What can we do in Sitka, Alaska?

Dreamakermom

We just walked around Sitka and had lunch. Then walked up to the national park with all the Totem poles. We were just there a month ago and we WERE able to see the totem poles. The Sitka Sound Science Center (the one people mentioned as a free aquarium with small donations welcomed) was SO cool. Had tanks filled with sea urchins, starfish, and other sea creatures you were welcome to touch.

Sitka is probably our favorite stop on an Alaskan cruise. The first time we were there we went to St. Michaels, the Bishop's house, the Block house and the National Park facility.

The second time we went to the Russian cemetary, aided a fellow passenger who had became separated from her DH and we took a high speed ocean raft along the volcano coast by Mt. Edgecomb. What a BLAST!, 6 passengers don survival suits and head out onto the water. We saw otters rafting in a kelp bed and a grey whale came within about 10 feet of our raft. We saw all kinds of sea birds, eagles went into a sea cave and saw orange and purple starfish along the walls of the cave. Oh, and the ride rivals any amusement park ride out there, we came in to meet the last tender doing figure eights in the harbor.

Both times the weather has been perfect and the visits have always been memorable. Even the tender ride is so scenic.

Don't worry I don't think you can go wrong in such a pictuesque and historic town.

Across from the Ben Franklin store they sell Reindeer hot dogs! My grandson gets one every trip.

"Reindeer hotdogs"? Is it me? I really hate to admit this but what in the world is it? A food, a souvenier, a pet?? OMG! I feel so stupid asking!!! :o

Besides the tours, etc., try to find time to stop by The Chocolate Moose shop at or near, if I remember correctly, the end of the "main drag" of stores. A delightful flowers, gifts, and chocolates venue, and each time I drink from my souvenir mug, I recall it fondly! They have a website.:)

lol, that is one place I immediately think of when hearing Sitka...I'm still enjoying my Chocolate Moose t-shirt! And another vote for the Sea Otter and Wildlife tour, we saw sea otters of course, but also eagles up in the trees, blacktailed deer, a simply unforgettable day (and it's been a while!). We also saw the Russian Church as well. I love Sitka and missed it during our second Alaska cruise, as it is not a port of call with Royal Caribbean. Enjoy! Oh, and reindeer something or other was offered during our float trip from Juneau... I didn't partake, but assume it's reindeer meat? :confused: I hope not...

A reindeer hot dog is simply a hot dog made from reindeer (domesticated caribou) meat. It's not much different than a venison or bison hot dog. It's leaner than beef or pork and has a slightly gamey flavor, like elk. I don't really care for red meats but I ate a reindeer hot dog when I was in Juneau just so I could say I tried it.

During a fishing trip in the Kenai area a few years ago we were served reindeer sausage with our eggs and toast every morning. It looked like hot dogs and did not really have any notable flavor. I think it remains popular to visitors more from the novelty factor.

Yes! We also enjoyed the wonderful walk through town to the Raptor Center. It was a great way to see the neighborhoods as well as stretch our legs. After enjoying the center, we walked back a slightly different way and still had plenty of time to go through the Cathedral, and enjoy the shops. There is a great bookstore there on the main street and I think it was near a local coffee shop that sold homemade treats. We really enjoyed the charming town and beauty of this port.

However, it sounds like other people really enjoyed seeing the otters. We did see them from the ship just playing in the water, so be sure to look before you come to shore.

This relaxing day was one of my favorites on the cruise.

Archived