Wood Carvings

Nanatochase

I'm looking for something made from the wood in Belize. I've seen pictures of the wood on House Hunters and it's so beautiful, that I want something made from it. Nothing real expensive, just something. Anyone know a place close to the port where I can buy something? I read on here that Caye Caulker has a little "shop" area, but I really don't want to go there. Thanks for any suggestions.

If you are also going to Roatan their prices for the same items were much better. Salad bowls, ice buckets, etc etc. you shop at either the area by the port or (in Belize) the little area just outside the tourist area. Saw a beautiful huge salad serving bowl with six individual bowls for $70 in Belize and paid $26 with many to choose from in Roatan!

Ok this may sound crazy but how can you check the wood to see if there may be bugs in it....years ago some friends and I went to Cancun and one person brought a wood animal....two weeks after we got home bugs started to come out of the wood :eek:

I would love to buy a bowl or something on our trip but all I keep seeing in my mind are those bugs!

Oh and I have no idea what kind of wood the animal was made out of.:)

Sorry OP I did not mean to high jack your thread:) Good luck on finding a great piece!

Never thought of any little critters hiding in the wood. I don't usually buy stuff like that, but after watching all the home shows and seeing the wood cabinets and furniture made from the wood in Belize, I've just wanted to buy something. Thanks for the tip on Roatan. We are going there, so I may wait. I just know it's Mahagany wood, so I'm sure I can find something. Thanks for the tips on the bugs though.

Never thought of any little critters hiding in the wood. I don't usually buy stuff like that, but after watching all the home shows and seeing the wood cabinets and furniture made from the wood in Belize, I've just wanted to buy something. Thanks for the tip on Roatan. We are going there, so I may wait. I just know it's Mahagany wood, so I'm sure I can find something. Thanks for the tips on the bugs though.

I agree I love watching the home shows that show the Belize wood, it is beautiful! The bug thing was probably a fluke thing, have fun shopping!:)

i bought the prettiest heart shaped bowl at the Altun Ha ruins, but i saw wood products at the port and right outside the port area too that was in January 2010 i believe.

We are doing Altun Ha too! Where did you get the heart shaped bowl and if you don't mind me asking what did it cost? Was it mahoganey wood?

Archived