Drydock for Oosterdam

I have noticed that a numer of CC'ers have commrnted on the wear and tear on the "O".

I know that she was in drydock in "09. Does anybody know when she is scheduled to go

into drydock for refurbishing? I tried to do a schedule search , but didn't come up with anything. I have sailed numerous times on the "O" and she is one of my favorite ships in the HAL fleet. Will be sailing on her in Oct to Hawaii.

The Oosterdam is going into drydock just prior to returning to San Diego. If memory serves, I believe it is the last week of September or thereabouts.

I was one of the recent reviews that commented on her condition; however, I should point out that I was purposely looking for signs based on posts on this board and that the wear and tear by no means ruined my cruise. Most public spaces were in good condition, although I did notice large portions of paint peeling from the ceiling in the Queen's Lounge; again, something most people wouldn't notice. As far as our cabin went, the lower portion of the bathroom door's frame was nearly rusted through as a result of a shower curtain that was too short. I'm assuming that pooling water was the culprit. The only other issue we noticed, which may be cabin specific, was some wear and tear on our cabin furniture, but again it was still functional and comfortable. My mother's cabin showed less wear and tear except for rust around the window frame.

Given the number of passengers and the time since her last drydock, I don't think any of this was unexpected. In addition, we've seen similar signs of wear and tear on other ships, including Disney Wonder, although not the Disney Magic. Given that 2,000 people board the ship every week, I'm actually surprised the ships look as good as they do.

Oosterdam – September 25, 2011 through October 3, 2011 (in Victoria, BC) before changing to Mexican Riviera itineraries

DH and I are the ones who post the daily fleet locations. I prep the files, and he adds the webcam addresses and posts. The above schedule is from HAL's yearly spreadsheet for ships' locations.

Also thrilled to hear my favorite Vista class ship is having a sprucing up before we cruise on her in October! :D :D

I was on her last January and noticed that the chairs and sofa in the cabin where in need of some reviving! :cool:

Someone mentioned on another thread not to take the first cruise or so after drydock because sometimes they are still completing things during the cruises. I am scheduled for a cruise to Hawaii on October 22. Is that enough time after drydock or is this even a problem?

I think you'll be fine. I've been reading these boards since 2001 and I don't recall more than a couple of sailings after drydock being impacted. Further, I'm not aware of any major changes being made, so the majority of the work will likely be completed while the O is out of service.

Someone mentioned on another thread not to take the first cruise or so after drydock because sometimes they are still completing things during the cruises. I am scheduled for a cruise to Hawaii on October 22. Is that enough time after drydock or is this even a problem?

Hey Honeybear, come join our roll call

Archived