Can I do the 4:30 White Pass and make it back in time?

rrobynec

I am booked for the Musher's camp excursion in the morning and really would love to be able to do the train as well.

There is a 4:30PM departure. They say it is a 3--3.5 hour ride, and the ship is scheduled to leave at 8:15.

Is this possible, or am I cutting it way too close?

If you're going with NCL, yes. If you are booking on your own, no. You will be required to be back on the ship 30 minutes before departure.

You never know when the train will breakdown or other unforseen circumstances.

When DH and I took the train, we had surprisingly hot weather for Alaska. The engine overheated and we sat on the tracks for close to an hour waiting for another engine to arrive in order to continue the excursion. Fortunately, we had booked through the ship and it had to wait foe those of is who returned late. I think you are cutting it too close to take this excursion independently.

Make sure that round trip. I guess we took it further, it was like 4 hours one way on the train and the shuttle bus 2.5 hours one way. There was no way we could do two excursions that day. By the way, there were a couple of wow and ahhh scenic moments, for the most part we weren't impressed and were bored. Only scenery, no wildlife and the train goes very slow. Some people seemed very impressed. I find the Appalachians, blue ridge and white mountain ranges way better.

Well, I have ruled out the 4:30 trip. There aren't any others that will go along with our AM excursion. The website said the trip was 3--3.5 hours, but this is just way too close to even think about it.

So.....

Dyea Dave has two different excursions that we could do--Summit Tour and Beyond and Trip to Dyea.

Any comments about these two tours?

Well, I have ruled out the 4:30 trip. There aren't any others that will go along with our AM excursion. The website said the trip was 3--3.5 hours, but this is just way too close to even think about it.

So.....

Dyea Dave has two different excursions that we could do--Summit Tour and Beyond and Trip to Dyea.

Any comments about these two tours?

The are completely different directions. Dyea, is the site of a competing gold rush "city", that Skagway won out over. It is interesting scenery and good stories. The White Pass, is mountains, and more scenery. Also you get a "Welcome to Alaska" sign stop. :)

The are completely different directions. Dyea, is the site of a competing gold rush "city", that Skagway won out over. It is interesting scenery and good stories. The White Pass, is mountains, and more scenery. Also you get a "Welcome to Alaska" sign stop. :)

Very helpful information. Now, I will let my DD decide which she wants to do. ;) Thank you very much!

Maybe you can answer another question for me--the Summit Tour mentions that train fare is additional. Is the train part of the 2.5 hour tour, or do you board after the excursion, and it take you back to Skagway?:confused:

Archived