the glacier. We did not get close to Lamplough but did get into the inlet a little ways and was able to see it.

I have all the patters and more if you want to know more. If you go to my website below it has my email or just use my CC user name and that is my user name on Yahoo mail and I can scan them if you want to see them.

Nobby

Hopefully the weather will be better in July than in early June. Our day in Glacier Bay was spectacular... sunny with a few clouds. The naturalist said it was the best day that season.

Here's a link to our pictures of the day...

Hi,

We just got off the Sea Princess on June 9th, and while we were ill part of the voyage, my son did recover mid-cruise and was cleared to attend the kids' program for the duration of the voyage. He had a great time at Shockwaves, which is for 8 to 12 year olds. Kids 10 and older can sign themselves in and out with parent permission.

I hope your trip is better than our was. We were diligent about hand-washing and never used public restrooms and three out of four of us still got sick. I am sure it was live virus from the previous voyage wich was still in our cabin.

I don't think I will ever cruise again. I have never , ever been so sick.

Mrsraggy

You see, this is why I LOVE Cruise Critic! This was JUST what I was looking for; thanks so much.

Mrsraggy, so sorry to hear that you and yours got sick. I have always worried about that on cruises (and any other situation where there's a lot of people in a confined space) but so far, I've been lucky (knock on wood). Hope my luck continues.

Rick, it looks like you guys had a fantastic time....I enjoyed seeing your pix!

And Nobby, thanks for the tips! My husband and I will definitely hit the "British Invasion" show....our kind of music!

You see, this is why I LOVE Cruise Critic! This was JUST what I was looking for; thanks so much.

Mrsraggy, so sorry to hear that you and yours got sick. I have always worried about that on cruises (and any other situation where there's a lot of people in a confined space) but so far, I've been lucky (knock on wood). Hope my luck continues.

Rick, it looks like you guys had a fantastic time....I enjoyed seeing your pix!

And Nobby, thanks for the tips! My husband and I will definitely hit the "British Invasion" show....our kind of music!

No problem. Yeah, it was our first cruise to Alaska and we chose it because of the length, sailing out of San Francisco and the visit to Glacier Bay. We almost decided to go again this year, but changed at the last minute because my son and his friend have never been to the Caribbean... so we're off on the Caribbean Princess next month.

Have a great cruise!

Hi There!

My husband and I sailed on this same trip a few years ago and are going to repeat this same voyage on July 9th. My best tip about this trip is about clothes to pack. We experienced an unheard of heat wave, and the temp was 94 degrees in Juneau and also in Victoria, BC. Everybody on the ship was in the same predicament, having brought heavy clothes as per recommended by travel agents. So you might want to pack some lightweight stuff suitable for hot days!:)

Sounds like layering is the way to go. On our last Alaska cruise (Aug 2006, aboard Celebrity Summit), we had pleasant weather most ports (65-70 degrees) but I remember Skagway being HOT!

I'm on the Sea Princess now (paying through the nose for internet!). Today in Glacier Bay we had spectacular weather, and even got to see a pod of 20+ humpback whales cavorting off the boat. The naturalist was beside himself, telling us what a rare event it was to see so many.

We've been lucky -- beautiful weather during the day, and the only clouds or rain we get is at the end of the day, when we're all inside.

Must-dos -- well, I've won 2 of 4 trivia games I played, so far. They're fun, with cheap prizes. The evening game shows are low key, too, but usually pay off with a bottle of champagne. The dance lessons are very popular. Pretty much everything is popular -- this ship is packed!

My favorite meal so far was the night we had vegetable fritters and yogurt soup. I'm a vegetarian, and while they clearly label the vegetarian options on the menu, they're usually aren't many of them. The cheese and fruit plate is really good in a pinch. Bananas Foster was surprisingly good, but not flaming.

My kids are both in the 13-17 age range. They stop by Remix once in a while, and said it's okay -- not great, not bad.

Tomorrow in Juneau!

Thanks, Blooberry! Seeing the whales around the glaciers must have been an swe-inspiring sight! Hope we see some too! Tell the whales to stick around!

And congrats on your trivia wins. Maybe my husband and I will play.

Kids in the 13 - 17 year range rarely say anything is great...it's either "OK" or "lame"! :) Hopefully mine will say it's OK.

we are sailing on the 6-29 cruise in the past my 15 yr old son made friends the 1st two days at teen club and then hung together in and out of teen club basically never saw much or him the rest of the cruise. They can come and go as they wish at teen club.My 8 yr old has to be sined out however

Majorchoice, I would check weather.com for the 10-day forecast closer to your sail date.

Those of you who have sailed on the Sea Princess, did you do Anytime Dining? Was it a hassle?

Laura

We were on the late July sailing on the Sea Princess last year! Yes, it was generally warm enough to watch MUTS at night (they did pass out blankets). We didn't try the pools... As for best spots for glacier viewing, try the bridge wings all the way forward on Lido deck. Also the aft viewing public balconies on Riviera and Aloha decks are nice too. And you can't beat the Promenade if it's raining... they'll be walking around with carts of hot chocolate, coffee and yummy drinks like Irish Coffee... Enjoy your cruise!

hey! i was on the late july sailing on sea princess RT SF too!

if anyone has details about the current cruise for alaska with the sea princess please inform me and everyone else on here about the noro. it's becoming a big talk.

the kids club/teen club... i'm a teen... i don't ever go to those, never will. so i really couldn't tell you how they are but my little sister enjoys them! my personal opinion is that if im responsible i don't need to be held in a place where im watched over... and that i can make my own friends. i've been on this cruise 3 times and i've made plenty of friends.

i suggest let your kids try it out, if they don't like it, don't force them, unless they are trouble makers [which i doubt they are].

Majorchoice, I would check weather.com for the 10-day forecast closer to your sail date.

Those of you who have sailed on the Sea Princess, did you do Anytime Dining? Was it a hassle?

Laura

Laura,

Anytime dining on our cruise had long long lines when we checked. One thing they do not tell you though is teh official time to open is at 5:30 but they are usually open by 5 so if you can or want to eat early there was not much crowds then but by 6 pm the lines were real long and took a long time to seat. Maybe because the noro they were understaffed.

Nobby

Archived