What to do in Key West?

dolphincruiser404

I am visiting Key West in two weeks, and will be there for 4 days. I have never been there before, and am looking for a weekend of beaches and sun. I am getting a bit discouraged by some of the posts though. What are the best beaches? Is the water as clear as in the Caribbean? I have already heard about Duval Street, and am ready to hit all the bars and night life. Just looking for things to do during the day!

If you haven't found out by now you soon will that Key West isn't known for its beaches, however two of the better ones are Smathers beach and Simonton beach. There is a nice beach area at the Atlantic Shores resort and also at the Southernmost hotel too. However, can't tell you about the clarity of the water because when we were there it was quite windy and the water was churned up pretty good.

I don't know if you like historical tours, but my husband and I were just in Key West on a cruise earlier in the week. We went to the aquarium, which is well.. not that great, and the shipwreck historeum, which again, not great. But, we scored big with the Harry Truman Little White House Tour. Its about 45 minutes, and I think it cost 11 bucks a person. It was worth it though, very interesting. Have FUN! I loved Key West. Want to go back again, very soon!

We just got back from our cruise with a stop at Key West where we had one of our best excursions - it was a small catamaran charter that went out to find wild dolphins. Our party of four was the only passengers plus the Captain and mate. We followed several groups and this was the highlight excursion of our cruise.

We go to Key West every year and stay at B&B's around Duval St. First off, if any suggestions don't spark your interest, pop into some of the local shops and ask a local. Most of them are very friendly and laid back types and will chat as long as you will listen. So here's some of our favorite places to visit while there.

1. B.O.'s Fish Wagon: Best fish sandwich in Key West. Don't be turned off by the appearance. There is a great story that goes along with this place!http://www.foodreference.com/html/kbo_sfishwagon.html

2. Key West Cemetary: Sounds creepy, but it's pretty cool. If you can imagine you are at sea level. Where are they buried? It's free to walk in and interesting way to kill an hour or two :eek: (no pun intended).

http://www.keywest.com/attractions/cemetery.htm

3. Peppers of Key West: We LOVE this place. It is always a stop we make. Go in, take a seat, and try all the hottest sauces you've always wanted to try, but were afraid to buy!:o

http://peppersofkeywest.com/

4. Irish Kevin's: Also one of our favorites. Whether it is night or day, there is usually a talented musician on stage performing. If you go a little early, you can avoid the crowd, it gets packed at night to where it is difficult to get through.http://www.irishkevins.com/

5. Schooner Western Union: We did this sunset cruise one time and loved it! They serve complimentary beer, wine, sodas, and conch chowder. They get the patrons involved in helping to raise the sails. I also read they do stargazing night sailings which we might try in the future.

http://www.schoonerwesternunion.com/

I hope these suggestions help. Again, I strongly suggest talking to the locals. For the most part, they all know of each others business and reputations. They can offer suggestions of something that will interest you.

Good luck, oh...and go to Mallory Square for sunset. It's an eclectic circus consisting of local artists, performers, and some of the best conch fritters I've ever had. :p

• 2 weeks later...
I am visiting Key West in two weeks, and will be there for 4 days. I have never been there before, and am looking for a weekend of beaches and sun. I am getting a bit discouraged by some of the posts though. What are the best beaches? Is the water as clear as in the Caribbean? I have already heard about Duval Street, and am ready to hit all the bars and night life. Just looking for things to do during the day!

Night life you shall find! My fiance and I loved Key West so much we are gonna tie the knot there in May.

As most said, there isn't alot of beaches.. but beautiful sites, we rented bikes for our 4 day trip and it was perfect, only transportation needed and we staying on the south side away from the action. Bars are open till atleast 4am with the most interesting and fun entertainers you will ever see. Definately make point to stop at Smokey Joes and if your lucky "Pete & Wayne" will be there.. they are a hoot! Plan on singing to Jimmy Buffett in every bar haha...

Oh don't forget your picture perfect spot at the southern most point of the US bouy...

We just got back from our cruise with a stop at Key West where we had one of our best excursions - it was a small catamaran charter that went out to find wild dolphins. Our party of four was the only passengers plus the Captain and mate. We followed several groups and this was the highlight excursion of our cruise.

What was the name of your charter in Key West and did you book through Carnival? We are going in May.

We used Capt. Jake Perry who owns Mean Green Fishing Charters. He was GREAT. Do a search and you should have no problem finding him. He is from Key West and did a fine job for us. There was 5 of us and we did the 1/2 day and caught plenty. Too bad we had to leave them there!!!!

Watch the personal watercraft.

This is a story from Keynews.com http://keysnews.com/291680787026926.bsp.htm

Man killed in watercraft accident

KEY WEST: A collision between two rented personal watercraft Saturday afternoon killed one man and injured another.

An emergency room spokeswoman at Lower Keys Medical Center confirmed the death of one man, but state privacy laws prohibited her from releasing additional information about the other man's injuries or either man's identity.

The two Princeton, Fla., men rented the watercraft in Key West before colliding near Sunset Key around 2:30 p.m.

A good Samaritan boater in the area initially arrived to help before Coast Guard personnel took the men back to the Coast Guard base, where Key West Rescue met the boat and transported the victims to Lower Keys Medical Center, said a Coast Guard spokesman.

"Initial indications were that they were pretty severe injuries," he said.

Archived