strange question re: only one parent traveling with child

I am about to cruise with my son, but his father (we are married) will not be cruising with us. Is there any special paperwork I need to show that allows me to take DS on the cruise (out of the country)? When we had considered cruising DCL, I thought we had seen something. I wasn't sure on RCI. Does anyone know?

I am about to cruise with my son, but his father (we are married) will not be cruising with us. Is there any special paperwork I need to show that allows me to take DS on the cruise (out of the country)? When we had considered cruising DCL, I thought we had seen something. I wasn't sure on RCI. Does anyone know?

From my understanding red flags start when the children have different last names as the spousees. But to be safe take a noterised letter with you. Best to have all bases coverd

The only time I took my kids (same last name) on a cruise without my husband, I was asked for a letter of consent from my husband. Thankfully I had it! Incidentally, my sister was traveling on the same cruise with her daughter and without her husband, and she was not asked for a letter. So, it's random. You will probably never be asked for it, especially if your child has a passport, but it's easy enough to do, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

If you google "notarized letter permission to cruise" you will get several sample letters that you can tailor to fit your situation.

Have hubby sign a notarized letter stating he gives his permission. They may not ask for it, but better off to have it.

I'd ask a lawyer-my sister left her 2 teenagers in the care of their Grandfather when the travelled within the US, but had a letter authorizing him to make decisions for medical & legal issues if it should be called for. Sometimes simple precautions can avoid problems

The only time I took my kids (same last name) on a cruise without my husband, I was asked for a letter of consent from my husband. Thankfully I had it! Incidentally, my sister was traveling on the same cruise with her daughter and without her husband, and she was not asked for a letter. So, it's random. You will probably never be asked for it, especially if your child has a passport, but it's easy enough to do, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

If you google "notarized letter permission to cruise" you will get several sample letters that you can tailor to fit your situation.

We agree with Donna...better safe than sorry. Many years ago, we took our 9 year old nephew (same last name) and we were asked for a letter of consent. To this day, we still don't know why we were asked. Our guesses would be: He looked a little different than us (half Costa Rican) and he had a different address...:) Fortunately for us, we had the notarized letter in hand...no problem. As Donna said, better safe than sorry. Hope that helps.

Are these notarized letters of consent needed for older children? My brother will be cruising with his 16 year old daughter. Same last name. But I was wondering if we should have a letter signed by his ex-wife with us.

16 years old is still legally a child, and I think it's wisest to have the letter just in case someone asks for it. I'm traveling this summer with my niece - same last name as mine, but I am getting a letter signed by both of her parents just in case someone checks.

I cruised on the Oasis in May with my 16 year old DD. We have different last names as I am divorced from her father and have remarried. We did NOT have a notarized letter from her father because she hasn't seen him in over 2 years and we don't even know where he lives. I did take her passport, her birth certificate, my passport, my birth certificate, my divorce decree showing my last name had been the same as hers but changed to my maiden name, and my marriage license showing my new name... the lady checking us in was thrilled that I was so prepared. She said the family before us had been "sent over to the side" because they didn't have proper papers. However, 4 years ago when I cruised on the Navigator with my then 12 year old DD and 15 year old DS, and my new husband, I was asked for a notarized letter from their father. Luckily, I had one!

I'm cruising with my 15 year old daughter and my husband is staying home. I asked this same question on this board and was told that, even though we have the same last name, they MAY ask me for a notarized letter from my husband allowing her to exit the country. I would have NEVER thought to bring one. I mean, if he were deceased (heaven forbid!) do I bring a death certificate?

I was watching a show about people getting read to board the Oasis etc. and there was a family there, kids had same last name as mom but the "boyfriend" had a different last name. They wanted to see a letter notorized from the husband. I beleive the woman called her ex on the phone right then and there and was able to get a notarized letter (I assume the fax was good enough).

In another scenario, a family accidentally packed one of the kids' expired passpot (instead of the valid one). The child (and hence, the family) was denied boarding. They did "suggest" that someone overnight the passport to them and that they take a flight the next day and meet their cruise at it's first stop but the family decided not to.

I'd ask a lawyer-my sister left her 2 teenagers in the care of their Grandfather when the travelled within the US, but had a letter authorizing him to make decisions for medical & legal issues if it should be called for. Sometimes simple precautions can avoid problems

I would agree with this. There might be some legal forms you can have drawn up that would protect you at all places. With health care being so concerned about patient privacy (hippa laws) it’s better safe then sorry. I know both me and my husband have Advance Health Care Directive drawn up for us even though we are married. Giving permission for each other to make decisions for each other and to be able to find out information on medical stuff about each other. This would cover us no matter where we go.

Archived