Category W - What can we expect?

cf2404

We have just booked the Century on May 21 for Scandinavia/Russia. First time ever on a cruise and we have been told by our agent that we are on a "Guaranteed Suite" rate, ie. we will get a Sky Suite or better. Confirmation has just come through and it staes Category W. What does this mean, what are the chance of getting better than a Sky Suite. I would be happy with that but just curious if anyone knows the different categories.

I think the chances of getting better than a Sky Suite are very low. It seems to me that if a full-fare paying passenger, especially one with a long repeat history on the line, books a Sky Suite, they would bump that person up to a better suite and you'd get theirs.

My mom & I booked a W guarantee for a trip next month on the Horizon. We booked it knowing that even if we only ended up in a Horizon Suite, we'd still be saving well over $300 per person by letting them pick our cabin for us. When our assignment came in we got the "worst" of the Horizon Suites. It's the one the most forward, and is on the "wrong" side of the ship for best island viewing for our particular itinerary.

HOWEVER -- it's still a Horizon Suite and we still saved over $300 per person on it, so we're not complaining one bit!! We joked about maybe lucking out and getting the Celebrity Suite -- and as of this moment they are still unbooked on this particular trip -- but we knew that truthfully the most we could expect is what we got. Personally, I think it's a bit of a carrot they hold out, making you think you *might* do better than the lowest category in the guarantee range, especially since you're getting a decent discount off that lowest category in the first place.

Now, if for some reason all the Sky Suites on your trip sell out to people paying the standard fares and if no one wants to be upgraded, then maybe you'll get lucky and get the next category suite up! But I certainly wouldn't hold my breath for it.

When I did my 'Y' GTY (Ocean View) I didn't get any sort of upgrade either. Just saved about $300 p/p then if I choose my room. We could have had a worse room, but didn't get a real good one in that category either...

I haven't ever had a guarantee for a suite on Celebrity, but I would take the chance if the price were right. Our first guarantee for a suite (mini) is on our upcoming NCL trip and I am afraid, but hoping not, that we will get a front mini suite. No matter what we will enjoy the trip. Just hope I don't get seasick. My husband never does, so it won't matter to him. If we got what we paid for, it's the rear of the ship and I think I would prefer that even in Alaska.

Katie

Archived