Curious about excursions from Split

Hi, all. For an upcoming cruise we have a full day in Split. We would like to see Diocletian's palace, but we can't tell if we should spend the whole day here. The cruise line (HA) offers a shore excursion which focuses less on Split and more on Salona (ancient ruins) and Trogir. We're curious if people have visited Salona and Trogir and think these are worthwhile visits, or if Split demands a full day of sightseeing. We would be especially curious if people have visited Salona and/or Trogir on their own, and how easy or hard that is. It seems like one good idea would be to walk around Split on our own and then take a bus to Salona or Trogir, but we're not sure if that would be difficult and stressful. Thanks very much.

It's easy to visit Salona using local bus No. 1, the bus station is in the front of the shopping mall near the National Theatre. But I still recommend using a guide because of the story behind these ruins.

You'll probably see my balcony in a blue building near Salona. :)

My little boy in Salona:

P1010005-1.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010030-1.jpg

P1010008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
It's easy to visit Salona using local bus No. 1, the bus station is in the front of the shopping mall near the National Theatre. But I still recommend using a guide because of the story behind these ruins.

You'll probably see my balcony in a blue building near Salona. :)

My little boy in Salona:

P1010005-1.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010030-1.jpg

P1010008.jpg

He is so cute, I want him to be our tour guide. I will come and ask some questions when I research this port in more detail. Thank you. Alice

We took the RCCL tour to Solona and Trogir and though I am not a fan of ship tours this one was excellent and well worth the money. The guide was excellent, we had headsets so we could all hear everything that he said, and he was local so he gave us lots of insight that we never would have had if we had tried to do it on own. He explained not only tour sights but all the areas we drove by, including the downtown areas of Split, the countryside we drove by, the olive groves, etc. The ruins of Solona were amazing though small and we had ample time there. Trogir is quite a bit away from the port and was a really nice ride through the area. It was unexpectly very interesting to my 11 year old. The tour drops you off right in from of the area of Diocletian's palace and you could easily do both.

Archived