Wild West Clear Kayak in Bermuda

TerpsBball

I was wondering if anyone has done the Wild West Clear Kayak shore excursion? If so, can you provide a review? Also, what time in the morning does it leave and return? We were wondering if we could do this the last day in Bermuda (ship leaves at noon).

I was wondering if anyone has done the Wild West Clear Kayak shore excursion? If so, can you provide a review? Also, what time in the morning does it leave and return? We were wondering if we could do this the last day in Bermuda (ship leaves at noon).

Our group of four did this excursion a few weeks ago, on July 4th. We did the afternoon excursion which was at 1:30 p.m. The morning excursion was at 9:00 a.m. While the ship's description of the excursion states that it lasts 3.5 hours, ours lasted close to four hours. Also, the description states that you paddle for 30 to 40 minutes. We paddled much longer than that.

If your excursion is at 9:00 and the ship leaves at noon, your all-aboard time will likely be 11:30 so I don't see how this excursion could be offered that morning unless they start sooner and curtail the paddling time. Check online at your cruiseline's website to see if it's offered that day.

In my signature below, there is a link to my cruise review which touches on this excursion. I'm happy to provide you with a little more detail.

We were docked in King's Wharf. We met on the pier at 1:15. Our boat was there waiting for us, which we boarded at 1:30. It was like a big covered pontoon boat. Our guide was Dean, who is American and married to a Bermudian, and his assistant was Sara. They were both great, and they enouraged the small children aboard to steer the boat.

It was probably a 25-minute boat ride to the beach in Somerset where the kayaks were lined up waiting for us. There is a locked room where you get your life jackets and paddles, and you can also lock belongings in that room while you are kayaking.

The kayaks are tandem, and you are not required to wear the life jackets. They just have to be on your kayak with you. We sat on ours. The kayaks have two plexiglass pieces to look through. They'd fog up a little, but you just had to splash water into them. We didn't see any sealife through the glass. While the excursion was very enjoyable, the glass bottoms aren't really a selling point in my opinion.

We paddled for quite a long time, taking several breaks while Dean explained what we were seeing and also talked about life in Bermuda. It was not exertional paddling. We made one stop where he took a break for everyone to get out and stretch and to have an opportunity for a short swim. We saw a few sea turtles while on the boat and while kayaking.

Then we paddled back to where we started, returned the paddles and life jackets to the secure room, gathered our belongings and walked up the hill to a resort where we used the restrooms and had a complimentary soda/water. After a short rest there (the views are breathtaking), we walked back down to the boat and were lucky enough to have Dean take us under the Somerset Bridge, which is the world's smallest drawbridge, and were dropped off back at the pier close to 5:30.

Dean and Sara had soda and beer for sale on the boat ride back to the pier and also had complimentary water. Also, there is a bathroom on the boat.

We really enjoyed this excursion and highly recommend it. Be sure to use lots of sunscreen, especially on your legs, as my shins blistered and are still peeling...and our excursion was three weeks ago tomorrow.

Archived