Floatplane excursion-juneau or ketchikan?

Cruise Virgin 22

Am trying to book an excursion-1st time cruisers and first time to Alaska. I've read good things about the Floatplane in Ketchikan to Misty Fjords and good things about in Juneau to Mendenhall Glacier. Probably will only do one. Any advice on which?

Also, any difference between floatplane or helicopter?

And is this something an older person can do?

My suggestion would be the Float Plane in Ketchikan. The views are spectaular and the planes land on the Fjord allowing one to step out onto the poonton to look around. If you can manage it, my suggestion for Juneau would be a helicopter that actually lands on the glacier allowing you to get out and walk around. We have done both (also the glacial dog sledding in Juneau) and believe float plane in Ketchikan and helicopter in Juneau is the way to go.

Am trying to book an excursion-1st time cruisers and first time to Alaska. I've read good things about the Floatplane in Ketchikan to Misty Fjords and good things about in Juneau to Mendenhall Glacier. Probably will only do one. Any advice on which?

Also, any difference between floatplane or helicopter?

And is this something an older person can do?

We thought Misty Fjords was nice but I would rather view a glacier any day!

Both are excellent flight opportunites. You may want to look at all your tour priorities and determine, what else is of interest, then book the flightseeing based on the best use of your time?

We did a boat ride to Misty Fjords with a floatplane coming back. That was a nice trip but it did not compare with a helicopter ride to a glacier and landing on the glacier.

We did that out of Anchorage with ERA helis. As it worked out, DW and I were the only passengers. The glacier landing and getting out and walking around were great. The scenery was fantastic and with the heli, you could pass by things very slowly or hover over really interesting sights. It was almost unbelieveable to slowly come up the back side of a mountain and then peek over the top to the valley below. Absolutely amazing.

Enjoy your trip.

Archived