Final payment due date

patty1955

So, I'm checking out the board yesterday and stumble across a thread about room upgrades. Our room on the upcoming cruise is perfect, so I decide to check that the room number hasn't changed. I logged onto Celebrity, pulled up my reservation and realized that my final payment due date was July 1, 5 days previous. I grabbed my purse and made the final payment as quickly as I could and everything appears to be fine.

But I've got to wonder what would have happened if I hadn't noticed? Has anyone ever lost their payments because they missed the deadline? We had already paid $2800, would we have lost that money?

If all is well, you may have been lucky. Last year, when they switched final payment date for most cruises from 70 days out to 75, a computer snafu changed our final payment date and they couldn't change it back. We were told we should be grandfathered in and they would add a note not to cancel the reservation until 70 days out. (We went ahead and made final payment 75 days out anyway, just to be safe.) Apparently, it's not a computer program that automaticaly cancels the booking, and I would guess that you made the payment before someone got to it.

All you would have lost would have been the deposit amount. Out of curiosity, why had you already paid $2800?

I'm assuming you booked this cruise prior to August 1, 2010, as I believe that's when the change from 70 to 75 days days prior to sailing went into effect. Like me, you were grandfathered.

Did you book with X directly or with a TA? If you gave an email address to the cruise line or TA you should have received several email reminders about final payment coming due and probably a warning that you passed the due date for final payment. If you got no emails or calls, or ignored them, you would have lost at least part of your deposit, or your cabin, depending on when you became aware of the problem.

On our 1st cruise, before email was common, the TA messed up paying Celebrity, even though we paid the TA. We ended up losing our mid ship cabin and got one all the way forward. The TA made up for her mistake with an on board credit and a few other perks.

Except for a few group cruises, I now book directly with the cruise line so everything is under my control. I always receive several email reminders from Celebrity.

Mary Lou

We booked the cruise in May of 2010. I paid it all but the last $100 because I was afraid that one I made the final payment, I'd lose the change for OBC if there was a price drop. We booked before the policy changed

Wow! This is something where things are better in the UK. Celebrity always send at least one letter [proper snail-mail post] well before our final payment date. I have it in my diary anyway but it is reassuring.

Sue

Archived