Falmouth Jamaica?

Linco711

would like to know that also.

icon1.gifFalmouth update

We just got back from the Oasis of the Seas and a stop to Falmouth. I would say it has a long way to go to be anywhere close to the other ports Royal Caribbean stops like at (Cozumel, St Maarten, St Thomas, etc.) The people are very nice and welcoming. However, there were not very many indoor shops open, alot of construction still going on and the transportation is not as organized as other ports. I personally would not go back for awhile. There is not alot to do close to the port. All the excursions required at least a half hour drive to get to. Below are some pics.

attachment.php?attachmentid=201022&stc=1&d=1311188659

One of the buildings still under construction and a long way from being done.

attachment.php?attachmentid=201023&stc=1&d=1311188659

To the left of the building that wasn't finished in 1st picture

attachment.php?attachmentid=201024&stc=1&d=1311188659

All the shops were street vendors similar to what you would find at Royal Caribbeans' private islands - wood stuff, necklaces, etc. A few food stands but no sit down restaurants. Clean, but so much still needs to be done.

All the buildings you see are not open customers - all shopping outdoors

attachment.php?attachmentid=201025&stc=1&d=1311188659

attachment.php?attachmentid=201026&stc=1&d=1311188659

RCCL Mariner of the Seas 2006 Western

RCCL Freedom of the Seas Nov 2007 Eastern

RCCL Independence of the Seas Nov 2008 Western

RCCL Freedom of the Seas Dec 2009 Eastern

RCCL Oasis of the Seas Oct 2010 Eastern

Carnival June 1990

Thank you for the update. What a wasted stop! :confused: Why don't they change the ship itinerary until the construction is done? Makes me not want to do a western. IMO It would be much better to just have another sea day...;)

Thank you for the update. What a wasted stop! :confused: Why don't they change the ship itinerary until the construction is done? Makes me not want to do a western. IMO It would be much better to just have another sea day...;)

there is still stuff to do. My wife & her friend will not get off the ship here but my friend and I will be doing a zip line tour or something. There are tons of beautiful sites and exciting things to do in Jamaica (Dunns River Falls, Dr's Cave Beach, Fern Gully, Rose Hall, etc.)

What I do agree with is that this "manufactured port" is a little far from all the great things to do in MoBay and Ochi. Oh well, I am sure RCCL and the Jamaican Tourism people know....If we build it they will come.....

Are there any updates on this Port? Is it finished or still a construction Zone?

Heading there in about 3 weeks..:)

OP -

It is ridiculous to think that this is a "wasted" port. (unless you don't like to leave the port area? Or, cant leave the port area due to mobility issues)

We are also just back from Falmouth, Jamaica. We investigated all-inclusives (we have been to Jamaica 3x in the past, climbed falls, drove the island with a private tour guide, swam w/ dolphins, etc) We wanted a chill on the beach day, and Iberostar suites came highly recommended, and did not disappoint! It was the highlight of the cruise and ONLY a 15 minute drive from Falmouth to being in the Lobby of Iberostar.

For others reading, if you're not the type to venture further then the port-area, we were told that it will be finished by Sept (not 100% complete, but the majority of the now outdoor vendors will be thrilled to be indoors in their shops). DH and I were lucky enough to have a wonderful conversation with one of the head construction guys. (you can see him and other pictures in my review-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439785&page=14

It is ridiculous to think that the port of Falmouth will ever be like

St Thomas/St Maarten as these are & have been developed for decades. Falmouth will most likely be on the order of other cruise line developed places (Grand turk CCL port comes to mind as well as the immediate areas close to where the ship docks, maybe closer to what Havensight is like? These small, manufactured areas are not indicative of what these islands have to ffer though, but they do cater to those who don't or cant venture further.

OP -

It is ridiculous to think that this is a "wasted" port. (unless you don't like to leave the port area? Or, cant leave the port area due to mobility issues)

We are also just back from Falmouth, Jamaica. We investigated all-inclusives (we have been to Jamaica 3x in the past, climbed falls, drove the island with a private tour guide, swam w/ dolphins, etc) We wanted a chill on the beach day, and Iberostar suites came highly recommended, and did not disappoint! It was the highlight of the cruise and ONLY a 15 minute drive from Falmouth to being in the Lobby of Iberostar.

For others reading, if you're not the type to venture further then the port-area, we were told that it will be finished by Sept (not 100% complete, but the majority of the now outdoor vendors will be thrilled to be indoors in their shops). DH and I were lucky enough to have a wonderful conversation with one of the head construction guys. (you can see him and other pictures in my review-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439785&page=14

It is ridiculous to think that the port of Falmouth will ever be like

St Thomas/St Maarten as these are & have been developed for decades. Falmouth will most likely be on the order of other cruise line developed places (Grand turk CCL port comes to mind as well as the immediate areas close to where the ship docks, maybe closer to what Havensight is like? These small, manufactured areas are not indicative of what these islands have to ffer though, but they do cater to those who don't or cant venture further.

The Iberostar sound just what we are looking for.I want a nice beach day that isn't far away.15 minutes or so ? That sounds great,did you go with RCLL or made your own way ? Is there more than one Iberostar,i so which one is the nearest is it the suites ?

The Iberostar sound just what we are looking for.I want a nice beach day that isn't far away.15 minutes or so ? That sounds great,did you go with RCLL or made your own way ? Is there more than one Iberostar,i so which one is the nearest is it the suites ?

Iberostar Suites or Beaches is basically the same property. They are next door to one another. Exact same distance and time. From the time we left the port into the lobby, it took 15 minutes.

DH called Iberostar directly (phone # on the web site) to book the day passes for us. They did not take or require a deposit, but we asked to be emailed a confirmation of date and they did.

Iberostar Suites or Beaches is basically the same property. They are next door to one another. Exact same distance and time. From the time we left the port into the lobby, it took 15 minutes.

DH called Iberostar directly (phone # on the web site) to book the day passes for us. They did not take or require a deposit, but we asked to be emailed a confirmation of date and they did.

And then just took a taxi from the port area to get there ?

I am confused between Hilton Rose Hall and Iberostar Rose Hall. With Jamaica for a day, it looks like Hilton Rose Hall?

Is this the same as is offered by RCI?

Those that have been:

1) Which one did you go to?

2) What is the best way to book and what transportation do you recommend?

Thanks!

Archived